Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
It is totally irresponsible of social media companies who provide end to end encryption on their messaging platforms to allow criminal activity to be active on their platforms and say there is not much they can do about it because they would have to weaken their encryption to monitor if criminal activity is taking place on their platform and then to throw their toys out the pram when authorities come knocking on their door telling them they have to get their act together or else.
Can you imagine the postal service opening your letters, just on the off chance you may be engaging in illegal activity? No I didn't think so šŸ˜ If we want to protect our children we should be taking them off line, not diluting our privacy!

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
That is some STRONG leadership, very proud of WhatsApp right now! Contrast that with Apple's WEAK leadership, kowtowing to the EU USB-C requirement.

This is not a fair analogy, IMO. One is about protecting peopleā€™s privacy, whereas replacing Appleā€™s old proprietary connector (Lightening) with a more universally adopted and more technically advanced one (USB-C) will actually benefit the customers, wonā€™t it?

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
It is totally irresponsible of social media companies who provide end to end encryption on their messaging platforms to allow criminal activity to be active on their platforms and say there is not much they can do about it because they would have to weaken their encryption to monitor if criminal activity is taking place on their platform and then to throw their toys out the pram when authorities come knocking on their door telling them they have to get their act together or else.
Can you imagine the postal service opening your letters, just on the off chance you may be engaging in illegal activity? No I didn't think so šŸ˜ If we want to protect our children we should be taking them off line, not diluting our privacy!
I would add that this ask from the UK government is all the more concerning since they are now openly persecuting migrants, making asylum seekers illegal and proudly publishing legislation that is incompatible with the ECHR. A sad, sad bunch indeed.
That's the only good thing this government has done in the last 2 years, I suspect it's just posturing, however if they make it stick, then they will win the next election šŸ˜Š

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
This is not a fair analogy, IMO. One is about protecting peopleā€™s privacy, whereas replacing Appleā€™s old proprietary connector (Lightening) with a more universally adopted and more technically advanced one (USB-C) will actually benefit the customers, wonā€™t it?
Yes, it will.

Forcing companies to adopt non-proprietary, standards based connectors in an attempt to reduce waste and redundant cables and chargers = good thing.

Forcing companies to adopt mechanisms to dilute security and allow for snooping = bad thing.

Honestly, I think the tech world has the upper hand on this one, because the vast majority of people support privacy. So if their favourite tech giant refuses to comply, they'll be supported by their customers. The Government will lose, and that's good, because it's overreach anyway.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
That's the only good thing this government has done in the last 2 years, I suspect it's just posturing, however if they make it stick, then they will win the next election šŸ˜Š
Anyone that would condone a government attacking the poorest and most desperate people in a country , to distract the population from its own useless administration , needs to give their heads a wobble. Shame on you.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Itā€™s easy to make threats to influence politicians.

But will they actually do it and surrender their market share? I donā€™t believe it for a second. Letā€™s not give them credit for talking the talk.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK

you sound like a lovely person

• Love
Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Forcing companies to adopt non-proprietary, standards based connectors in an attempt to reduce waste and redundant cables and chargers = good thing.

Just a correction: the EU is not even forcing apple to adopt non-proprietary connectors. Just ONE of the connectors in the device needs to be standard. Apple can have all the proprietary ports they want by simply adding more than one to their devices.

Reactions: Samplasion

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
Just a correction: the EU is not even forcing apple to adopt non-proprietary connectors. Just ONE of the connectors in the device needs to be standard. Apple can have all the proprietary ports they want by simply adding more than one to their devices.
Yes, you're quite right. That hadn't occurred to me. But forcing them have at least that one standard port is, in my opinion, the right thing to do.

• Disagree
Reactions: usagora

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Never been convinced by the end to end encryption being 100% on what's app , however I 100% agree with them on this, if the government want to protect children, than it's very simple, ban them from being online until 16 and lock up parents who allow this! The world would instantly become a better & a safer place for our children!
You remind me of Tipper and her campaign against violence in music and video games from the 80s. Nothing happened.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Yes, it will.

Forcing companies to adopt mechanisms to dilute security and allow for snooping = bad thing.

Honestly, I think the tech world has the upper hand on this one, because the vast majority of people support privacy. So if their favourite tech giant refuses to comply, they'll be supported by their customers. The Government will lose, and that's good, because it's overreach anyway.

Sort of ironic how you think one is overreach and the other isn't. Both are overreach.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
And your solution is what exactly? Should no-one have a right to private messages and conversations anymore?

Whats next, strip searches for everyone, suspicious or not, just in case they are doing something illegal?
Itā€™s totally irresponsible for lock and alarm companies to allow people to lock doors and cabinets to keep their private stuff from prying eyes. Even the governments. I guess encryption should be banned on IP cameras, so the government can make sure you arenā€™t doing anything illegal in the house.
That is the goal. Warrantless monitoring of everyones tech.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth

Depending on which country you live in, people's post does get checked because ALL post get's scanned one form or another. The only thing the postal service would not be able to see is the written words but yes some postal services in the world DO check peoples post.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
And your solution is what exactly? Should no-one have a right to private messages and conversations anymore?

That is the goal. Warrantless monitoring of everyones tech.
My solution is the governments solution. What's yours? Basically you want criminals to be able to go about their criminal activity unchecked. Same goes for everyone else who down votes me, all of you want criminals to go unchecked because none of you can come up with a viable solution that will deter criminals.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Apple doesn't have to pull out of the offending country, in this case the US. Tim Cook said he wouldn't comply to the court orders. Apple has literally said F you to US court orders demanding Apple make a back door for iPhones.

US Courts: I order you to make a backdoor for iOS.
Tim Cook: F-Off, we aren't doing it.
US Courts: What do we do now?

Yes but in the UK, not US. Of course Apple wouldnā€™t pull out the US, they just said No like you reminded me. And it isnā€™t apples to apples comparison that weā€™re making.

I honestly forgot about the f you to US government, but Apple isnā€™t threatening to pull out of UK for governmental overreach with their recent ruling: which is my point that I thought Apple should have done instead of introducing USB-C.

it just seemed like Apple caved and complied with the UK instead of threatening to pull out, which is what I think they should have done.

šŸ‘

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
It is a good publicity stunt for Meta. They know it is unlikely that they it will get that far, but at the same time they appear like the guard of user privacy. That is quite absurd. Meta makes billions with user data. They do not really need to know the content of the messages. The meta data is much more valuable. It allows Meta to create a social graph of its users. They know who sends messages to who, how often and at what time of the day or the night.

For messages to people really close to you you should NEVER use WhatsApp. If a person is really important to you, you can even use a messaging app just for messages to that person. Meta really should not know when and how often you write messages to your wife, your mother, your kids. You should not use iMessage for all those people either, as Apple is also very interested in your social graph for ad targeting.

Really dangerous people will grow to great length to hide their communication including the meta data. All those anti terrorist measures usually only reduce the privacy of normal people. If you use TOR for example, your connection gets really slow. So most people, who do not do anything illegal, will prefer speed over privacy.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
However, the government, and some child-protection charities, argue that such encryption hinders efforts to combat the growing problem of online child abuse.
Typical government knee jerk response: ā€œbanā€.

99.99 percent of gun owners are law abiding, 0.01 percent commits crime - ban guns.

People use encrypted chat because of sense of safety and privacy, a fraction of a percent uses it for nefarious purposes - ban encryption.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.