Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Fallout 4 and Skyrim are the one's I keep playing. They are aging very well and the replayability is phenomenal. I also really liked the original Prey on the Mac OS. Played the hell out of it. Still have it on my machine, too.

Reactions: adnbek

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Well I would say Uncharted 2.

But then along came The Last Of Us, and I have never had a game take me in such an engrossing story as that! The most perfect game for me bar none!

For current gen, so far I’d say DOOM cause it’s mad fun and Forza horizon 3, oh and Halo Wars 2. Oh and Gears Of War, any of them, they kinda redefined the shooter for me.

I have to agree. The Last of Us was the best game I have ever played. I am hoping that The Last of Us Part 2 will be even better.

Reactions: apolloa

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Zelda BOTW
Super Mario Odyssey
Stardew Valley

One of these days I'll get around to trying Fallout 4. I'll probably pick it up whenever it's on sale next.

Last edited:

MisterLizard

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2018
Nier: Automata really took the cake for me. Although the game is quick to beat (all five endings), it was all about the story and silk-smooth gameplay. It was by far the "Masterpiece You'll Never Play."

bnx

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Valkyria Chronicles
Fallout 4 (especially Far Harbor, haven't played Nuka World yet)
GTA V
Yakuza 4
Sleeping Dogs

Yakuza 4 is the game that got me into the Yakuza series. And for me, it's easily one of the best games I played on PS3.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Yakuza 4 is the game that got me into the Yakuza series. And for me, it's easily one of the best games I played on PS3.

Yeah one of my favorite series, very underrated in the US.

purgatori_sakkara

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2018
Australia
By 'modern era' I'm assuming you have in mind games released for the current generation of consoles? Hm... Well I think it would have to be NieR Automata for me. As an open world game, it's not so great... It also lacks the amount and variety of content I would expect for an RPG, and it's not terribly challenging (at least not in a rewarding way), but it's a sequel to a masterpiece, and a masterpiece in its own right in terms of storytelling, music, character development, and philosophical exploration---and those things matter more to me than gameplay.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well I think it would have to be NieR Automata for me. As an open world game, it's not so great... It also lacks the amount and variety of content I would expect for an RPG, and it's not terribly challenging (at least not in a rewarding way), but it's a sequel to a masterpiece, and a masterpiece in its own right in terms of storytelling, music, character development, and philosophical exploration---and those things matter more to me than gameplay.
I enjoyed Nier and its a nice game, but I don't think I'd call it a favorite game, especially given the negatives you wrote. I don't think it matters that its a sequal to a masterpiece. The game on its own is ok, but no where near the depth of other games. Just my $.02

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Not my #1, but I just wanted to mention Axiom Verge. If you like Metroidvania, this is the game for you. I got every secret.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Not my #1, but I just wanted to mention Axiom Verge. If you like Metroidvania, this is the game for you. I got every secret.
As a big fan of Metroid who had never heard of Axiom Verge, thanks! This game looks awesome and I'll definitely buy it.

Reactions: b_scott

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
The Division and Dark Souls III

Love the replayability of both.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
It has to be Bloodborne. That's probably such a cliche answer but damn if that game isn't amazing. I love the entire Dark Souls franchise.

Reactions: Taustin Powers

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
Can't remember if I replied before, but I think my all time favorite is Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4. I'm not sure what it is, but I really enjoyed the story arc quite a bit. The graphics, the controls... everything worked well for me.

I recently started playing Far Cry 5 (never really played the earlier ones) and am having a good time in that as well.

--rob

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
In recent memory Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Sonic Mania and Minecraft once Notch left and MS took over :) (because he's a scumbag and due to that he never got a dime outta me)

All time faves?? Mario World, Sonic 2, GTA 5 when played online

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.