Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. I hate it. I pretty much never fall unless it's my heart condition. In front of an ULTA, I blacked right out.
230509b87a48d5636ce342e00b4854c3.jpg

Oh no! Are you okay?

Reactions: Septembersrain

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've got Type 2 diabetes - diagnosed 6 years ago. Since then I've gone from 265lbs to 145lbs (I'm 5' 10") and am off all meds.

Even so, I have to be extremely careful what I eat or drink and avoid carbs like the plague (I eat 30g of carbs a day) and even something like a single slice of pizza will send my blood sugar spiralling out of control

Apart from the dietary concerns, I don't really have any issues though - no nasty side effects such as retinopathy, nerve damage, etc and I'm probably healthier now than I was before the diagnosis (including having taken up regular running to 1/2 marathon distance) and it's just become part of who I am

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've got Type 2 diabetes - diagnosed 6 years ago. Since then I've gone from 265lbs to 145lbs (I'm 5' 10") and am off all meds.

Even so, I have to be extremely careful what I eat or drink and avoid carbs like the plague (I eat 30g of carbs a day) and even something like a single slice of pizza will send my blood sugar spiralling out of control

Apart from the dietary concerns, I don't really have any issues though - no nasty side effects such as retinopathy, nerve damage, etc and I'm probably healthier now than I was before the diagnosis (including having taken up regular running to 1/2 marathon distance) and it's just become part of who I am

I have two Brother-In-Laws that have moved from the edge of Type 2 with diet. I have one friend that lost a ton of weight and no longer takes medication. The folks that I see doing this successfully are rare though. It takes a lot of determination and will power on the diet side and I think that most people just can't sustain that over the long run. So kudos for being one of the few.

Reactions: Huntn and Phil A.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
CPAP talk- My wife has sleep apnea, she’s been using a Phillips Resperonics System One CPAP. Got a recall notice that do to a foam breakdown item needs to be repaired or replaced. The kicker? Phillips has not got regulatory approval from the Federal Govt so my impression is that nothing is currently being done to repair/replace CPAP units, while they recommend that stop using the unit, and there was some mention of use of “unauthorized” O2 cleaning systems like the $300 SoClean (contributing to the foam breakdown issue), she has been using for several years that uses ionized O2 to kill bacteria in the mask and hose. What too convenient?? This is irritating.

Right now the plan is to contact our medical device supplier and get some advice on replacement or what? The idea of daily hand washing mask and hose is a realistically a non-starter. More to come...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

My wife (Type 2) is now a hawk on her diet…

Reactions: Phil A.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Tip of your tongue ever been sore?
For the last week I have experienced the sore tip of my tongue. I’ll get this out of the way upfront, I don’t do anything unusual, energetic, or risqué with my tongue. :) It feels like when you burn your tongue (I may have) or in you accidentally bite it. So I have patiently been waiting for it to recede, but it seems to be lingering. In the past, if I burn my tongue drinking hot liquids, the burn sensation goes away in a day or two. I examined my tongue, it looks normal, does not look inflamed and on the tip I can barely and I mean barely see a tiny white dot. It’s so small if I was not looking for it, I’d miss it. One of the articles I read mentioned a canker sore as a tiny white dot with a red border, but I can barely see it, much less a red border, so it’s possible a canker sore is not the issue.

Anyway, I brush my teeth and gargle with a mouth wash, for decades, and one possibility mentioned is that mouth washes can cause this, but I don’t think so. Vitamin deficiency was also mentioned as a possibility. I take a multi-vitamin supplement. I also love lemon aid and I wonder if drinking that regularly might cause some irritation because of the acid?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For the last week I have experienced the sore tip of my tongue. I’ll get this out of the way upfront, I don’t do anything unusual, energetic, or risqué with my tongue. :) It feels like when you burn your tongue (I may have) or in you accidentally bite it. So I have patiently been waiting for it to recede, but it seems to be lingering. In the past, if I burn my tongue drinking hot liquids, the burn sensation goes away in a day or two. I examined my tongue, it looks normal, does not look inflamed and on the tip I can barely and I mean barely see a tiny white dot. It’s so small if I was not looking for it, I’d miss it. One of the articles I read mentioned a canker sore as a tiny white dot with a red border, but I can barely see it, much less a red border, so it’s possible a canker sore is not the issue.

Anyway, I brush my teeth and gargle with a mouth wash, for decades, and one possibility mentioned is that mouth washes can cause this, but I don’t think so. Vitamin deficiency was also mentioned as a possibility. I take a multi-vitamin supplement. I also love lemon aid and I wonder if drinking that regularly might cause some irritation because of the acid?

Possibly a clogged saliva duct/pore.

