Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Every year it feels like I hate birthdays more and more. This year, I'm laying here in bed with pain. Had nightmares all last night. Wondering how I'm going to pull off a family dinner outing knowing I'm still healing from my surgery. This hasn't been my year.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ugh! Last night I arranged a snow removal service. Just kill me!

I feel that way when I make my fuel contract for the heating season. Invariably I end up driving into town to settle the deal on the hottest day in August. Driving back home with the car windows open to catch any breeze, stone broke and telling myself it's an investment to give someone money to make it possible for my furnace to blow that kind of hot air up a chimney.

Today what's on my mind or at least top of to-do list is cutting down (well, pulling up) the jewel weed that by summers' end grows tall around the gas tanks and in the little alleyway to them. I don't see so many honeybees snacking amid their flowers at this point, so I'm closing that restaurant for the season today. :D Almost time for the fuel guy to top off the tanks, then the regular deliveries start end November.

Where did summer go!? We've had weeks with rain practically every day and not many nights dropping off cold, so there aren't the usual flashes of autumn color in the trees yet... but the calendar says it's almost time for early frost warnings around here.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Every year it feels like I hate birthdays more and more. This year, I'm laying here in bed with pain. Had nightmares all last night. Wondering how I'm going to pull off a family dinner outing knowing I'm still healing from my surgery. This hasn't been my year.
That sounds like not a "good place" to be.

Hope you're on the mend…

Birthdays are a state of mind for me. (Captain Obvious chiming in, sorry!)
But usually it's the fuss others create around it that irk me most.
Some years I just want the calendar to tick over in quietly.
Other years I want to get out and celebrate as if it were my last (and we never know… ;))

Still, hope you feel loads better soon.
[doublepost=1536759304][/doublepost]
I feel that way when I make my fuel contract for the heating season. Invariably I end up driving into town to settle the deal on the hottest day in August. Driving back home with the car windows open to catch any breeze, stone broke and telling myself it's an investment to give someone money to make it possible for my furnace to blow that kind of hot air up a chimney.

Today what's on my mind or at least top of to-do list is cutting down (well, pulling up) the jewel weed that by summers' end grows tall around the gas tanks and in the little alleyway to them. I don't see so many honeybees snacking amid their flowers at this point, so I'm closing that restaurant for the season today. :D Almost time for the fuel guy to top off the tanks, then the regular deliveries start end November.

Where did summer go!? We've had weeks with rain practically every day and not many nights dropping off cold, so there aren't the usual flashes of autumn color in the trees yet... but the calendar says it's almost time for early frost warnings around here.
A town on a hot day in August… even though I have never been to your part of the world, I have this vivid imagery.
Your descriptions are often so evocative I tend to read them as if I were watching a film.
:)

But yes, where did summer go?
We had a blazing hot scorcher… and then… it… just… vanished… poof. Into endless grey clouds hanging over us.
*sigh*

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

I so hope for you to have a better year ahead.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Had the tank filled with oil yesterday, - the tank was still half full having last been filled in May - and had the plumber out to service the boiler and check the radiators today.

So, yes, a form of autumn planning.

In essence, I am taking advantage of my mother's week in respite care to get stuff done that is less easily tended to when she is around.

@LizKat, great post, very evocative

@Septembersrain; good luck with all that ails you and I hope you are on the mend.

Re birthdays, as a kid, I loved them, and as a teen, young adult, and indeed, middle aged adult (with the soul of an Inner Curmudgeon), I detested them.

Now, I take a more mellow view; if someone wants to salute me on my birthday, wonderful, and most kind of them.

If not, I salute myself, with a Glass of Something Nice - and either attend a good concert, or, other years, host a small dinner party - whereupon I choose the venue, the menu and and supply the wines - and will invite a few people whom I like and respect to join me.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Hhad the plumber out to service the boiler and check the radiators today.

Ah yes, we had the radiators checked last week… bleeding them caused the pressure to drop to 0… the usual valve didn't do anything — turned out it was just an obscure screw right at the back that had to be given a half turn. Who knew? Not the manual!

(Birthdays) …host a small dinner party - whereupon I choose the venue, the menu and and supply the wines - and will invite a few people whom I like and respect to join me.
Very civilised.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I hope you make that dinner to YOURS, and not something you do for them.
It’s your birthday, it’s on your terms.
Especially, as your not well. Celebrate you, that you got yourself through the surgery, that you are alive.

