Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Don't worry, you lot will change your tune when there is more terrorist attacks with many people dying and it could have been prevented if the security services was able to look into the encrypted conversations of the terrorists. Don't worry, you lot will change your tune when your children are groomed and sexually abused by paedophile gangs because the police was not able to look into the encrypted conversations of the gangs and yes this does and has gone on. Asian grooming gangs used end to end encryption messaging system to avoid being spied upon. There was a big investigation into child sex gangs and paedophile gangs who distributed images of children and they were using end to end encryption messaging system to avoid being spied upon. People only want security and privacy when it does not affect them but when an incident does you bet they will be screaming from high heaven why more wasn't done to stop the criminal. Do not pretend it would be different because there is not a single one upon you who would stare me in the face knowing their loved ones are dead and say they still agree with end to end encryption not having any way to be spied upon, knowing their loved ones would still be alive if the security services were able to look in on encrypted conversations.

Down vote me all you like because deep down you know full well you are just fooling yourselves in accepting that criminals should be allowed to use encrypted messaging services with the knowledge they can do so freely and without being spied upon.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Don't worry, you lot will change your tune when there is more terrorist attacks with many people dying and it could have been prevented if the security services was able to look into the encrypted conversations of the terrorists. Don't worry, you lot will change your tune when your children are groomed and sexually abused by paedophile gangs because the police was not able to look into the encrypted conversations of the gangs and yes this does and has gone on. Asian grooming gangs used end to end encryption messaging system to avoid being spied upon. There was a big investigation into child sex gangs and paedophile gangs who distributed images of children and they were using end to end encryption messaging system to avoid being spied upon. People only want security and privacy when it does not affect them but when an incident does you bet they will be screaming from high heaven why more wasn't done to stop the criminal. Do not pretend it would be different because there is not a single one upon you who would stare me in the face knowing their loved ones are dead and say they still agree with end to end encryption not having any way to be spied upon, knowing their loved ones would still be alive if the security services were able to look in on encrypted conversations.

Down vote me all you like because deep down you know full well you are just fooling yourselves in accepting that criminals should be allowed to use encrypted messaging services with the knowledge they can do so freely and without being spied upon.

What if the terrorists blow up a pedophile ring?

• Haha
Reactions: tech_jared

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
It is totally irresponsible of social media companies who provide end to end encryption on their messaging platforms to allow criminal activity to be active on their platforms and say there is not much they can do about it because they would have to weaken their encryption to monitor if criminal activity is taking place on their platform and then to throw their toys out the pram when authorities come knocking on their door telling them they have to get their act together or else.
Alright, so, a lot of criminal activities are done using USDs and CADs and YENs and all sorts of world wide “Pesos”.

The criminals use these currencies that these countries printed themselves for all sorts of heinous activities ranging from low petty crimes up to the worst revolting nightmare inducing things by buying weapons, trading drugs, trafficking people, etc with said money… now what? “It’s totally irresponsible of all those countries”?

Also, it’s been like that since forever and all sorts of privacy invasion policies, taxes, more taxes and then some more have been put in place to try counteract with nowhere a positive outcome. See the crime ridden sections of LA, MA, NY, etc… heck, even the tax payers dollars are used to fund the defunding of all sorts of law enforcement.

I think this stance Whatsapp took is the way to go. Lately governments are creatively coming up with so many tricks to fine whatever they can, I call this yet another tax going with a different name.

To each their own I guess.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
You legit dont see a difference between a law that explicitly weakens security and privacy protections and one that defines charging plug standards?
I see the difference, but if Apple can't squash the latter, how can they possibly squash the former?

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Does this mean that the government spied all my letters and my phone calls before?. If no, why the need tomdo so now???

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Good, this is the correct attitude.
This way, you will know which app is compromised, ie those who are still in the UK.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
If Apple is unwilling to stand up for its right to use its own charging and data connector, do you think they are willing to go to the mat on a privacy issue, when they can just slip a backdoor into the iPadOS and iPhoneOS code and nobody would be the wiser?

If you recall Apple & FBI dispute of 2016, Apple “did go on the mat” and openly refused to slip a backdoor into iOS. There are lots of sources for it, but I think we can only use MR own links here, so this is one of them:

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I find this entire conversation facetious. It’s easy for WhatsApp to say they’ll leave the UK. When 70% off Britons rely on the app and it’s less than 2% of users, who here has the upper hand?

Let’s see how Meta responds when it’s China…(or do they already have a back door for the CCP?)
WhatsApp has been blocked by China since 2017

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
WhatsApp standing up for privacy?

Meta/FB was literally founded upon anti-privacy and it retains as a fundamental element of its business model, selling personal data without explicit consent.