I have not had that happen personally, but I’ve heard of it.

And I think what causes it, it’s sometimes you can damage the duct in a number of ways and it doesn’t heal properly, therefore saliva gets trapped and can cause irritation. In some cases, it could be where it resolves on its own or you need a minor operation. Damaged ducts can occur anywhere in the mouth, from the gums, lips to the tongue.

Reactions: Huntn

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs

I would try either hydrogen peroxide or salt rinse. Both are recommended (especially salt rinse) by my dentist to clear up any minor mouth irritations or infections. The dentist says mouthwashes like Listerine really do nothing, and actually kill good mouth bacteria causing an imbalance.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The dentist says mouthwashes like Listerine really do nothing
That’s absolutely ludicrous.

I don’t know what ‘dentist’ you’re referring and/or frequent, however; I am an avid proponent of teeth cleaning and hygiene, teeth whitening, ect., and one of my good friends is a respected dentist that’s been practicing for years in our community, and he openly discusses how Listerine is a major cleaning agent against gingivitis, which destroys the bacteria that buildups into pockets into the lateral part of the gums.

I’m not saying that Listerine can’t be counterproductive in various areas, but it certainly doesn’t do ‘nothing’. It sounds like the ‘dentist’ you’re referring to, is either uneducated or doesn’t fully understand all the benefits that Listerine actually does do.

I would even challenge you to bring my statement to your ‘dentist’ and tell me that I’m wrong.

• Angry
Reactions: millerj123

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
That’s absolutely ludicrous.

I don’t know what ‘dentist’ you’re referring and/or frequent, however; I am an avid proponent of teeth cleaning and hygiene, teeth whitening, ect., and one of my good friends is a respected dentist that’s been practicing for years in our community, and he openly discusses how Listerine is a major cleaning agent against gingivitis, which destroys the bacteria that buildups into pockets into the lateral part of the gums.

I’m not saying that Listerine can’t be counterproductive in various areas, but it certainly doesn’t do ‘nothing’. It sounds like the ‘dentist’ you’re referring to, is either uneducated or doesn’t fully understand all the benefits that Listerine actually does do.

I would even challenge you to bring my statement to your ‘dentist’ and tell me that I’m wrong.
Not ludicrous at all. My dentist is a also a well-respected prosthodontist in my area and taught dentistry at our university dental school. There have been many studies on how ineffectual over the counter mouthwashes typically are. The effective ones are usually by prescription.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not ludicrous at all.
So…Let me break this down:

You post that Listerine ‘really do nothing’. with no backed empirical data, no sources/links, only expecting for someone else to believe that ‘it do nothing’ over a short sighted sentence, because your dentist says so. Yet, one of the major proponents of what Listerine does (And advocates), is fight gingivitis where bacteria breeds in pockets that used as a cleaning agent to prevent that.

In a sense, there’s no sense trying to refute you, because there’s nothing to refute.

I know I’m rather passionate about this, but I’m not going let you get away with posting things that are not factually accurate.

Thanks for the discussion

• Haha

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
So…Let me break this down:

You post that Listerine ‘really do nothing’. with no backed empirical data, no sources/links, only expecting for someone else to believe that ‘it do nothing’ over a short sighted sentence, because your dentist says so. Yet, one of the major proponents of what Listerine does (And advocates), is fight gingivitis where bacteria breeds in pockets that used as a cleaning agent to prevent that.

In a sense, there’s no sense trying to refute you, because there’s nothing to refute.

I know I’m rather passionate about this, but I’m not going let you get away with posting things that are not factually accurate.

Thanks for the discussion
Your one-sidedness on this is appalling. You simply believe the mouthwash ads and what your dentist happens to tell you. I'd recommend researching what many experts have uncovered about the negative effects of over the counter mouthwashes not previously discussed.

Your "not letting me get away with" comment is pretty ludicrous itself. Many dentists are not aware of many of these studies. But believe what you want. In my experience, anytime I had a gum or similar irritation, Listerine did nothing. Hydrogen peroxide or salt rinse always solved it. Maybe Listerine is good for occasional mouth disinfection, but not everyday use.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In my experience, anytime I had a gum or similar irritation, Listerine did nothing.

You’re obviously not following/paying attention to the discussion closely. Furthermore, You ultimately stated multiple times that Listerine ‘do nothing’. This discussion is _Not_ even about irritation, it’s about that it is a preventative tool against a mouth disease, which is gingivitis. So there again, you can’t say ‘it do nothing’ , when evidently is an agent that is a deterrent to gingivitis. [And I already openly stated that it might be counterproductive in other areas, so there’s no need to rehash that.]

