Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Daylight Savings ended for us on Sunday.

This means that a certain feline's (avatar, see left) dinner time is now an hour later.
She has told me in No UnCerTain Terms That This is UnAccepTable.*
I replied saying she could find another household to keep her in the style to which she would like to become accustomed.
She demurred, suggesting that she had put enough effort into training this household and didn't want to start over.

Dinner time is still an hour later.

* I think she has been reading a certain orange carrot's oddly capitalised tweets...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I'm older than most of you here (graduated from high school in 1963), so in my day we didn't have "Senior Skip" or "Senior Beach Week" or any other sort of special and extra seniors-only gathering or celebration. We finished our last final exams along with the rest of the other (younger, in the lower grades) kids in our high school and then we had one or two rehearsals for graduation and the graduation ceremony itself. That was it!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'm older than most of you here (graduated from high school in 1963), so in my day we didn't have "Senior Skip" or "Senior Beach Week" or any other sort of special and extra seniors-only gathering or celebration. We finished our last final exams along with the rest of the other (younger, in the lower grades) kids in our high school and then we had one or two rehearsals for graduation and the graduation ceremony itself. That was it!
I tried to make the end of my senior year simple like that—I think I mostly succeeded. I didn't go to any of the pool parties or anything. Boring to me.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
c840140f206bde5ea8e338f4a0d74a2a.jpg

I love the beauty of leafless trees, the way they arch skyward in fractal like patterns is cool.
In our hot tub , 63 deg f evening.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Oh man, the new YouTube web browser format is so bad, I'm literally crying 😭

No, but it's soooo bad. I hate how websites and desktop OSes are just becoming more and more phone-oriented. This new layout is clearly intended to be more "mobile".

Thanks, YouTube, I hate it.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Oh man, the new YouTube web browser format is so bad, I'm literally crying 😭

No, but it's soooo bad. I hate how websites and desktop OSes are just becoming more and more phone-oriented. This new layout is clearly intended to be more "mobile".

Thanks, YouTube, I hate it.
WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!!!

I never knew this was a thing... and clearly I haven't gotten it yet! I completely agree with you, this is absolutely horrible.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I have a mobil YouTube app, and neither am I dissatisfied with the service. Could have something to do with the Premium that I pay - it's worth it to me.
I am happy with the mobile app as well, the comments above were about the new proposed desktop app. On the other hand, I may well be interested in the premium service if it gets rid of ads. Nothing worse than watching a longer (30+ minute), interesting video and having ads pop up every 10 minutes. Even funnier a 10 second unskippable ad for a funny short clip. 🤣

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I am happy with the mobile app as well, the comments above were about the new proposed desktop app. On the other hand, I may well be interested in the premium service if it gets rid of ads. Nothing worse than watching a longer (30+ minute), interesting video and having ads pop up every 10 minutes. Even funnier a 10 second unskippable ad for a funny short clip. 🤣
Ok, don’t know if I need a desktop app, so whatever....
I have several Safari windows open with a lot of tabs, and a few of them are YouTube's, with a lot of tabs respectively. Well organised in different subjects of course 😊

In the iOS app I have plenty of playlists for various subjects, if you don’t have that option, it’s part of premium.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The passage of time is on my mind.

And also on my mind is how one comes (alas, belatedly, sometimes) to recognise and truly understand stuff that you were completely clueless about as an adolescent or young adult, the sort of understanding that can give rise to a retrospective wince or internal cringe, but also allows for adult understanding.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Work is on my mind. That and the terrific sunshine. Currently travelling between work locations in an Uber to collect my car.
What a glorious day. Shame I won’t get a lunch break to enjoy it.
Oh well. I did get one Monday!

Reactions: bousozoku

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
The passage of time is on my mind.

And also on my mind is how one comes (alas, belatedly, sometimes) to recognise and truly understand stuff that you were completely clueless about as an adolescent or young adult, the sort of understanding that can give rise to a retrospective wince or internal cringe, but also allows for adult understanding.

Hmm, I went thru a life timeline thing myself 1 months ago, drew it out as shown
eb00bcd402a958ba4d5905a57e6fa2e6.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
My 60th birthday is on my mind. I’m not one to celebrate my birthday. It seems others are determined to. Office drink after work tomorrow (groan), family meal on Saturday (well, looking forward to a nice fillet steak maybe) and then Rome next week.

Can’t we all stay home and let me just carry on working as usual? I love routine and next week is far from it. (Grumpy old man here (or is that more grumpy?))

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My 60th birthday is on my mind. I’m not one to celebrate my birthday. It seems others are determined to. Office drink after work tomorrow (groan), family meal on Saturday (well, looking forward to a nice fillet steak maybe) and then Rome next week.

Can’t we all stay home and let me just carry on working as usual? I love routine and next week is far from it. (Grumpy old man here (or is that more grumpy?))
I don’t celebrate birthdays. Haven’t done for years.
I just don’t let anyone know when it is.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

First off, welcome to your 6th decade on Earth, I’ll be 62 later this year.

Suck it up and cherish those who love you, have affinity for you being around!!

Roughly 90% make it to age 60, then people pass 2.5% per year for multitude of reasons thru 90 , then the low % long tail old (past 95) people get to tell tales to youngins.
09dc3dbcf0f254f4c0c6f5cb488bd92d.jpg

A little dated, but probably directionally correct.
fe0d5ae60485b14fd0e3a8af29bdb00e.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You neglected to mention the actual date.

In any case, may I take this opportunity to wish you a happy birthday.

Can’t we all stay home and let me just carry on working as usual?

Be grateful - and thankful - for the fact that you have friends and family who wish to show their love for you and who choose to celebrate the fact of your existence by remembering your birthday, and recognising (and saluting) that fact that your presence matters to them.

There is grace in gratitude and in being able to accept when people wish to show their affection for you.

My birthday was yesterday and I would have given anything for my parents (who never forgot my birthday) to have been with me still.

However, my brothers were both in touch, as were a few friends, for which I am profoundly grateful.
I love routine and next week is far from it. (Grumpy old man here (or is that more grumpy?))
Routine can offer safety, security and sanctuary, but can become something of a psychological comfort blanket.

However, one should bear in mind that it can also suffocate and smother if reached for on each and every occasion.

And the "grumpy old man" facade, or temperament, (and I write as a grumpy old woman, and someone who has donned this attire ever since I was an alienated adolescent) is also a psychological cloaking device that can be reached for, far too readily, and - to my mind - is not necessarily appropriate on rare occasions (such as significant birthdays) when those whom you love may wish to express their affection for you, in turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.