Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Birthday gift from my sister. My 60th later this month. Lovely

fbfc8bbc6ef271ee9684ac00f75d2928.jpg

0ebebdb8396530e901671c35bf6bfb22.jpg

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Yes, as @bousozoku noted, we changed the date we change our clocks during the Bush 43 administration.

So we go on the 1st Sunday in November and the 2nd Sunday in March.

Of course I now live in AZ so we don't bother with that nonsense. ;). And even that can get confusing with we being with CA for 8 months and 1 hour behind for 4 month. But then you have the Navajo Nation which comprises a large part of NE AZ and they do change theirs even though the state doesn't. But the Hopi Nation which is inside the borders of the Navajo Nation, doesn't change theirs.

Now have countries changing at different times. Wow.

We have it interesting in Australia.
Queensland doesn't participate in that Daylight Savings nonsense, but the rest of the country does.
New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania are in one time zone (which includes Qld during Eastern Standard Time but not during Eastern Daylight Savings Time (which we are currently in)).
South Australia and the Northern Territory are in a separate time zone.
Western Australia is in another time zone.
However ...
Broken Hill, which is in NSW, keeps South Australia time.
There is a stretch on the highway from Adelaide to Perth, from the SA/WA border, about 200 km, which has its own time zone.
The city of Tweed Heads, which is half in NSW and half in QLD, has two time zones, as you go North and South (think about it...) and they are trying to move to all QLD time.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
We have it interesting in Australia.
Queensland doesn't participate in that Daylight Savings nonsense, but the rest of the country does.
New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania are in one time zone (which includes Qld during Eastern Standard Time but not during Eastern Daylight Savings Time (which we are currently in)).
South Australia and the Northern Territory are in a separate time zone.
Western Australia is in another time zone.
However ...
Broken Hill, which is in NSW, keeps South Australia time.
There is a stretch on the highway from Adelaide to Perth, from the SA/WA border, about 200 km, which has its own time zone.
The city of Tweed Heads, which is half in NSW and half in QLD, has two time zones, as you go North and South (think about it...) and they are trying to move to all QLD time.
That sounds as chaotic as the U.S.A.

Does Tweed Heads have two telephone codes, one for NSW and another for QLD? I've known quite a few towns on a state line that were long distance calling when calling across the street.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Someone just said to me, "Why are you like this?!" And I am inclined to think they were being serious—and in a very negative way. Even if it was a joke (which, who knows anymore), it's pointless. At some point, it just doesn't matter.

Why do you need to say that? What personal value are you getting out of a comment like that? That's just a pointless, honestly hurtful remark. If I had done something wrong, then maybe, just maybe, that would have been justified. This was about something completely different though. I am honestly fed up with comments like that, doesn't matter if it's a joke or not. I'm just tired of it. I know, I know, I should ignore it, and honestly, at this point I've just shrugged it off, but those comments just aren't necessary. They're rude. Quite simple.

These people have been spending too much time on the internet, that's what I blame this on. Would you ever say that to someone's face?????

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Someone just said to me, "Why are you like this?!" And I am inclined to think they were being serious. Even if it was a joke (which, who knows anymore), it's pointless. Why do you need to say that? What personal value are you getting out of a comment like that? That's just a pointless, honestly hurtful remark. If I had done something wrong, then maybe, just maybe, that would have been justified. This was about something completely different though. I am honestly fed up with comments like that, doesn't matter if it's a joke or not. I'm just tired of it. I know, I know, I should ignore it, and honestly, at this point I've just shrugged it off, but those comments just aren't necessary. They're rude. Quite simple.
Possibly reply,
“Trust me, you will like it much better than the alternative”

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Like, what is happening to my generation? I feel like this is at least the third person I've ran across in the past few months or so who's made comments like that. I swear, it's because they spend too much time on the internet. I literally cannot think of another reason, other than bad parenting—which is a thing—but I still just don't get it.

These people for the most part choose not to attend college - all they care about is their YouTube channel. The person who said "Why are you like this?!" is very much one of those people. They just don't know how to conduct themselves. It's so depressing.

Thankfully, for the most part, the people I'm in college with here are wonderful and kind.

EDIT: Not to mention the people who (and, unfortunately, I have to deal with this some) are literally glued to their phones. I try to talk to them, and all they do is not pay attention. I can understand if you're not looking at the person in general - because I have trouble with eye contact myself - but I'm not looking at my phone!! I'm listening to the person. THIS SHOULDNT BE HARD, PEOPLE!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Like, what is happening to my generation? I feel like this is at least the third person I've ran across in the past few months or so who's made comments like that. I swear, it's because they spend too much time on the internet. I literally cannot think of another reason, other than bad parenting—which is a thing—but I still just don't get it.