Families and relatives can be so good, and so draining.
I grow up in one with half of both, so to speak. So I know the importance to put down the foot, and build my own integrity and participate on my own terms. That can be annoying for those who don’t.
It really affects your health in a wrong direction, if you don’t draw the lines where you want to have them.
Think about it, and make it a good day for YOU.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
First day of school for my daughter

I applied for another job in Alaska and I'm hoping this one doesn't get cancelled like the last one but it is the end of the FY.

I can see AK in the summer (relatives who took contracts for medical care jobs up there totally loved living in the Sitka area) but in winter... I'd have to get sunlamps not to lose my mind.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Haha!
I have however found myself getting less mellow as I age (dis)gracefully.
:)

You and me both. The older I get, the more problems I have with authority. Also, more cranky. :p

But at least I only have to deal with mom’s ailments for now. No more math etc. Well, wait. I am bristling at Apple’s new AppleCare+ fee. For $399 give me an SE and AC+... insane. :confused:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I can see AK in the summer (relatives who took contracts for medical care jobs up there totally loved living in the Sitka area) but in winter... I'd have to get sunlamps not to lose my mind.

Ever tried living in upstate NY :eek::p

Honestly I want the winters as much as the summers combined with all the free space, mountains, and pioneering ideals it seems wonderful.

Wainwright.jpg

No people, no noise, no smell :)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ever tried living in upstate NY :eek::p

Honestly I want the winters as much as the summers combined with all the free space, mountains, and pioneering ideals it seems wonderful.

The dark even partway upstate in the mountains is enough for me, even though winter's my favorite season. Where you are now in the way north of NY they sure get a serious winter.

I must say that the photos the kin sent of the scenic waters and mountains in the Sitka area in coastal Alaska were very appealing, I can see why they have considered doing it again... but in summer again, definitely not winter. I had other kin by a brother's marriage who lived up in the boondocks north of Fairbanks in the interior of Alaska. They always did a lot of camping summers in the state parks but stuck close to home winters except for horsing around in new snowfall with their dogs. I gathered the winters there are not for the faint of heart.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apparently, this tech super-giant company released some new cellphones, so that's pretty cool. Oh, they also invented a new kind of clock or something.

Reactions: chown33

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I’m quite unimpressed of that tech giant these days.
They’re so boooring, nothing exiting, at all.
They just ditch SE :(

So I wondered how many ppl are tired of these giant phones from that giant tech giant.
I was thinking, there must be more people like me. People that Apple don’t hear or see.

So I googled.....and....a small phone :D
I think it will come more reactions to these giant phablets.
Just sorry the tech giant are not so innnovative these days.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/light-phone-2#/

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Doesn't do half the things the SE can do, no banking apps or email means a hard pass from me. Might as well just buy a $39 candybar style Nokia
I don’t even need 10% of what SE can do of a phone, believe it or not. And I don’t need it with me all the time.
I have an iPad for that :D
Not saying I will buy that one, my SE will be good for another 2yrs.
I’m super glad it comes a reaction to these phablets.
It WILL come more!!!

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
It’s busy and I forgot about yesterday’s event. Time to go find a summary of it. Thanks.
[doublepost=1536838673][/doublepost]

Kinda right there with you. I like the quality of life Apple has help provide me, but I’m a bit unwowed. (Is unwowed a word?)
Honestly I am not impressed by any tech giant these days, I am happy with my Apple gear and it still works very well. I do think they made a mistake discontinuing the SE but hope there is a slight chance they will put out another small phone. As I said before I am looking forward to iOS 12 and MacOS Mojave much more.

Smartphones have hit a plateau and that's ok.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
It’s busy and I forgot about yesterday’s event. Time to go find a summary of it. Thanks.

Kinda right there with you. I like the quality of life Apple has help provide me, but I’m a bit unwowed. (Is unwowed a word?)
Believe me, you didn’t miss a thing. You can check here and the website for the news. It’s quite obvious. Think there’s some dudes who do 5 minutes summary, that I’ve seen.

Decided yesterday that it was last time I gave away 2hr of my attention to some punks ranting about things I don’t care about. Gaming on the iPhone, so exiting I almost peed my pants :rolleyes:

I will always remember dearly how inspiring Steve and the events with him was. It have given me plenty too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.