Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I have now got Watusi working on my iPad in companion mode. Here is how to do it:

1. Use a signing service or something like Altstore to sideload apps on your iPad. There is no need to do this on your iPhone.
2. Download the Watusi IPA from here.
3. Install the IPA onto your iPad.
4. Follow the instructions in the app to link to your iPhone.

There are a couple of limitations. Firstly, it is only possible to use WhatsApp on iPad in iPhone mode either zoomed out or in. There is no universal app. Secondly, notifications don't work. Thirdly, iCloud backup isn't available, but that will happen from the primary phone.

It's not a perfect solution, but it works well and is a native WhatsApp experience.
Ok txs. Do you have to re sign it? I see Builds hasnt updated yet..

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Recently WhatsApp released some statements about proper iPad support but as with most of their announcements about more than phones, nothing is happening. Honestly I wish this app would die so I can stop using it.

Reactions: lozion

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Recently WhatsApp released some statements about proper iPad support but as with most of their announcements about more than phones, nothing is happening. Honestly I wish this app would die so I can stop using it.
Me too. They're dragging their heels on an Apple Silicon version for Mac too. Personally I'd be happy if everyone used iMessage but that's not going to happen, especially in the EU.

Reactions: h00ligan

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Then just stop using it. I already did.
Unfortunately I have colleagues that won’t stop. In some markets whatsapp is considered the go-to business communication tool. There are even daily training services that deliver through it.

Let’s not get started on WeChat …

Suffice it to say business operations in 27 countries with a smaller company that’s all remote is a real pain when it comes to internal comms, it would be great if the popular ones which are poorly implemented would go away :)

@lozion nailed it too / LatAm , it’s a way of life. Super frustrating!

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Tbh, it’s just up to you. You can still use iMessage with SMS fallback.
That’s incorrect. People disable sms because it has associated costs (or maybe it did until recently)

Regardless, people flat out turn it off. And it’s limited for things like mms, which does carry a sometimes high cost.

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2022
Can WhatsApp be installed as PWA (web application) on iPad? If this is not possible right now, I think it should be requested. Because then notifications work and it's actually easier than developing an app. (I think developing applications is easy for them, but whatever.)

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
Can WhatsApp be installed as PWA (web application) on iPad? If this is not possible right now, I think it should be requested. Because then notifications work and it's actually easier than developing an app. (I think developing applications is easy for them, but whatever.)
Yes, it can : web.WhatsApp.com However, no notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.