Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sml12

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Just requesting a status update for whatsapp for web on the ipad ..
- does calling work?
- does video calling work?
- do notifications work?

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
All the developers at meta are busy adding legs to avatars in the metaverse, there’s no one working on an iPad version of WhatsApp

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Lack of WhatsApp is a contributing factor to the decline of iPad ownership in Asia. No one I know has bought an iPad in recent memory, most of the ones I see are 5th and 6th gen base models. In fact my parents just asked me to erase their iPads so they could be donated to charity. Most people just use bigger phones and ultraportables.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don't know how much this impacts iPad sales, but WhatsApp is definitely a huge deal outside the US. I could move a lot of my business work to iPad if whatsapp was available on iPads.
I write hundreds of messages to my clients every day, let alone private ones, and 99.99% is written on a physical keyboard, no way I could write those thousands of words on a phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I don't know how much this impacts iPad sales, but WhatsApp is definitely a huge deal outside the US. I could move a lot of my business work to iPad if whatsapp was available on iPads.
I write hundreds of messages to my clients every day, let alone private ones, and 99.99% is written on a physical keyboard, no way I could write those thousands of words on a phone.

I feel most people outside the U.S. use WhatsApp or WeChat for business. Both those platforms work on a notebook and people just run it on their ThinkPad or MacBook.

Reactions: Digitalguy

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
Can you actually use the iPhone version of the official Whatsapp-app (sorry) on iPadOS?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I have been lot less writing on WhatsApp since I started using Ms Team at work early last year. It’s not ideal but at least it can run on iPad.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Has anyone worked out how to enable notifications?

I have WhatsApp saved as a web app on iPad. I have gone to settings in WhatsApp and enabled notifications. No prompt for permissions appears.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Has anyone worked out how to enable notifications?

I have WhatsApp saved as a web app on iPad. I have gone to settings in WhatsApp and enabled notifications. No prompt for permissions appears.
As written before. It prompts for sending notifications and can see it in the system settings -> notifications, but it doesn’t work.

This must also be supported on server side.

Reactions: lozion

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
As written before. It prompts for sending notifications and can see it in the system settings -> notifications, but it doesn’t work.

This must also be supported on server side.
Thanks. Interestingly I don't even get a prompt on Safari to allow notifications. The button on WhatsApp Web does nothing when I tap it.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Something is happening. I’m not getting any notification, but a badge, now.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: lozion
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.