Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Any news on this?
I have been using the beta now for a few weeks. It works mostly as expected, but I have encountered quite a few minor glitches. No crashes yet. It needs polishing, but the experience is mostly ok. If I was to guess, release will be within a month or two, as it seems to be at an advanced stage of readiness.

Reactions: lozion

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Interestingly the last 2 iOS TestFlight builds no longer include iPad support. :confused:

That sucks. This is one of the reasons we stick to Messages (iMessage + SMS/MMS). This is made easier by unlimited messaging on most US cellphone plans.

Messages + FB Messenger works better for us for the convenience of being able to send and receive messages on all our devices.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That sucks. This is one of the reasons we stick to Messages (iMessage + SMS/MMS). This is made easier by unlimited messaging on most US cellphone plans.

Messages + FB Messenger works better for us for the convenience of being able to send and receive messages on all our devices.
I wish messenger was the default here in Europe instead of whatsapp, it's so convenient to have it on iPad and on unlimited devices. Whatsapp is not on iPad (yet) and is limited to 4 connected devices, which is plenty for regular people but not much for people who have multiple phones, laptops, tablets and desktops...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I wish messenger was the default here in Europe instead of whatsapp, it's so convenient to have it on iPad and on unlimited devices. Whatsapp is not on iPad (yet) and is limited to 4 connected devices, which is plenty for regular people but not much for people who have multiple phones, laptops, tablets and desktops...

Lol, I hear you. I think I have 20 iOS devices altogether and I receive iMessage (including SMS OTPs) on all of them.

In the US, we just use iMessage with SMS fallback. For family and friends in the Philippines, we use FB Messenger. I just bought a Philippine eSIM so there's always text for those who don't have always on data.

Reactions: winxmac

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Lol, I hear you. I think I have 20 iOS devices altogether and I receive iMessage (including SMS OTPs) on all of them.

In the US, we just use iMessage with SMS fallback. For family and friends in the Philippines, we use FB Messenger. I just bought a Philippine eSIM so there's always text for those who don't have always on data.
Wow you beat me in number of IOS devices, I thought it was not possible....😂
I "only have" 10 iPads and an iPhone... 😅 but maybe I make up for it in terms of Windows devices and to a lesser extent Android ones... Just tablets/convertible I have around 7/8 on Windows and 3/4 on Android, plus a couple of regular laptops and not counting the older devices that sit in some drawers (laptops and all my old phones, since I have never sold any phone...)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Personally I have the same id on every device otherwise I cannot use my purchased apps

You can use separate IDs for iCloud and iTunes/App Store on the same device.

Before Family Sharing, this is what I used to do since I keep a separate iCloud account for iOS betas.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You can use separate IDs for iCloud and iTunes/App Store on the same device.

Before Family Sharing, this is what I used to do since I keep a separate iCloud account for iOS betas.
I did it once when I got my mini 4 from my ex girlfriend (we swapped iPads, I gave her the air and she gave me the mini 4). But I have never created a separate Apple ID myself. What would be the advantage for betas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.