Again, take my statement(s) to your ‘Dentist’, and tell me that I’m wrong.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
You’re obviously not following/paying attention to the discussion closely. Furthermore, You ultimately stated multiple times that Listerine ‘do nothing’. This discussion is _Not_ even about irritation, it’s about that it is a preventative tool against a mouth disease, which is gingivitis. So there again, you can’t say ‘it do nothing’ , when evidently is an agent that is a deterrent to gingivitis.

Again, take my statement(s) to your ‘Dentist’, and tell me that I’m wrong.
Why don't you take my statement to YOUR dentist and ask for an opinion. If you'd stop being insulting and patronizing, maybe we can have a constructive discussion. More information:

"Most mouthwashes contain alcohol, a known cause of head and neck cancer (oral cavity, pharynx, larynx), likely through the carcinogenic activity of acetaldehyde, formed in the oral cavity from alcohol."
See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4752930/

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not ludicrous at all. My dentist is a also a well-respected prosthodontist in my area and taught dentistry at our university dental school. There have been many studies on how ineffectual over the counter mouthwashes typically are. The effective ones are usually by prescription.
After online research, I’m considering both salt or hydrogen peroxide gargles. I assume that is 50% with water for the latter. Doesn’t an antiseptic mouthwash do something similar to HP? I use a Waterpik regularly with a mix of half water, half anti-septic mouthwash and that got rid of a bleeding gum issue I had. Admittedly, just water and wateropik could have accomplished the same outcome.

What does your dentist recommend for a mouthwash if any?
edit:just saw your previous post and link. Thsnks!

related kinda:

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As related to the previous post, I am no longer using an antiseptic mouthwash. I do have a no alcohol with fluoride wash that I use on occasion, but not everyday. Mostly my Soniccare toothbrush, and Waterpik seem to do the job for keeping my oral hygiene in decent shape.

Switch topic- blood pressure. I work out 3 times a week, 2 days in the pool, swim 2500 yards, one day in the gym, doing Matt stretches, exercises and light weights, 40-60 lbs for 90 minutes When I checked my blood pressure at the Higi Station in my grocery store, yesterday it was 113/80. I do take a blood pressure medication. 113 is not bad, but the bottom number has crept up to 80 which it says is high.

So I looked it up:

I’ll talk to my doctor when I see him in Sept.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ever have a wart?

What treatment have you used?

The fastest treatment I ever had was to let the doctor freeze one.

When I was a child I had a wart. My Grandfather who lived in the mountains of West Virginia in a much different time, feels like a different life, took a penny, and told me he was going to buy it. I can’t remember if he said some words as he rubbed it on the wart and told me to keep this penny in my pocket. The wart went away. Apparently there is a technical vs comelier reason why this works, copper oxide.

Ok, well that memory just popped into my head. :)

I have had a wart now, what I think it’s a wart, on the top of the first joint of my index finger. It’s circular and has been there for years, but it does not seem like it is actively growing. I’d post a picture except it’s covered with a wart pad. Maybe I’ll take one later.

A couple of years ago, I tried freezing it off with a do it at home commercial kit, but it did not appear to work, or did it? The round protrusion is still there, but it does not seem to be active, but the circular protrusion is still there.

C223762C-3BC1-4979-9A6B-F8CC8AE48B46.jpeg

So this time I’ve been using Compound W One Step Pads. These are cool because the medicine, Salicylic Acid is held in place by a bandaid that seals around the wart Holding the medicine in place. A note on the box says it coukd take 12 weeks to get rid of it. If these are worn for 48 hours, sequentially, there is enough for approx one month, per box, and theybare inexpensive.

I’m working on my second box. The treatment seems to be slowly eating into this what looks like a wart And I am starting to see the normal skin pattern as compared to my other index finger. No pain experuenced so far. I’ll assume you are supposed to stop when you can no longer see the circle? 😳

I wonder if you could over do it and scar yourself?

Anyway when I finish with this second box, if it is still there, maybe I should find an old Penny and buy it? :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

After you lost the weight did your Diabetes recede? My wife was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in the last year. Yes, she could stand to lose some weight. She stabs herself twice a day to check her blood sugar lavel and seems to be controlling that.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Ever have a wart?

What treatment have you used?

The fastest treatment I ever had was to let the doctor freeze one.

When I was a child I had a wart. My Grandfather who lived in the mountains of West Virginia in a much different time, feels like a different life, took a penny, and told me he was going to buy it. I can’t remember if he said some words as he rubbed it on the wart and told me to keep this penny in my pocket. The wart went away. Apparently there is a technical vs comelier reason why this works, copper oxide.

