Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
In what universe is OLED inferior to mini-LED? OLED has better colour accuracy and true blacks, it's thinner and doesn't have the light bleeding problem of mini-LEDs where light from lit areas bleeds into dark areas. It's also more efficient than mini-LED
If you're referring to my comment that miniLED might drive me to get the Air over the Pro, my logic is that OLED over LCD might be worth paying the extra money but OLED over miniLED probably isn't. All else being equal, my first choice would definitely be OLED.

People still getting Mini-LED and MicroLED mixed up.

Current iPad Pro: Mini-LED
Current iPad Air: LCD
Next generation iPad Pro: OLED
Years in future iPad Pro: MicroLED

Basically order of display quality should be LCD then Mini-LED then OLED then MicroLED.

First post person talking about Air get MircoLED and iPad Pro OLED, not going to happen.

2nd person quote 1st person and bragging about iPad Air getting Mini-LED and 1st person never mentioned Mini-LED.

3rd person quoting 2nd person saying how OLED is inferior than Mini-LED?

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yeah that's my bad, I still get confused between mini and micro.

O Oracle of MacRumors, prithee stop not there! Speak your clairvoyance further! Will it have 60Hz or 120Hz?
Well, if I have indeed been blessed with the gift of prophecy, then I do hereby declare that the 2024 iPad Air will have an M3 chip, a 120Hz display and a landscape camera. And that's definitely not a wishcast :p

Reactions: pdoherty

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Sounds like now the question is going to be whether people want Mini-LED or OLED. Personally I always saw Mini-LED as a technology to avoid given the blooming issue. I don't think it would bother most people but I sometimes watch movies in the dark on my iPad and in general am sort of particular about things.
Look at all of this blooming! Man, I tell you... it's crazy the things we have to put up with in the first world...

1A4B031E-14F3-4F72-9B76-15DCD9B24E15.jpeg

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Look at all of this blooming! Man, I tell you... it's crazy the things we have to put up with in the first world...

View attachment 2370200

You can find any image you want to support an argument for or against blooming being a real problem. Yes, blooming is least noticeable in a bright room. But ultimately, it just depends on the person using the iPad and their perception and use cases.

For me, the difference in screen technologies are very noticeable, and I use my devices in dim or very dark rooms very often. When I had the mini-LED Pro, I noticed blooming everyday.

There were some pretty atrocious examples to me at times, like watching an HDR movie where it was a dark scene and certain bright sources of lights in that scene looked like they had a fog around them that followed them around the screen that made it hard to see what was happening.

Mini-LED was an improvement over LCD to me, but still disappointing compared to OLED. I’ve been dreaming for those inky blacks and that individual pixel backlighting since the 2017 iPad Pro that was marketed as supporting HDR. Once I had that iPad and saw that blacks still looked gray (I didn’t understand screen technologies yet), OLED became my most desired hardware feature.

Reactions: max2

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
The picture isn't from a bright room.

And, if OLED is so great and better than miniLED, why did Sony go with miniLED and ditch OLED in their 2024 flagship TVs?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

And, if OLED is so great and better than miniLED, why did Sony go with miniLED and ditch OLED in their 2024 flagship TVs?

I'm guessing burn-in. Tablets, like phones, aren't really a problem to worry about. But in TVs, where they are on for many people 24 hours a day, burn-in with TVs is a real thing.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Yes, burn in is still a problem with OLED, but I think the main point he makes is that the miniLED can go much brighter and can do 4,000 nits in small areas and sustained 1,000 nits on the whole screen, which OLED cannot.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Yes, burn in is still a problem with OLED, but I think the main point he makes is that the miniLED can go much brighter and can do 4,000 nits in small areas and sustained 1,000 nits on the whole screen, which OLED cannot.
Wow, I didn't know that. I was looking forward to the the rumored iPad OLED to be brighter in sunlight (in shade) than my M1 iPad Pro.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013

The room is well lit. Blooming is mostly a problem in dim or dark rooms.

I don't know why you're turning this into an argument. I said in my post that it depends on the person using the iPad, their use cases, and their perception. If you love mini-LED for whatever reason (don't notice blooming, prefer the brightest displays, don't care about screen responsiveness, or are concerned about burn-in), then that's great! It sounds like the iPad Air 12.9" will be coming with mini-LED, so at least you will have that option.

I was just making the point of why I'm so excited for OLED iPads and why I prefer it over mini-LED. Also, Sony going with mini-LED for a TV does not mean that suddenly blooming is fixed on iPads for those that notice it.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
OLED seems to have superior viewing angle, so it would be ideal for tablets. TVs maybe not so much. IPS is good, but there's some brightness shift that I can detect, having owned a few mini-led iPads, and several Galaxy Tabs. This type of shift used to be really bad before IPS, but it still exists for those, albeit very slight.

