Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Anyone here use WhatsApp often on their iPad? What's the best way to do so? Thanks.

blue66holden

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2022
I use the app called WhatsPad Chat. It’s ok. Not great. Interested to know if anyone has a recommendation too.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Honestly until there is an official app, using whatsapp web on iPad is a very compromised solutions (no notifications, poor refreshing etc.). Personally I do what I do with other software that do not exist for iPad, I remote into a laptop.... (jump desktop gives me proper resolution and audio)

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
I’ve been using the web app recently & find it’s pretty good, it can take a few seconds to connect initially but is otherwise stabl. Just make sure to join the multiple device beta on the iPhone first.

Reactions: ukms and curdy

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I’ve been using the web app recently & find it’s pretty good, it can take a few seconds to connect initially but is otherwise stabl. Just make sure to join the multiple device beta on the iPhone first.
Okay I just joined the beta. I created a shortcut to the site on my iPad home screen. So the best way forward is to simply link my iPad to my WhatsApp account and keep said tab open in Safari?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Okay I just joined the beta. I created a shortcut to the site on my iPad home screen. So the best way forward is to simply link my iPad to my WhatsApp account and keep said tab open in Safari?
Beta or not in my experience it just works as poorly as it always has on Safari... until they make a proper apps it's just as bad as it used to be...

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
Yes that’s what I do.

Beta or not in my experience it just works as poorly as it always has on Safari... until they make a proper apps it's just as bad as it used to be...
your mileage may differ from mine but I’ve not had any issues so far

BigBag

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2012
I try to do Whatsapp Web on my iPad but when I scan the QR code, my phone keeps telling me to do it again. Never works. I even asked Whatsapp support and they just said the iPad isn't a supported device, so I was basically SOL. I downloaded "Whats Up" (meh) and it's worked ok. So frustrating, though.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Been using Watusi for a while but still no notifications.
iPadOs 16 promises web notifs so maybe it'll work better that way..
How did you get Watusi working on iPad? I tried before but it wouldn't allow me to login via iPad.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I use a VOIP number to which I can receive calls for verification.
Try a different number or put the sim in another device?

Ps: My LTE Mini 6 is the only device associated with WA.

Bruh Cat

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2022
Searching for an answer too. Temporarily I am using either WhatsPad and the Web App shortcut, but the experience is lacking.

Sending out files is clunky compared to windows, and using it for sending out documents is sometimes a hassle (constant refreshing). Replying is solid though, no complaints there.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Searching for an answer too. Temporarily I am using either WhatsPad and the Web App shortcut, but the experience is lacking.

Sending out files is clunky compared to windows, and using it for sending out documents is sometimes a hassle (constant refreshing). Replying is solid though, no complaints there.
I don't think it's possible at the moment unless you have a cellular iPad and you are happy to open a second account via your iPad phone number. There doesn't seem to be any way to use the app to login to the same account as your phone.

It seems it is under development .

Reactions: lozion

Bruh Cat

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2022
I don't think it's possible at the moment unless you have a cellular iPad and you are happy to open a second account via your iPad phone number. There doesn't seem to be any way to use the app to login to the same account as your phone.

It seems it is under development .
I've read this news multiple times since 2020, and it first said "soon". Now it's "in the future". Forgive me for being cynical, but I've been played by WhatsApp Beta rumors, and would really love it to follow Telegram's example of proper multi-device support. But hey, good news that it's actually a feature now in the Beta.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Personally I wouldn’t use any unofficial app until the real one comes to iPad. There were hints from the head of WhatsApp and a native Windows app just launched so we can live in hope! Seems ridiculous after all this time that there isn’t one.

Head of WhatsApp on releasing an iPad app: ‘We’d love to do it’
Facebook hates Apple, they won't be making an iPad app anytime soon. MacOS or Windows is the only way. But I 100% agree with you on not using unofficial apps. Here in Europe for instance everybody have their whole life on whatsapp, so not worth putting all those data at risk...

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Its absolutely do-able, been using Wechat (which is China's answer to Whatsapp) and its got a lot more features than Whatsapp yet they have had an iPad app for years -- works great. Comes down to Facebook and their priorities on where they want to be strategically, and obviously with the lack of Instagram app we all know the real story

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
The real story is about tracking & freedom.
With Whatsapp on a cell iPad with locations turned off and no GSM radio pinging, you are not traceable..

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The real story is about tracking & freedom.
With Whatsapp on a cell iPad with locations turned off and no GSM radio pinging, you are not traceable..
For me the real story is a physical keyboard. I write hundreds of messages a day for my business and I hate writing on a software keyboard

Reactions: CosminM

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Careful iPados 16.1 breaks Watusi..
anyone got WA running on the new OS?
what about web notifs, can that work with whatsapp web?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.