These people for the most part choose not to attend college - all they care about is their YouTube channel. The person who said "Why are you like this?!" is very much one of those people. They just don't know how to conduct themselves. It's so depressing.

Thankfully, for the most part, the people I'm in college with here are wonderful and kind.

EDIT: Not to mention the people who (and, unfortunately, I have to deal with this some) are literally glued to their phones. I try to talk to them, and all they do is not pay attention. I can understand if you're not looking at the person in general - because I have trouble with eye contact myself - but I'm not looking at my phone!! I'm listening to the person. THIS SHOULDNT BE HARD, PEOPLE!
In my experience a lot of people are not kind by nature. Try and surround yourself with those that are. Ditch the others when you can.
Remember their opinion does not define you.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

It's not just your generation. I often want to smack grandparents and parents for not doing a good job.

The pandemic let many idiots loose.

Being in retail, I see the worst side of people too often. I try to remind them that I don't appreciate that kind of treatment, but in a nicer fashion. They take any disagreement as an attack against them, unfortunately.

"Why are you like this?" gets "That's because I'm restraining myself."

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I've had this PDF of "48 Etudes for Oboe and Flute" for the longest time, yet I'd never opened it till now. It's got really cool stuff! I tried sight-singing one, and although I was able to read it fine, my vocal range, although it's big, isn't quite big enough to hit the super high notes. I'll have to play it on the piano and see how it really sounds. I'd like to learn them on melodica, but I left mine back home. That'll be a fun project for the summer though!

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
You need those April showers to bring May flowers. Warmer rain would be good, though.
Indeed. March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers. Wordsworth I think? No, after searching it appears to be by Walter Samuels, Teddy Powell and Leonard Whitcup?

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Indeed. March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers. Wordsworth I think? No, after searching it appears to be by Walter Samuels, Teddy Powell and Leonard Whitcup?
That isn't so different from Chaucer:

Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote,
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licóur
Of which vertú engendred is the flour;

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Someone just said to me, "Why are you like this?!" And I am inclined to think they were being serious—and in a very negative way. Even if it was a joke (which, who knows anymore), it's pointless. At some point, it just doesn't matter.

Why do you need to say that? What personal value are you getting out of a comment like that? That's just a pointless, honestly hurtful remark. If I had done something wrong, then maybe, just maybe, that would have been justified. This was about something completely different though. I am honestly fed up with comments like that, doesn't matter if it's a joke or not. I'm just tired of it. I know, I know, I should ignore it, and honestly, at this point I've just shrugged it off, but those comments just aren't necessary. They're rude. Quite simple.

These people have been spending too much time on the internet, that's what I blame this on. Would you ever say that to someone's face?????

I think that it comes from a number of things.

Firstly, (and I can speak with some authority on this, as I was a teacher of university students for the best part of twenty years), much though I loved their passion, their energetic enthusiasm, their occasional optimism, their desire to right some of the wrongs of the world, I also found that some of the most rigid and judgmental individuals on the planet are teenaged youngsters (and here, I do not solely criticise my students: For, at that age, I was also prey to this condition. In fact, one of the many things I have liked about reaching middle age is that one can become a little less judgmental, a little more flexible and tolerant, and a lot more accepting of oneself and less concerned by the opinions and ill-informed judgments of others).

And, one of the things that they tend to be most judgmental about is anyone who doesn't appear to fit in with their preconceived notion, or sense, of what someone - anyone - should be like.

Difference makes them uncomfortable, and may even threaten their sense of self.

And remember, those years of mid to late teens to early twenties tend to be the years when people learn to detach or distance themselves from their family of origin, and increasingly identify themselves with groups of their peers, which can - sometimes - make for uncomfortable attempts to secure acceptance from others, and which, unfortunately, can also lead to enduring, or tolerating, or thinking that one must tolerate, unacceptable and inexcusable behaviour from others in pursuit of that goal.

However, in college, at university, or a conservatory, you will have - to a certain extent - you will have "found your tribe", that is, you will be associating with people who will recognise (and encourage) your abilities and aptitudes, respect you for who you are, and who will share your interests, professional, academic and intellectual.

These, (and your family) are the people to seek support from; at the end of the day, the opinions of the others don't matter.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.