Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Notice 'what's on your mind' has quickly become a food thread!

Think that says a lot about us! :)

How right you are.

Well, dinner this evening will be the carer's legendary clam broth; she arrived home from the market with clams and wild tuna. (Thus, clams, wild tuna, and vegetables, - pepper, onion, leek, Chinese cabbage, cherry tomatoes - along with a little chilli and ginger, - will all make an appearance in the broth.) Served with rice.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Chicken, rice noodles and vegetable stir fry tonight. Trying not to think about it!
[doublepost=1537027898][/doublepost]
Thinking healthy food it’s great thoughts, it’s health.
Thinking junk food, ehhh.
Big difference.
Tbh I tend to only eat healthy anyway. Given my wife's intolerance to most foods. We have a very boring palette.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
No worries that I might boil kale; I prefer them with a Round Up vinaigrette. :mad:
Buy your kale. Strip the leafy part from the inner portion. Recycle, throw away or compost inner portion. Wash the leaves. Shake excess water off of them. Place in large freezer bag and put them in the freezer. This way they're tender when you cook them. Clear broth kale potato soup is delicious in the winter. It's got onions, garlic, kale, carrots, hot peppers, etc. in it. Kale salad is easier. Make you vinaigrette and mix by hand and salt. It'll wilt within a half hour to a point of easy chewing but still look great. Chopped toasted pecans and hydrated cranberries go best with it. Up until maybe 2011 I hadn't had kale since I was a little kid. It's made a comeback. And if you want to touch your midwestern roots, there's some awesome gooey cheesy kale dips out there.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Went to the store today to buy some tape and other knicknacks. There was Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas decor and food items for sale. It's still ****ing September.

Reactions: three and Gutwrench

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Went to the store today to buy some tape and other knicknacks. There was Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas decor and food items for sale. It's still ****ing September.

I hate that, it’s still officially summer by the calendar for heavens sake. When the outdoor terraces close up then I know winter is coming.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Have you any Finnish ancestry?

Finns are about the only people I know who can drink - and enjoy drinking - in companionable silence.

Not that I’m aware. Paternal grandparents came from Germany as did my maternal great-grandparents. My paternal side is the reason for my prayer. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not that I’m aware. Paternal grandparents came from Germany as did my maternal great-grandparents. My paternal side is the reason for my prayer. :)

Well, as you know, there are the morose silent drinkers, (best given a wide berth), and then, there are the ones who are comfortable with companionable silence (a category that includes quite a few Finns, in my experience). They tend to break their silence only to ask about the next round ("same again?") and, even then, sometimes the expenditure of words may verge on the parsimonious.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Well, as you know, there are the morose silent drinkers, (best given a wide berth), and then, there are the ones who are comfortable with companionable silence (a category that includes quite a few Finns, in my experience). They tend to break their silence only to ask about the next round ("same again?") and, even then, sometimes the expenditure of words may verge on the parsimonious.
I first heard of this from a friend who was married to a Finn and lived there for 3 years.
Then I read the same thing in The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia, by Michael Booth.
Apparently some national stereotypes are true. :eek:

Edit: I have only been as far into Finland as Helsinki airport, but it did strike me as very neat, and yes, quiet…

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Surfing. It's usually a passing memory(been 7 years since my last go out). I suspect it has been on my mind for the past couple of weeks because home is heading into summer. It doesn't help that i've been youtubing my "local". *sigh*
af137b3e163335d76b4bfb65b76be740.jpeg

Reactions: Gutwrench

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Surfing. It's usually a passing memory(been 7 years since my last go out). I suspect it has been on my mind for the past couple of weeks because home is heading into summer. It doesn't help that i've been youtubing my "local". *sigh*
So where is "home" or "local"? I presume if they are heading to summer it's the southern hemisphere? Australia, New Zealand, South Africa?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks to the tangent started by @arkitect, I'm wondering if anybody has ever, the night before leaving for a trip that involves a stop in Bath, ever said that the were "going to bed, Bath, and beyond." Have Bathonians heard some variant of that hundreds of times already?

I'm also wondering if years of cat ownership have endowed me with skills transferable to zen gardening. Is acquiring skills antithetical to zen gardening?

Lol...! I’d like to add kale to that list please.
I found out that if you pop kale in the microwave with a bit of salt on it, you have kale chips (the most tolerable state kale can be in) within a few minutes. Note: don't leave them in too long or else they turn into kale fire, and your dorm mates give you dirty looks for a few days.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Thanks to the tangent started by @arkitect, I'm wondering if anybody has ever, the night before leaving for a trip that involves a stop in Bath, ever said that the were "going to bed, Bath, and beyond." Have Bathonians heard some variant of that hundreds of times already?

I'm also wondering if years of cat ownership have endowed me with skills transferable to zen gardening. Is acquiring skills antithetical to zen gardening?

I found out that if you pop kale in the microwave with a bit of salt on it, you have kale chips (the most tolerable state kale can be in) within a few minutes. Note: don't leave them in too long or else they turn into kale fire, and your dorm mates give you dirty looks for a few days.
If I understand Zen - and I think indeed you're not supposed to "understand" it - then no skills required. Cats are the animal embodiment of zen.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What kind of skills were you contemplating? The cat-like insouciance regarding all things material? The way of quiet walking? The bemused manner in which food is assessed" The fleeting curiousity for novelty that turns to benign indifference?

Or is ownership the key experience, in which case I think the most transferable skill is probably picking out pieces of poop from gravel. Zen gardens have a lot of gravel to keep clean.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I practiced zen-meditation for a period. I’ve tested/learned a lot of different kinds of meditations. The zen tradition wasn’t my kind of meditation though.

There was a guy walking around with a stick and hitting those that seemed to fall asleep.
I pondered if they had some masochistic tendencies. I was however spared it.
Zen seems to have many meanings, it’s little of its nature and antagonism to awake beyond the ego-mind it seems.
Walking in zen-gardens are pretty uhmm, interesting. I can recommend that.

The resemblance with cat’s...ah well, there are a few :D
I much prefer cat’s trampling to wake people up if they are sleep to the meditation traditions way.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
What kind of skills were you contemplating? The cat-like insouciance regarding all things material? The way of quiet walking? The bemused manner in which food is assessed" The fleeting curiousity for novelty that turns to benign indifference?

Or is ownership the key experience, in which case I think the most transferable skill is probably picking out pieces of poop from gravel. Zen gardens have a lot of gravel to keep clean.
All of the above. Obvs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.