Going by this, I will take the OLED regardless of any other shortcomings (like potential burn-in, which IS an issue). Also, OLED's lesser brightness isn't really an Issue if it's around 500nits. Doesn't matter. The Galaxy Tab screens are very good, and these new Apple ones are probably better. We shall see.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Wow, I didn't know that. I was looking forward to the the rumored iPad OLED to be brighter in sunlight (in shade) than my M1 iPad Pro.

The current iPads have 500 nits normal brightness, and I do not believe it increases in the sun. Only when its displaying HDR content, does it increase up to 1500 nits.

Reactions: jazz1

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Should we just freeze ourselves until the morning of May 6th to pass the time and order our iPads then? The wait is killing me. I'm thinking I should cryogenically freeze myself until the iPad Pro comes out and hope that I don't get buried by an avalanche and wake up in the far future

Yeah, Cartman tried that once. Didn't work out so well.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Got tired of waiting. Ordered a tab s9 11” as my media machine. I got it on sale for $608 USD. Not a bad deal. It’s got OLED and the aspect ratio is great for videos.

Also as bonus it comes with a S-Pen and its IP-68 rated and has a micro-SD slot. Doubt Apple will include those features. I will report my findings in the alternatives to iOS forum after a month.

To those waiting, it’s almost May and keep on the fighting the fight I couldn’t.
It is great for that, but sadly I ended up returning mine even though I too got a great deal. I really liked the hardware, but found that I am just too dependent on or spoiled by the Apple ecosystem. Was frustrated that my bookmarks/passwords/messaging etc. were not synced easily. Would have had to repurchase apps and many of the apps were just not as good or needed special tweaks to work well.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It is great for that, but sadly I ended up returning mine even though I too got a great deal. I really liked the hardware, but found that I am just too dependent on or spoiled by the Apple ecosystem. Was frustrated that my bookmarks/passwords/messaging etc. were not synced easily. Would have had to repurchase apps and many of the apps were just not as good or needed special tweaks to work well.

Yes, the Samsung hardware is excellent. But unlike the phone Android, tablet Android is not supported very well by app developers.

Reactions: schneeland and max2

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Gurman says in Bloomberg this morning:

Retail iPad availability dwindles ahead of May revamp. …. Now we’re getting more clues that the rollout is imminent. When Apple is getting ready to launch new models, it typically pares back shipments of the current lineup — and that’s exactly what we’re seeing happen. Sources at multiple retail stores say that inventory of several iPad Air models has started to dwindle.

We haven’t yet seen that happen with the iPad Pro, which is still well-stocked. That could mean Apple just has a lot of inventory to work through (a likely scenario) or the company plans to keep the current model around even after it debuts the new one. That second scenario could be a challenge from a marketing standpoint: Who wants the older, lower-end version of what’s supposed to be a high-end iPad? But it could make sense if the new model has a big price increase.

On the one hand I like hearing “imminent,” but the lack of dwindling Pro stock is a concern. If they release Airs before Pros I’ll burst.

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
If they do release the Airs before the Pros, that may complicate my personal decision about which to get. My ability to access either an address or an Apple Store starts to dwindle in June and I won’t have anything reliable until possibly 2 weeks in July, then the next opportunity would be October. Sigh!

cpatrick08

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2016
Gurman says in Bloomberg this morning:

On the one hand I like hearing “imminent,” but the lack of dwindling Pro stock is a concern. If they release Airs before Pros I’ll burst.
It could be they have more stock of m2 pros than m1 airs.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Yes, the Samsung hardware is excellent. But unlike the phone Android, tablet Android is not supported very well by app developers.

Google has been making their stock apps more tablet friendly and started last year with the revival of Android for tablets. Hopefully, Google brings more tablet features for developers in Google I/O this year. Competition is good for Apple and consumers.

The media apps are supported on Android pretty well. A lot more open source apps like Dolphin and 3DS emulators also exist. F-Droid has good manga/comic book apps as well.

I am not a creative/artist, I know the iPad has lot of apps like Procreate and Resolve but thankfully those are not my needs.

Last edited:

cpatrick08

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2016
Google has been making their stock apps more tablet friendly and started last year with the revival of Android for tablets. Hopefully, Google brings more tablet features for developers in Google I/O this year. Competition is good for Apple and consumers.

The media apps are supported on Android pretty well. A lot more open source apps like Dolphin and 3DS emulators also exist. F-Droid has good manga/comic book apps as well.

I am not a creative/artist, I know the iPad has lot of apps like Procreate and Resolve but thankfully those are not my needs.
Also I believe Google features apps more that support more devices and screen sizes.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Yes, the Big Boys do support Android tablets pretty well - Google, Microsoft, etc. But the lower tier app makers, not nearly as much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.