Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I thought there might be some value in a general topic-less thread to share random thoughts, ideas, and personal news that aren’t otherwise thread-worthy.

So, within compliance of applicable federal laws, regulations, and Community Discussion rules: what’s on your mind?

Unexpected "features" of "upgraded" apps.

Example: I have some old and rarely revisited games in progress of "Pocket Frogs" on a couple older mobile devices. It's a great distraction when on hold on the phone, etc. The other day while on hold to a magazine subscription department about something, I realized I didn't have Pocket Frogs on my iPad Pro so I downloaded it and started a fresh game.

Turns out the 64-bit version has been tweaked a little. You can buy more habitats, stuff like that. Nice gesture, I thought. :) Hmm but then I realized some features are gone, too. :mad: There's no "catalog" any more... used to be a place you could stash copies of frog species that you had bred and could buy clones of them for way cheaper fake money than in the main Froggydex.

Wah!!!! I want Catalog back! Yes I emailed the devs. I expect to hear nada, the game is old and I'm sure they put some newbie on it long enough to make it 64 bit and said "oh and add this and this, steal space for it somehow from that stuff in the extra menus... make it happen somehow, just do it, make it quick and move on." Wah!

Don't care enough to reboot a fresh game on an older device that doesn't get software upgrades any more, but still. I do resist change. Didn't think I was all that "conservative" really. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A number of things are on my mind: In no particular order:

1. That my mother will suffer no ill effects from her week in the hospice in respite care (she returned home tired, but in good form), and that the echoes of that storm (gale force winds) from Across The Pond won't upset her. (She is now cosily tucked up, back in bed, so seems okay).

2. Dinner this evening: The carer has promised to prepare a noodle soup; already, I see chopped and diced and sliced (depending on the food item in question) leeks, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, pepper, French beans, chicken, Chinese cabbage, and noodles set out.

3. Debating whether to read books this afternoon, and/or make epic plans to see a movie my brother recommended later this week.

And yes, other things, more to do with work are also on my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and LizKat

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
The main thing on my mind is that classes resume next week, which I am greatly looking forward to. Among the classes I'm taking, there will be a class on Sallust, on Language Change, and Ethical Theory (I'm majoring in linguistics, but also taking a number of classics and philosophy courses). This year promises to be more difficult than the last two, but I'm up for the challenge. I am, however, a bit sad that I am now half-way finished with undergrad. Time flies. :eek:

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Yes indeed, time flies.

Speaking of which, I marvel how the passage of time seems to accelerate as I age. A not uncommon experience, I gather.

I’m wondering if it has to do with a tendency to be less present as I get older. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that there are more memories and more experience of thinking about and then reaching the future than when I was younger; hence, more opportunities to be anywhere than the present.

I have to believe that someone has written about this phenomenon. Food for thought.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes indeed, time flies.

Speaking of which, I marvel how the passage of time seems to accelerate as I age. A not uncommon experience, I gather.

I’m wondering if it has to do with a tendency to be less present as I get older. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that there are more memories and more experience of thinking about and then reaching the future than when I was younger; hence, more opportunities to be anywhere than the present.

I have to believe that someone has written about this phenomenon. Food for thought.

Or maybe your "present" doesn't engage you, or elements of your life run on a sort of auto-pilot, if you find yourself in a routine that is safe and comfortable but predictable.

One way of staying in the - or a - "present" as you age is to try to stay open to novelty, fresh experiences and seeing and doing - and maybe learning - new things, visiting new places, learning new skills, testing your mind and attitudes.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I find it extremely funny with humorless people :D
But maybe it is their stupidity of just being so humorless that is the most fun.

That brings me to August Strindberg’s comment: ”Mankind is to be pitied”. ”Det är synd om människan”. In Swedish, in case there’s any other Swedish speaking people’s here.

Which actually is a bad translation, but a difficult one to translate. Strindberg IS difficult to translate in general. He actually had quite some humor though, from what I’ve heard when I studied Litterature at the University.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good luck, it's tough arranging care for aging parents, especially with degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's.

Echoing decafjava’s sentiment. Best of luck with mom. She’s blessed with having you as her daughter.

Thank you, both.

The flu jab should be available from next week and one of the doctors will probably administer it to her at home, as part of a series of trips to a number of patients who are not mobile.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Happy thoughts.
A nice little revenge came up, totally unexpected.
They are the best, and it was so totally deserved :)

Awwwww, c’mon. Grant us a smidgeon of vicarious evil pleasure.
[doublepost=1537573974][/doublepost]
There is only 1 on my list and you're certainly not it!

Bmmmmp....bmmmmp. Hello? Is this on?

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Awwwww, c’mon. Grant us a smidgeon of vicarious evil pleasure.
We’ll see how it’ll proceed. It’s not in my hands, so I really don’t dare to rub them too hard. I neither know what I want from it at all today.
But I enjoy the benefit of work well done.
Universe/God/Karma/Dharma etc...the waves turns as it does. I have respect for the forces involved.

Let’s just say, it’s been a situation that have caused me a lot of hard work.
I’ve understood the place of it on my behalf. Pretty sure the other person involved haven’t realized much of what really goes on at all.
But nevertheless goes into situations that probably are uhmm, unavoidable.
And then tides are turning. It’s pretty funny how it occurs though, concerning other people’s involvement in the ‘drama’ is amazing.

When we look at karmic meetings from inside they can be tough work. Universe may bring us a good laughter when we have worked through our side of the karma, and push a new spin to it.
Reminds me of Dante’s Divine Comedy with all the Inferno, Purgatorio, and the Paradisio involved....somewhat :)

Reactions: Gutwrench

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Trying not to think about situation with siblings and our wonderful, awesome and sick elderly mom. My hat goes off to all the caretakers here.
What kind of skills were you contemplating? The cat-like insouciance regarding all things material? The way of quiet walking? The bemused manner in which food is assessed" The fleeting curiousity for novelty that turns to benign indifference?

Or is ownership the key experience, in which case I think the most transferable skill is probably picking out pieces of poop from gravel. Zen gardens have a lot of gravel to keep clean.

You know the cat mind very, very well.

Ah yeah. Pooper scooping towards fulfillment. I need to think of another way to ascend to cat levels of staying in the moment (Eat, Sleep, Look Cute seems to be a great way to live if your room and board is taken care of).

Thanks for the laugh.

To those with new Apple tech, enjoy it. My lust for shiny just faded with my (eventually mom's) 2018 iPad not playing nice with my 2013 iMac's iTunes.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I woke up this morning to find the upper level vacuumed and one kitchen cupboard (almost finished being) cleaned and reorganized. I love Ambien. It’s like having a free maid service.

Reactions: kazmac

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Hot weather has yet to go away. We might have a mild winter. I just hope it's a dry winter and not a wet mess.

I woke up this morning to find the upper level vacuumed and one kitchen cupboard (almost finished being) cleaned and reorganized. I love Ambien. It’s like having a free maid service.
I thought you had someone staying over? In any case, that's fantastic advertising material for the company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.