Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
They're probably a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV show) :D
Doubt it. Veruca was a name for a character in those Charlie films. But across the pond it refers to a type of wart.

A friend of my mother's had a large dog (a guard dog, a Rottweiler cross if memory serves, for his business) who went by the name of Satan.
Of large dog breeds that are good at protecting, I'd rather have something like an alabai. Friendly and loyal dogs, but they will easily crush a human's skull or throat if they get to it and are perceived as a threat. Never mind the size of a fully grown and trained alabai.

I've heard of them and similar species making mince meat of predatory animals and even typically violent dogs. I tend to believe these claims because I witnessed alabais myself in person doing their thing. I guffawed at their size and their swipe strength while playing with strangers their controllers deemed friendly.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Doubt it. Veruca was a name for a character in those Charlie films. But across the pond it refers to a type of wart.

Veruca was the name of a werewolf character in Buffy ... werewolf ... dog ....

"Those Charlie films", yes, Veruca Salt is a character in the films and the original Roald Dahl story.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks again for the kind words.

We saw mom (She was happy to see us) and probably won't know when she'll be transported to rehab until later this week.

It's going to snow overnight, so I am just grateful that surgery was yesterday.

I wish everyone a nice night.

?
Snow? Sorry to hear that! Hope the transition to rehab is a smooth one and the recovery a quick one.

Reactions: kazmac

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks again for the kind words.

We saw mom (She was happy to see us) and probably won't know when she'll be transported to rehab until later this week.

It's going to snow overnight, so I am just grateful that surgery was yesterday.

I wish everyone a nice night.

?

Great to hear this and hope you are both doing very well & that the transition to rehab is smooth and her recovery is quick and stress free.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Wondering about the likes I received on two merged posts of mine in the "bad place" (PRSI), as in for which of the two merged posts did I get the like?? Not that I seek "likes" as if I were an Instagram "influencer".

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
E3A95226-DDB9-4FEE-86A2-89E447C55051.jpeg
Capitalism brings us miles of cheap Chineses goods.

BFBEF39D-5CAA-4F06-BFE7-98BA62153CF0.jpeg
...that look like they are made in other places.

+ A5BF67C8-2C84-4340-A217-64C1A572B247.jpeg
...but got the tree up. :)

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Just listened to a rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas where the fifth day was sung as five golden rings... no, no, no. It must always be five gold rings! Golden implies it's gold in colour, but not necessarily that they are solid gold rings!

Reactions: a2jack and Huntn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just listened to a rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas where the fifth day was sung as five golden rings... no, no, no. It must always be five gold rings! Golden implies it's gold in colour, but not necessarily that they are solid gold rings!
Sorry but you are wrong. When it comes to Christmas music you really need to just hit skip or change the channel on the radio. Roll on January.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Which version of the song is that?

To my jaundiced ear, Frank Kelly's (he also played the role of Fr Jack in Father Ted) version is by far the best.

Sorry but you are wrong. When it comes to Christmas music you really need to just hit skip or change the channel on the radio. Roll on January.

Somehow, I find myself in agreement with you.

Reactions: Apple fanboy

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
It ended up being 38 minutes. Weird!

LOL bc how else can they justify the price.

On the other hand the last time I did those things for myself it took me three hours, so... I know for a fact they're handier than I will ever be at those particular tasks.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Vinyl stores near me

Man it seems like just yesterday --although it was decades ago-- that New Yorkers were moaning about all the little old neighborhood "record stores" closing (or being driven out by eventual behemoths like Tower Records which itself later went bankrupt trying to sell CDs while kids were pirating music online.)

But vinyl never actually died, the revival kicked in, and now little shops all over the place have sprung up again or expanded after buying whole collections of older material, the better to offer once again those "crate digging" experiences and listening booths. Media attention has grown over the past four or five years as well... plus today's bands and some orchestras now routinely feature vinyl releases along with digital versions.

Remember when analog was considered so passé? LOL!

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Why is it iPhone cases with the bottom piece (covering the charging ports, etcetera), seem to hurt my little finger, when using the device...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Why is it iPhone cases with the bottom piece (covering the charging ports, etcetera), seem to hurt my little finger, when using the device...

I dunno.... but I do know that the bare naked front edge of my laptop sometimes hurts the fleshy part of my palm if I'm using the machine on my lap and just scrolling my way down a long piece in a magazine. My wrist sort of ends up sitting on my thigh and that way two fingers still reach the trackpad without strain or difficulty but the palm starts complaining after awhile! I need to roll up some sort of buffer material to set between my hand and the edge of the machine.