You’ll forgive me if I raise my eyebrow at WhatsApp’s threat here. Especially all the free publicity they get from the shenanigans of UK ministers using the platform for nefarious (and often childish) communication.

Still, the school mums who spam the platform with inane and neurotic daily missives on lost jumpers, pick up times after sports etc. will be very worried.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
It is totally irresponsible of social media companies who provide end to end encryption on their messaging platforms to allow criminal activity to be active on their platforms and say there is not much they can do about it because they would have to weaken their encryption to monitor if criminal activity is taking place on their platform and then to throw their toys out the pram when authorities come knocking on their door telling them they have to get their act together or else.

Do better detective work. Mass surveillance on innocent people is not how it should be.

Crimes were happening centuries before FaceBook / Meta existed, so encryption is not what causes crime to happen.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
That is some STRONG leadership, very proud of WhatsApp right now! Contrast that with Apple's WEAK leadership, kowtowing to the EU USB-C requirement.
I can’t tell if you’re being obtuse or you genuinely don’t understand the benefit of international standards.

Reactions: seek3r

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
When making claims such as you have, it is helpful if you offer something besides the words you have written. It is hard to take a unsupported conspiracy comment seriously at all.

Hey Chazak,

I have a question about your attempt to gaslight and deflect from Tory crimes.

It would have taken you a minute to read my post, half a minute to think about it and then a couple of minutes to type your response.

How was it possible for you to reply to me within a minute?

Are you using a template or a bot with copypasta gaslighting to attack critics of Tories? We must ask how you could respond so fast because the notification of your reply came within a minute of refreshing the page after I posted.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Do better detective work. Mass surveillance on innocent people is not how it should be.

Crimes were happening centuries before FaceBook / Meta existed, so encryption is not what causes crime to happen.
No but encryption allows crimes to be prolonged and/or go undetected. Encryption also allows criminals a safety net to avoid being detected/captured.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
It is totally irresponsible of social media companies who provide end to end encryption on their messaging platforms to allow criminal activity to be active on their platforms and say there is not much they can do about it
We pay taxes for Police to deal with crime and criminals with the tools and means they got, without threatening our right to privacy.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
We pay taxes for Police to deal with crime and criminals with the tools and means they got, without threatening our right to privacy.
Whilst I appear to be the only one on the other side of this privacy debate, please do not lump everyone into your point of view. There will be others who are not voicing their opinions who will not agree with you thus when you are writing to voice your own opinion/view on the matter, please phrase it as 'my right to privacy'. Thanks.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Whilst I appear to be the only one on the other side of this privacy debate, please do not lump everyone into your point of view. There will be others who are not voicing their opinions who will not agree with you thus when you are writing to voice your own opinion/view on the matter, please phrase it as 'my right to privacy'. Thanks.
I am only expressing my own opinion and not others who may or may not agree, and so should you. You only represent yourself and not other people.

randomnut

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
I have trouble believing Facebook/meta actually care that much about encryption seeing as it was not that long ago they were talking about weakening it so they could scrape your messages for ads, if they’ve not actually done that already.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
If the charity NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) get their claws into it and go pushing hard for it then it will happen because every time the NSPCC have been very vocal about something that the government should introduce/implement, the government have always caved in and done. The NSPCC is a very powerful charity in the UK and when they want something they get it.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i hate facebook and would love nothing more for them (and instagram, whatsapp, quest) to **** off out of existence but have to agree with them here. the government should not be going ahead with this awful bill.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The UK government have given social media companies enough warnings over the past 5 years telling them to improve child protections on their media platforms or the government will do it for them and each year the social media companies have shown contempt to the UK government by not improving child protection to a level that satisfies the government. This is not something that has hit the social media companies out of the blue, this is something that has been going on for years and something the social media companies have know about for years but have been very complacent in their duties on child protection. The social media companies were given enough rope to hang themselves and they have done just that. Now the government have stepped in and started to act which is what they warned the social media companies they would do if they did not get their act together.

Therefore stop blaming the government for doing what they are doing. The fault likes directly at the doors of the social media companies who were given EVERY opportunity over the years to come up with very credible solutions to the problem of how to protect children on their messaging platforms.

Child protection charities saw there was a problem. They spoke to the social media companies to come up with solutions and they were dismissive of the charities concerns because they blustered with the usual PR 'yes, we listened and will we make changes' but these changes dragged on and on and on so the child protection charities went to the UK government asking for their help because they were not getting it from the social media companies. The UK government gave them warnings to change and if they didn't the government would step in. A number of years later and here we are, the government having to step in and oh look, the social media companies are not happy that their business model is going to be affected due to something they refused to do when politely asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.