Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
There's no real reason to replace the data port on the back of iPads. I suspect that they will work. More accessories sold to more iPad models = profit.
I just realized the answer to this is already in front of us. Assuming the leaked dimensions of the 2024 iPads are legitimate, they will be as follows (per 9to5Mac):

• 11-inch iPad Pro (current): 247.6 mm x 178.5 mm x 5.9 mm
  • 11-inch iPad Pro (new): 249.7 mm x 177.5 mm x 5.1 mm
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro (current): 280.6 mm x 214.9 mm x 6.4 mm
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro (new): 281.5 mm x 215.5 mm x 5.0 mm
  • 12.9-inch iPad Air (new): 280.6 mm x 214.9 mm x 6.0 mm
Notice that the 12.9" Air practically identical in size to the older Pros, and thus will likely be compatible with the existing Magic Keyboard. The 11" and 12.9" Pro both get new exterior dimensions (in all three axes), will almost certainly not be compatible with the old accessories. That means the new fancy aluminum Magic Keyboard doesn't sound like it will be backwards-compatible.

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
9to5Mac are reporting that iOS 17.5 beta 1 has reference to four unreleased iPads along with new display firmware for them. What they think are the 11” iPad Pro has references to both LG and Samsung displays while what they think is the 12.9” is LG only. This would tie in with with Ross Young’s comment that only Samsung were initially making the 11” panels.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I'm hearing there may be a Mini Pro coming...

If that does happen, and it has 120hz and larger memory it will sell like hot cakes...

Where are you hearing that? I deem that rather unlikely but would certainly be interested myself.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I mean, I love me some Max Tech, but yeah....I totally agree!

Yep. If they put the name "Pro" on it, it will have some expectations: FaceID, 120hz screen, Mx processor and larger than 256GB storage and at least 8GB RAM. All that, and with all the potential heat issues in such a small case? No way. Maybe more storage and a better processor, maybe 8GB RAM are the nost realistic expectations.

kjwamlex

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2016
Funny how there hasn't been a new iOS 17.5 beta last week... Hopefully it drops tomorrow and gives us a hint on when iOS 17.5 and new iPad Pro will release.

Reactions: slippery-pete

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Funny how there hasn't been a new iOS 17.5 beta last week... Hopefully it drops tomorrow and gives us a hint on when iOS 17.5 and new iPad Pro will release.
Wondering, any chance they announce tomorrow..pre order 4/19 for 5/3 delivery?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I say this as someone who loves to upgrade, even minor ones. I (stupidly) do it all the time.

But even I think...there's so much excitement about the new iPads, and then, when we actually get them...we will still do iPad things. A slightly better screen, a long-edge camera, a new keyboard and pencil...and they will still be iPads and we will use them no different than the current ones we have now, especially if you have a Mx version.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I say this as someone who loves to upgrade, even minor ones. I (stupidly) do it all the time.

But even I think...there's so much excitement about the new iPads, and then, when we actually get them...we will still do iPad things. A slightly better screen, a long-edge camera, a new keyboard and pencil...and they will still be iPads and we will use them no different than the current ones we have now, especially if you have a Mx version.

I completely agree, and to the detriment of my bank account, I can apply this to.. iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, GoPro, DJI Mavic Mini Pro… I could probably go on, but I risk then looking for new toys

Reactions: Rafterman and jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.