On my mind at the moment is how fascinating (and, sigh, deja vue) is the WaPo piece on the government's take on the war in Afghanistan... the takes the government(s) didn't share with us in real time... Shades of the Pentagon papers... but this time material doggedly acquired via FOIA requests and lawsuits to follow up on FOIA requests that were denied or delayed. The paper was suing for information from the "Lessons Learned" project. The project itself may not have included lessons on dealing appropriately with media, but the government's apparently still not done learning those lessons!

Also on my mind: three days before a library book borrowed onto my iPhone will self-destruct... I best get to it because someone else is waiting for it, so I can't even renew it right now. It's Viet Thanh Nguyen's "The Sympathizer" and a great read.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
I gave my mom a iPhone 7 with new battery to replaced her SE. And she said the SE run faster and better. >_<

I wonder if it has anything to with some of the bugs on iOS 13.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
368422-20;1510089246t.jpg
I can't imagine such a niggardly attitude towards Christmas! Though many of the Christmas pop songs are overplayed the traditional songs and carols are all good :D

Which version of the song is that?

To my jaundiced ear, Frank Kelly's (he also played the role of Fr Jack in Father Ted) version is by far the best.

Somehow, I find myself in agreement with you.
It was on a local radio station in the car, didn't pay attention to what it was if they said...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Man it seems like just yesterday --although it was decades ago-- that New Yorkers were moaning about all the little old neighborhood "record stores" closing (or being driven out by eventual behemoths like Tower Records which itself later went bankrupt trying to sell CDs while kids were pirating music online.)

But vinyl never actually died, the revival kicked in, and now little shops all over the place have sprung up again or expanded after buying whole collections of older material, the better to offer once again those "crate digging" experiences and listening booths. Media attention has grown over the past four or five years as well... plus today's bands and some orchestras now routinely feature vinyl releases along with digital versions.

Remember when analog was considered so passé? LOL!
The ebbs and flows of the music industry over the past 25 years have been very interesting. As much as I like the Internet, at times, I am saddened about the impact it has had on browsing and buying music at local stores. I just wish there were some nice dedicated shops in or very close to my small town. There are record shops around here, but I have to drive a fair distance and through a lot of traffic to get to them.

So, www.discogs.com is my friend.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The ebbs and flows of the music industry over the past 25 years have been very interesting. As much as I like the Internet, at times, I am saddened about the impact it has had on browsing and buying music at local stores. I just wish there were some nice dedicated shops in or very close to my small town. There are record shops around here, but I have to drive a fair distance and through a lot of traffic to get to them.

So, www.discogs.com is my friend.

Agree completely.

Around twenty years ago, manly, I suspect, because the advent of CDs had prompted a lot of people with music collections to switch largely to CDs, browsing in large music stores was a sort of bliss.

Most of the large ones had a dedicated classical (and world) section, almost invariably staffed by a young (or older) enthusiast. I loved visiting them, because the depth of knowledge frequently included being able to discuss the merits of different recordings of the same piece of music. Actually, in my teaching days, and postgrad days, I spent countless hours of my life in such places.

Now, most of them have closed, and I regret that; ordering music on Amazon (yes, the range and convenience is something I like) is not the same and gives nothing like the same pleasure.

Because, when browsing, in addition to choosing whatever you had gone in there to buy, very often, you also emerged with something else - maybe a CD that caught your eye, or, sometimes, the music that the shop was playing, which you would ask about, leading to a discussion, recommendations.......in other words an agreeable (and instructive - because you always learned something new) human exchange between two people who loved music.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
This is very interesting, a contact from another forum was lamenting on FB about the dearth of PC games available on CD from actual stores compared to a still large selection for consoles. Actually I recall the heyday of physical games, cool boxes and detailed manuals. I found a really good PC game store years ago where I picked up MS Combat Flight Sim (WWII Europe) and Close Combat 3: the Russian Front. The latter had a great manual that had excerpts from veterans (both German and Russian) and historians and detailed weapon descriptions. I even had an email exchange with the webmaster of a Russian site on WWII that claimed the team had been in contact with him for Red Army weapon specifications.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
With me working from another location (for about a month, self inflicted), I wonder if my team of 6, at my usual location will simply run riot, and do what they bloody want...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.