Ok, well that memory just popped into my head. :)

I have had a wart now, what I think it’s a wart, on the top of the first joint of my index finger. It’s circular and has been there for years, but it does not seem like it is actively growing. I’d post a picture except it’s covered with a wart pad. Maybe I’ll take one later.

A couple of years ago, I tried freezing it off with a do it at home commercial kit, but it did not appear to work, or did it? The round protrusion is still there, but it does not seem to be active, but the circular protrusion is still there.

So this time I’ve been using Compound W One Step Pads. These are cool because the medicine, Salicylic Acid is held in place by a bandaid that seals around the wart Holding the medicine in place. A note on the box says it coukd take 12 weeks to get rid of it. If these are worn for 48 hours, sequentially, there is enough for approx one month, per box, and theybare inexpensive.

I’m working on my second box. The treatment seems to be slowly eating into this what looks like a wart And I am starting to see the normal skin pattern as compared to my other index finger. No pain experuenced so far. I’ll assume you are supposed to stop when you can no longer see the circle? 😳

I wonder if you could over do it and scar yourself?

Anyway when I finish with this second box, if it is still there, maybe I should find an old Penny and buy it? :)
I had a wart when I was 20 or so, got it frozen to remove it and it was rapid.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
After you lost the weight did your Diabetes recede? My wife was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in the last year. Yes, she could stand to lose some weight. She stabs herself twice a day to check her blood sugar label snd seems to be controlling that.
Yeah, it appears to be in remission with my HbA1C readings in the non diabetic range. I don't know if that's because of the weight loss or tight control of my diet though

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
I have epilepsy, bilateral frontal lobe and temporal lobe, but mostly left and mostly temporal lobe.

I also have allergies and asthma.

And, I've been dealing with piles for around a month, according to my doctor they're not serious, they're just symptomatic because of the extreme heat.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Does anyone drink a daily dose of diluted apple vineager cider?

By now you have probably heard about some of the health benefits or uses of apple cider vinegar. More and more people are discovering its multipurpose benefits and using it as a one-stop shop for daily needs. Here are 20 uses for apple cider vinegar (ACV) that will inspire you to incorporate it into your daily routine too.

1. It helps in controlling the blood sugar level
  2. It is anti-bacterial and prevents infection
  3. It may aid in weight loss by changing the way the gut bacteria processes the fats
  4. It helps in the reduction of blood pressure
  5. It reduces the high cholesterol level
  6. It helps in regulating body PH
  7. It is supposed to help in the detoxification of the body
  8. It improves cardiovascular health
  9. It is supposed to prevent cancer
  10. It treats dandruff
  11. It helps to reduce the swelling of the vagina (vaginitis)
  12. It soothes the affected area of acne
  13. It calms insect bites when applied to the affected area
  14. It relieves sunburn when applied to the affected area
  15. It helps in getting a clear skin
  16. It helps to treat dyspepsia or indigestion
  17. It removes parasite infection
  18. It subsides leg cramps
  19. It diminishes the process of aging
  20. It helps in increasing hair shine
However, there has been insufficient evidence that supports all these health benefits of ACV. Besides, there have been conflicting viewpoints stated by different researchers, regarding the various health benefits of ACV.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Does anyone drink a daily dose of diluted apple vineager cider?

By now you have probably heard about some of the health benefits or uses of apple cider vinegar. More and more people are discovering its multipurpose benefits and using it as a one-stop shop for daily needs. Here are 20 uses for apple cider vinegar (ACV) that will inspire you to incorporate it into your daily routine too.

1. It helps in controlling the blood sugar level
  2. It is anti-bacterial and prevents infection
  3. It may aid in weight loss by changing the way the gut bacteria processes the fats
  4. It helps in the reduction of blood pressure
  5. It reduces the high cholesterol level
  6. It helps in regulating body PH
  7. It is supposed to help in the detoxification of the body
  8. It improves cardiovascular health
  9. It is supposed to prevent cancer
  10. It treats dandruff
  11. It helps to reduce the swelling of the vagina (vaginitis)
  12. It soothes the affected area of acne
  13. It calms insect bites when applied to the affected area
  14. It relieves sunburn when applied to the affected area
  15. It helps in getting a clear skin
  16. It helps to treat dyspepsia or indigestion
  17. It removes parasite infection
  18. It subsides leg cramps
  19. It diminishes the process of aging
  20. It helps in increasing hair shine
However, there has been insufficient evidence that supports all these health benefits of ACV. Besides, there have been conflicting viewpoints stated by different researchers, regarding the various health benefits of ACV.

I have done this on and off, sometimes in conjunction with local honey to help with the flavor. I have been told by multiple people and healthcare providers to drink it through a straw to help minimize contact with your teeth and to rinse a short while after drinking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.