Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ahhhhhhh. Nightmares.......my 17 year old brain was not ready for that.
My British Literature instructor had an audio recording of that for my 16 year old brain. As with any other language, it was fairly understandable.

The writing I copied, seemed to have some extra diacritical marks that I don't remember from my printed copy.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That isn't so different from Chaucer:
Wonderful quote.

Chaucer is one of those writers that you need to read aloud, in order to be able to fully appreciate, enjoy and savour the text, although, obviously, the pronunciation (as well as the spelling) has changed (quite considerably) since his time.

Years ago, I read an edition - a wonderful edition - of his Canterbury Tales which had an identical text on each pair of facing pages, one rendered in modern English spelling, the other as Chaucer had written it.

Reactions: bousozoku

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My British Literature instructor had an audio recording of that for my 16 year old brain. As with any other language, it was fairly understandable.

The writing I copied, seemed to have some extra diacritical marks that I don't remember from my printed copy.
I suspect to aid (or, draw attention to) elements of the pronunciation which has changed considerably since then, as a result of the Great Vowel Shift, among other elements.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I suspect to aid (or, draw attention to) elements of the pronunciation which has changed considerably since then, as a result of the Great Vowel Shift, among other elements.
I suppose so. Helvetian, from the time of Julius Caesar, wasn't that far from German at the time but landed in what is now England (along with Latin, of course), due to the troops of Julius Caesar chasing the ancient Swiss.

There were rumours that they found people speaking Latin in a remote part of Switzerland and other people in the U.S. region of Appalachia speaking Chaucer's English. While anything is possible, it isn't likely, but it would be interesting to hear these languages spoken by people with no outside influence.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Wonderful quote.

Chaucer is one of those writers that you need to read aloud, in order to be able to fully appreciate, enjoy and savour the text, although, obviously, the pronunciation (as well as the spelling) has changed (quite considerably) since his time.

Years ago, I read an edition - a wonderful edition - of his Canterbury Tales which had an identical text on each pair of facing pages, one rendered in modern English spelling, the other as Chaucer had written it.

That would have been handy about 40 years ago. ;)

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020

I believe there is a scene in a film biography of Tolkien, where as a student he is called upon to read Chaucer out loud. He promptly recites it aloud from memory, complete with correct pronunciation.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
However, in college, at university, or a conservatory, you will have - to a certain extent - you will have "found your tribe", that is, you will be associating with people who will recognise (and encourage) your abilities and aptitudes, respect you for who you are, and who will share your interests, professional, academic and intellectual.
Oh, absolutely. And thankfully, I've started to meet actually friendly people. But I will say, it's sort of limited to those in the music realm. Unfortunately, seemingly every time I try making friends with people outside of music (doesn't matter where), this negative kind of stuff happens. And to me, online communities (namely Discord servers) don't count, because those people don't really know me.

And as far as "Why are you like this?!" goes, I have no answer. I literally do not know.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That would have been handy about 40 years ago. ;)
I read a lot of Ancient Greek that way. The language didn't seem that foreign but learning another character set at the time was difficult. I still struggle with Greek and Cyrillic.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh, absolutely. And thankfully, I've started to meet actually friendly people. But I will say, it's sort of limited to those in the music realm. Unfortunately, seemingly every time I try making friends with people outside of music (doesn't matter where), this negative kind of stuff happens. And to me, online communities (namely Discord servers) don't count, because those people don't really know me.
Seriously, as @Apple fanboy has already observed, their opinion does not define you.

Surround yourself with people you like, respect and who, in turn, respect you; forget the others.

And, you will find that as you mature more, this nonsense will affect you less and less.
And as far as "Why are you like this?!" goes, I have no answer. I literally do not know.
"Why is this any of your business".

Or, perhaps one can offer a quote from the wonderful Walt Whitman: ".....I am large; I contain multitudes."

Reactions: Chuckeee and rm5

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm remembering the Xenia, Ohio tornadoes from 50 years ago which destroyed the two streets on either side of my aunt and uncle's house, but didn't hurt their street. There were massive damages that day, all over the area.

I was lucky enough to go, photograph it with my Polaroid camera, and get extra credit in my 9th grade science class.

There were some tornadoes in the state the other day, reminding me of how sudden things change.

Reactions: Herdfan

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Rant time. I order groceries online so I can see cost fluctuations.

Last year:
IMG_0435.jpeg

This year:

IMG_0436.jpeg

It’s a 10% difference, and I am not even including meat. Insane.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
“The duality of life & death, pain & joy, yin & yang, need to exist along side each other or none of this would have any meaning,” she wrote. “It is the impermanent nature of human existence which throws us into the depths of our most authentic lives. As It turns out, there is no greater motivation for leaning into loving awareness than knowing everything ends.”

Penned by Frances Bean Cobain, it resonates so much with me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Rant time. I order groceries online so I can see cost fluctuations.

Last year:
View attachment 2365837

This year:

View attachment 2365838

It’s a 10% difference, and I am not even including meat. Insane.
Has your pay gone up since then? If so I bet it wasn’t by 10%.
Another trick they do here is keep the price the same, but the package size is reduced. Shrinkflation as they call it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
Well at least 4th April is out of the way. Mum asked me to post two Birthday cards yesterday saying they will be late but send them anyway.

So I am posting Birthday cards to my two ex wives who were both born on 4th April 1961 in the same maternity hospital in East London but grew up in totally different lives and never knew each other.

Now if we can just get 2nd May out of the way the rest of the year is good :)

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Besides the eclipse, today is also “Senior skip day” for quite a few local high schools here in SE Michigan , my senior son is partaking in it of course .. remember yours?

98.9% at 3:13pm , clear skies ..
50c1f044b7207961c0cdf3cc32583f32.jpg

Reactions: Chuckeee

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
What is senior skip day?

A tradition where the HS seniors would all get together to decide on one day towards the end of their senior year to skip school and go play hooky.

It used to be arranged by the seniors and was kind of a secret so one day there would be no seniors at school. In recent years it has almost become a pseudo-official holiday for seniors where it is planned by or has the blessing of the administration.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A tradition where the HS seniors would all get together to decide on one day towards the end of their senior year to skip school and go play hooky.

It used to be arranged by the seniors and was kind of a secret so one day there would be no seniors at school. In recent years it has almost become a pseudo-official holiday for seniors where it is planned by or has the blessing of the administration.
Oh yes we had that. It was called Friday’s. Well sometimes Tuesday’s. Always Monday’s. Wednesday if it was double English.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
remember yours?
Uh, yeah, I do remember mine, but I didn't participate. All the other seniors went to some event together, which I was not interested in attending. I just attended class like normal and got some weird looks. I didn't care though.

EDIT: Though I also remember "Seniors Last Day," which was almost exactly a year ago. We all gathered on the quad all day for various different activities. I mostly just hung around though. Then at the end, we all got up on the hill and did the big countdown. I enjoyed that part. Then everyone cried and hugged each other. I will admit, I did a little hugging and crying.

Last edited:

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
Besides the eclipse, today is also “Senior skip day” for quite a few local high schools here in SE Michigan , my senior son is partaking in it of course .. remember yours?
I remember mine; it was a yearly excuse (as if we needed one) to go somewhere and get drunk. I graduated in 1976 so....everything's different until it's not. I remember going, but not much past that. Either I had a really good time or I didn't. 🙅‍♀️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.