Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
You neglected to mention the actual date.

In any case, may I take this opportunity to wish you a happy birthday.

Be grateful - and thankful - for the fact that you have friends and family who wish to show their love for you and who choose to celebrate the fact of your existence by remembering your birthday, and recognising (and saluting) that fact that your presence matters to them.

There is grace in gratitude and in accepting when people wish to show their affection for you.

My birthday was yesterday and I would have given anything for my parents (who never forgot my birthday) to have been with me still.

However, my brothers were both in touch, as were a few friends, for which I am profoundly grateful.

Routine can offer safety, security and sanctuary, but can become something of a psychological comfort blanket.

However, one should bear in mind that it can also suffocate and smother if reached for on each and every occasion.

And the "grumpy old man" facade, or temperament, (and I write as a grumpy old woman, and someone who has donned this attire ever since I was an alienated adolescent) is also a psychological cloaking device that can be reached for, far too readily, and - to my mind - is not necessarily appropriate on rare occasions (such as significant birthdays) when those whom you love may wish to express their affection for you, in turn.
And a happy belated birthday to you. All the best.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You neglected to mention the actual date.

In any case, may I take this opportunity to wish you a happy birthday.

Be grateful - and thankful - for the fact that you have friends and family who wish to show their love for you and who choose to celebrate the fact of your existence by remembering your birthday, and recognising (and saluting) that fact that your presence matters to them.

There is grace in gratitude and in accepting when people wish to show their affection for you.

My birthday was yesterday and I would have given anything for my parents (who never forgot my birthday) to have been with me still.

However, my brothers were both in touch, as were a few friends, for which I am profoundly grateful.

Routine can offer safety, security and sanctuary, but can become something of a psychological comfort blanket.

However, one should bear in mind that it can also suffocate and smother if reached for on each and every occasion.

And the "grumpy old man" facade, or temperament, (and I write as a grumpy old woman, and someone who has donned this attire ever since I was an alienated adolescent) is also a psychological cloaking device that can be reached for, far too readily, and - to my mind - is not necessarily appropriate on rare occasions (such as significant birthdays) when those whom you love may wish to express their affection for you, in turn.
Happy Birthday. I hope you had a nice day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And a happy belated birthday to you. All the best.

Happy Birthday, all you April Babies! 45 does sound like a lovely age to be! :D

Happy Birthday. I hope you had a nice day.
Thank you.

I had a lovely chat with Decent Brother, a very nice email exchange with Other Brother, and savoured half a bottle of an excellent white wine from Burgundy, a Chablis 1er Cru.

What better way to spend an evening than equipped with a book, and a beer, or - as was the case yesterday - a glass or two, or three, of fine wine, accompanied by music perhaps, (plus, on occasion, joined friends and/or family)?

Reactions: bousozoku and rm5

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm amused to see jobs at Apple and Intel GmbH sent to me by e-mail.

Apple is looking for an Analog IP Lab Software Developer and Intel GmbH (American company but German corporation in Silicon Valley?) is looking for Product Manager - Software Developer Products.

My background probably isn't close to what they need but who knows? Maybe, they're just sending in hopes of a risk taker to be hired.

Oh, and Happy Birthday! to anyone here! I'm looking forward to my 65th birthday for the medical care.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I think I'm going to (if I can) audition for Concert Choir next year. I miss singing soooo much, and I'd love to get into more challenging repertoire (such as sacred choral works, oratorios, and art songs). That ensemble, unlike Viking Chorale, is auditioned, so I'd need to prepare a couple pieces. Hopefully I can do it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Looked at the weather forecast last night and realised it was going to be dry today! Feels like the first time in months. So I got up at 6am, fuelled up with a banana and a Lucozade sport and did a 10km run which felt rather good.

Cars to wash today, cat fence to put up at the end of the garden to stop cats getting in and attacking our shy British Short Hair, and various other bits of gardening my wife has planned for me to do. No rest for the wicked.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looked at the weather forecast last night and realised it was going to be dry today! Feels like the first time in months. So I got up at 6am, fuelled up with a banana and a Lucozade sport and did a 10km run which felt rather good.

Cars to wash today, cat fence to put up at the end of the garden to stop cats getting in and attacking our shy British Short Hair, and various other bits of gardening my wife has planned for me to do. No rest for the wicked.
I’m with you on the dry weekend. Mrs AFB has me down for mowing the lawn and weeding today.

We had a nice early walk to the woods. Sun wasn’t long up. Nice and quiet except for the song birds.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The weather is getting to me. Since I walk home from work, walking in the rain over two miles is not my favorite thing to do. At this age, I often have trouble with my legs or my feet or my heart or my ... 😆

I hope you're all having a great day!

Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sadly work in the morning is on my mind. I’d love to be one of those people who could just switch off from work.
I used to be like that, and I had to learn to actively choose to - to make and carry out the decision to - to switch off from the demands of work (during down-time, such as week-ends or days off) on occasion, and to ruthlessly police and patrol (and enforce) such boundaries once they have been constructed.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I used to be like that, and I had to learn to actively choose to - to make and carry out the decision to - to switch off from the demands of work (during down-time, such as week-ends or days off) on occasion, and to ruthlessly police and patrol (and enforce) such boundaries once they have been constructed.
I'm trying. But my mind just isn't wired that way. I'm actively trying not to work this evening though!

Reactions: bousozoku

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm trying. But my mind just isn't wired that way. I'm actively trying not to work this evening though!
My mind used not to be wired that way, either.

However, one can set about a bit of re-wiring.

In any case, I do remember (the night) when I took that decision - and it is a decision that one has to actively take, to proactively police your private (as opposed to professional, and public) physical and psychological space, for, it won't happen otherwise.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Any coffee/culinary tips? I know about the history of Rome (main reason for the trip) but am really looking forward to trying their coffees and wines.

Don’t go to Starbucks

Many place charge extra for service outside on the patio, especially to tourists. Just be aware

Never go to Starbucks, though on the espresso thread an interesting visit to a special Starbucks in Tokyo was posted.
@AVBeatMan: I will echo what both @Chuckeee and @decafjava have written: Don't go to Starbucks.

The coffee everywhere will be superb - I cannot recall having a poor coffee anywhere in Italy (even the motorway cafés offer really good - astonishingly good - espresso, given that they are motorway cafés).

Look for a place (usually a small, unspectacular spot) where locals congregate, or patronise; they will almost invariably serve excellent coffee. (And food).

Try the side streets, rather than the obvious tourist spots, where quality (possibly better), and price (certainly less) can be found.

Having said that, it is nice to treat oneself occasionally to a good coffee on a patio, or terrace, that may also be something of a tourist trap - after all, that panorama, that view, that vista, is what you will remember, even though you will - more than likely - pay a bit more for it.

Enjoy yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.