Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Got tired of waiting. Ordered a tab s9 11” as my media machine. I got it on sale for $608 USD. Not a bad deal. It’s got OLED and the aspect ratio is great for videos.

Also as bonus it comes with a S-Pen and its IP-68 rated and has a micro-SD slot. Doubt Apple will include those features. I will report my findings in the alternatives to iOS forum after a month.

To those waiting, it’s almost May and keep on the fighting the fight I couldn’t.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Got tired of waiting. Ordered a tab s9 11” as my media machine. I got it on sale for $608 USD. Not a bad deal. It’s got OLED and the aspect ratio is great for videos.

Also as bonus it comes with a S-Pen and its IP-68 rated and has a micro-SD slot. Doubt Apple will include those features. I will report my findings in the alternatives to iOS forum after a month.

To those waiting, it’s almost May and keep on the fighting the fight I couldn’t.

Samsung tablets are good devices (though few posting at MacRumors will admit it). But I am already a Mac and iPhone user, and I prefer to keep it in the family, so iPad for me.

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
I keep trying to tell myself to be patient. It’s downright hard!

Not happy at the timing, I’m going to be out where I won’t have an address or ready availability to an Apple store for the first 2 weeks of May. I don’t suppose UPS would deliver to a grid coordinate, would they?

• Love
Reactions: jazz1

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
To be fair, no one has any idea what Apple has planned, it's all pie in the sky until the event/announcement

So I could be right, and I could be wrong......but I bet everyone of you watched it though 😘😏
Unfortunately it’s looking like Gurman is actually right this time, we are only just over halfway through April and there are still no sign of these tablets.

Not many seem to talk about how the goalposts also quietly went from needing a special version from iPad OS 17.4 for the new iPads, to 17.5 . To me that was the death knell of April being remotely possible.

Understand there are challenges with manufacturing OLED displays for the Pro - but why does the Air need to be held up as well?

Dopestdude2

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2022
To be fair, no one has any idea what Apple has planned, it's all pie in the sky until the event/announcement

So I could be right, and I could be wrong......but I bet everyone of you watched it though 😘😏
Didn’t watch a second of the video since I saw what your “source” was.

But ultimately, you’re gonna be wrong.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
That’s fair. I’m pretty platform agnostic so I can try these sorts of devices.

I own quite a few Android apps, and I rocked a Galaxy Folds for a while. Back in the day, the Note too. Switched between iPhone and Galaxy., I loved the Fold, but like I said - Mac user already, so I went back to iPhone 15 Pro Plus.

But I can basically duplicate my iPhone experience on any Android. But I do like the Apple ecosystem. I've been doing PDAs and smartphones since the late 90s - Palmpilots. WinCE, PocketPC, Android, iOS - used them all.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Understand there are challenges with manufacturing OLED displays for the Pro - but why does the Air need to be held up as well?

I don't know, of course. But perhaps there's a concern if the new Airs come out, someone may buy a 12.9" without waiting to see if the new features of the 12.9" pro might be worth it? I'm someone planning to get a 12.9" Air, but there's a slight chance if the new 12.9" pro came with some unexpected feature (such as a screen that allowed a more paper-like experience) I would consider it instead.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Cardiology103

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2024
I'm someone planning to get a 12.9" Air, but there's a slight chance if the new 12.9" pro came with some unexpected feature (such as a screen that allowed a more paper-like experience) I would consider it instead.
I'm in the same position: 12.9" Air or Pro. (12.9" for the full page of sheet music.) I have a paper-like screen protector on my iPad Mini, but probably not good for the loveliness of OLED - if a matte screen is an option.

Reactions: RickTaylor

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I'm in the same position: 12.9" Air or Pro. (12.9" for the full page of sheet music.) I have a paper-like screen protector on my iPad Mini, but probably not good for the loveliness of OLED - if a matte screen is an option.

The killer feature for me that would mke me upgrade my Pro is if the rear charging port also supports data, with the new keyboards.

Reactions: jazz1 and muzzy996

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
I’m 95% certain it’s a 12.9 Air for me. As stated above, unless there’s some killer new feature coming that we don’t know about….
I love my 10.9 Air, but I want a bigger version. Which is why I’m frustrated that I have to wait for an iPad to be ready that I don’t want (I think… lol)

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Sounds like now the question is going to be whether people want Mini-LED or OLED. Personally I always saw Mini-LED as a technology to avoid given the blooming issue. I don't think it would bother most people but I sometimes watch movies in the dark on my iPad and in general am sort of particular about things.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Sounds like now the question is going to be whether people want Mini-LED or OLED. Personally I always saw Mini-LED as a technology to avoid given the blooming issue. I don't think it would bother most people but I sometimes watch movies in the dark on my iPad and in general am sort of particular about things.
I assume the 12.9in Air will still be 60hz in order to differentiate the iPads. Big shame... Maybe the pricing won't be that different anyway, and the upsell to the 12.9in Pro model will be 'easy' to justify for us keen beans on this forum.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
If the 13-inch Pro has inferior OLED tech and the 13-inch Air has MicroLED, that may drive me to get the Air. Y'all might say it's unlikely, but I can't help but think that Apple will do that in order to avoid the hassle of ordering new displays, by just reusing the display tech of the M2 Pros for the new Airs.

Hate to brag, but I called it.

Marswarrior462

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada

In what universe is OLED inferior to mini-LED? OLED has better colour accuracy and true blacks, it's thinner and doesn't have the light bleeding problem of mini-LEDs where light from lit areas bleeds into dark areas. It's also more efficient than mini-LED

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
In what universe is OLED inferior to mini-LED? OLED has better colour accuracy and true blacks, it's thinner and doesn't have the light bleeding problem of mini-LEDs where light from lit areas bleeds into dark areas. It's also more efficient than mini-LED
I'm hoping the new screen will in fact be superior to my iPad Pro M1 12.9". These old eyes can use every boost they can get! ;)

Yet, I'm slightly skeptical that my eyes will be able to discern the difference. Will this upgraded screen be apparent to most people?

Reactions: iPadified

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
If the 13-inch Pro has inferior OLED tech and the 13-inch Air has MicroLED, that may drive me to get the Air. Y'all might say it's unlikely, but I can't help but think that Apple will do that in order to avoid the hassle of ordering new displays, by just reusing the display tech of the M2 Pros for the new Airs.

People still getting Mini-LED and MicroLED mixed up.

Current iPad Pro: Mini-LED
Current iPad Air: LCD
Next generation iPad Pro: OLED
Years in future iPad Pro: MicroLED

Basically order of display quality should be LCD then Mini-LED then OLED then MicroLED.

First post person talking about Air get MircoLED and iPad Pro OLED, not going to happen.

2nd person quote 1st person and bragging about iPad Air getting Mini-LED and 1st person never mentioned Mini-LED.

3rd person quoting 2nd person saying how OLED is inferior than Mini-LED?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017

O Oracle of MacRumors, prithee stop not there! Speak your clairvoyance further! Will it have 60Hz or 120Hz?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'm bored. Are the new iPads out yet?
Every morning I wake up and check my iPhone for news of the release of the rumored/mythical iPad Pro! My motivation to buy one wanes as each morning as I'm disappointed that there is no release. Then the rumor mill gets me excited all over again to acquire one! 🙀 Has there ever been this much lead time between the rumors and the actual release of an Apple device??? Then again I really worry about the complete cost of the iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard. Is there going to be a huge price hike over my M1 iPad Pro? Poor pitiful me! :p

Reactions: JimmycozSTL

kinghenry

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
If the launch is going to be the week of May 6th (per Gurman), then it seems plausible we will get an announcement next week or the week after . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.