Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I don't approve of the UK Government interfering when it comes to encryption or privacy, but I don't trust Meta either. I've wanted to delete WhatsApp but quite a few of my contacts are not on other platforms and won't move.

Reactions: 4odomi and mhnd

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Tories have wanted to weaken encryption not only so they can squash opposition and assault minorities but also to help their offshored scam companies steal your money if they can. These same companies based in Asia and British Virgin Islands rob millions even billions from around the world and then funnel some of that money into conservative and far right parties. There is also association with Binance and Tether to help launder these looted funds.

Boris Johnson has been given millions by these people for “speeches”.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
When the IT companies are becoming more and more powerful than the armies and governments...they set the trend and the rules apparently
Knowledge is power, and who have more knowledge than our phones companies these days..
So you are criticizing WhatsApp for their position and feel they should do as this proposal would require?

I sure hope you aren't, but I fear from your comment, you believe a government should be able to see and inspect everything you do and that they know better than we do. Scary.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Tories have wanted to weaken encryption not only so they can squash opposition and assault minorities but also to help their offshored scam companies steal your money if they can. These same companies based in Asia and British Virgin Islands Rob millions even billions from around the world and then funnel some of that money into conservative and far right parties. There is also association with Binance and Tether to help launder these looted funds.

Boris Johnson has been given millions by these people for “speeches”.
When making claims such as you have, it is helpful if you offer something besides the words you have written. It is hard to take a unsupported conspiracy comment seriously at all.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
It is totally irresponsible of social media companies who provide end to end encryption on their messaging platforms to allow criminal activity to be active on their platforms and say there is not much they can do about it because they would have to weaken their encryption to monitor if criminal activity is taking place on their platform and then to throw their toys out the pram when authorities come knocking on their door telling them they have to get their act together or else.
It’s totally irresponsible for lock and alarm companies to allow people to lock doors and cabinets to keep their private stuff from prying eyes. Even the governments. I guess encryption should be banned on IP cameras, so the government can make sure you aren’t doing anything illegal in the house.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
When making claims such as you have, it is helpful if you offer something besides the words you have written. It is hard to take a unsupported conspiracy comment seriously at all.

Don’t gaslight if you have nothing to refute it with. People know I posted facts. It’s all over the web just by searching the keywords in my post.

Reactions: arkitect and mhnd

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
No the UK is.
It aspires to be. Three steps forward, two steps back...

In any case, the debate is just not between the companies and the UK government. It is also between the apps' users and the government. Young people are probably going to be furious about this if it comes to pass, and they vote. On my part, I do not think governments should be allowed to conduct blanket electronic surveillance without probable cause. If they have evidence of crime, then they should get a search warrant. And it is not as though the UK police have an unblemished record of actually prosecuting those who have committed crimes against women and girls (even when the crime has been reported in person), or indeed clearing their ranks of people who commit such crimes.

I am no expert in security, so perhaps somebody here would know: wouldn't breaking end-to-end encryption also break VPN's? Communication with banks via apps?

raindogg

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
Brooklyn NY
I have two kids, if I don't want them on WhatsApp or any App for that matter I block it, or take their phone away. I never think "Let me F it up for the rest of the world because I can't control what MY KIDS do".

I also think these types of people, you know the ones who want to control everyone, they always start with "The Kids" except for mass shootings, then **** it.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

WhatsApp would exit the U.K. market rather than be in thrall to the government's proposed Online Safety Bill if it undermined the app's end-to-end encryption, the platform's chief has said (via BBC News).

Whatsapp-Feature.jpg

End-to-end encryption ensures that only the user and the person they are communicating with can read or listen to what is sent, and nobody in between, not even Meta/Facebook, can gain access to this content. However, the government, and some child-protection charities, argue that such encryption hinders efforts to combat the growing problem of online child abuse.

Under the bill, the government could force WhatsApp to apply content moderation policies that are impossible to implement without removing end-to-end encryption. If WhatsApp refused to do so, it could face fines of up to 4 percent of its parent company Meta's annual turnover.

But speaking during a U.K. visit in which he will meet legislators to discuss the government's internet regulation, Meta's head of WhatsApp, Will Cathcart, said it would refuse to comply if asked to weaken its encryption, since it would do so for all users.
Encrypted messaging app Signal's president Meredith Whittaker also recently said it "would absolutely, 100% walk" and halt its service in the U.K. if the bill required it to scan messages.

Asked if he would go as far as Signal, Cathcart told the BBC: "We won't lower the security of WhatsApp. We have never done that - and we have accepted being blocked in other parts of the world."

"When a liberal democracy says, 'Is it OK to scan everyone's private communication for illegal content?' that emboldens countries around the world that have very different definitions of illegal content to propose the same thing," Cathcart said.

WhatsApp is the most popular messaging platform in the U.K., used by more than seven in 10 adults who are online, according to communication regulator Ofcom.

The U.K. government's Online Safety Bill is expected to return to parliament this summer.

Article Link: WhatsApp Says It Would Leave UK If Government Tried to Weaken Encryption
Never been convinced by the end to end encryption being 100% on what's app , however I 100% agree with them on this, if the government want to protect children, than it's very simple, ban them from being online until 16 and lock up parents who allow this! The world would instantly become a better & a safer place for our children!

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
its UK...lets see what they would do if this would have been China
WeChat rules in China, a better example would be INDIA, having said that, I agree with what's app on this issue!
Child abuse online, can only be solved by taking our children off line

Reactions: MacNeb

IamTimCook

Suspended
Dec 13, 2016
I didn’t see Apple threatening to pull out of UK over the governmental overreach, dictating what should and should not be on Apple’s platform.

Did you miss all that news?
Apple doesn't have to pull out of the offending country, in this case the US. Tim Cook said he wouldn't comply to the court orders. Apple has literally said F you to US court orders demanding Apple make a back door for iPhones.

US Courts: I order you to make a backdoor for iOS.
Tim Cook: F-Off, we aren't doing it.
US Courts: What do we do now?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.