Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3JL

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2016
It’s wild how back and forth every single rumor about this iPad launch has been.

I am really excited about a possible matte display option if that indeed results in a more paper-like experience with the pencil. Did that get any confirmation/debunking recently?

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
So for those getting iPad when it’s announced what model you getting?

I will need to see what is announced.

I have had a 12.9 Pro (A12Z)for last 3+ years and loved it, until I sold it last month in preparation for the new models, and then picked up an 11 Pro (M1) and find it feels very natural and comfortable to use.

I may end up ordering an 11 and 12.9/13 and try them both for a couple of weeks and see which size I now prefer.

Then there is the potential ‘Gloss vs. Matte’

Whatever the final option, it will be Cellular and 256GB for me

Reactions: The Game 161

Marswarrior462

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
My last iPad Pro was a space grey 12.9" Wi-Fi only 2020 model with 512GB, the first gen Magic Keyboard and Apple pencil 2, which I all gave to my sister in September, and 512GB wasn't enough storage for me. Also, the only reason why I didn't get cellular last time was because of COVID. This time I'm getting the 13" model with 2TB cellular model with the matte display option, Magic Keyboard, and Apple Pencil 3

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
If iPad OS at WWDC has some surprises in store i will probably get the 12.9in base storage verison, conditional on prices not rising. European pricing is already brutal and any price rise should be offset by recent exchange rate changes. Otherwise my 2018 Pro does everything these new iPads can do.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
If I do upgrade, no clue, I need to see prices and features. Plus, the new keyboard and pencil will factor in. But there is so much unknown.

I currently have a 12.9 M2 2TB cellular. I am willing to "upgrade" (I love tech, so I have no qualms with a minimal upgrade). But I really need to know what we are getting. I have had both 11 and 12.9 in the past, and I could go both ways, but the price will be a big factor this year. I wouldn't pay for a 12.9 M3 if I could get a MacBook Pro for a similar price, eg $3000+ with keyboard. Since the screen tech should be the same, the only real decision will probably be size - handheld 11 vs laptop-like 12.9.

My gut reaction is to stay put, I have far more iPad than I will need for a long time. But...we'll see.

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2022
My last iPad Pro was a space grey 12.9" Wi-Fi only 2020 model with 512GB, the first gen Magic Keyboard and Apple pencil 2, which I all gave to my sister in September, and 512GB wasn't enough storage for me. Also, the only reason why I didn't get cellular last time was because of COVID. This time I'm getting the 13" model with 2TB cellular model with the matte display option, Magic Keyboard, and Apple Pencil 3
Out of interest what do you use it for to use that much space? I’ve just got the 128gb version, which is an upgrade on the 64gb Air that it replaced - and that still had 6gb free. My phone is a different story but my photos on the iPad are set to optimise storage so don’t take up much space.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011

I have had 256GB in all of my iPad Pro’s. I can’t justify the cost of increasing the onboard storage when a 2TB iCloud plan and a couple of 1TB Samsung T7 SSD’s work out a lot cheaper and overall provide more storage and versatility in usilisation of storage.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I echo @mtngal thoughts... 13 inch cellular (pro) and I await to see what Apple announce to see what configuration it will be.

What about you? I know you was planning on getting that Vision Pro... is that still on the roadmap?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I echo @mtngal thoughts... 13 inch cellular (pro) and I await to see what Apple announce to see what configuration it will be.

What about you? I know you was planning on getting that Vision Pro... is that still on the roadmap?
I owe you a bit of an apology, good sir. I have repeatedly lambasted Stage Manager, but I wanted a way to have Notability with half the screen, omnifocus with a quarter of the screen, and music with another quarter of the screen.

I, with a sigh, took your advice and simply used it as it is--without preconceived notions.

Once I look past the wasted space and the fact that window handles can be finicky, it does really work. Is there an easy way to go full screen for an app but then return to the Stage Manager view exactly as it was before for the other apps?

Edited to add: Never mind, it was much easier than I thought. It just works. The one app is full screen, and when I open an app that is using Stage Manager, it just returns to Stage Manager. Not bad...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I owe you a bit of an apology, good sir. I have repeatedly lambasted Stage Manager, but I wanted a way to have Notability with half the screen, omnifocus with a quarter of the screen, and music with another quarter of the screen.
It’s no problem at all… heck, I’m glad I can be of some help.

Once I look past the wasted space and the fact that window handles can be finicky, it does really work. Is there an easy way to go full screen for an app but then return to the Stage Manager view exactly as it was before for the other apps?
I try and utilize shortcuts as much as possible… Globe+F to go into Full Screen and moving apps to the external monitor with Globe+CTRL+\. I tend to display multiple apps on the external display since it’s a bigger screen compared to the iPad.

And then being able to add apps (windows) onto an active Stage using Shift+click eliminates dragging… I use it when launching spotlight, App Library and Recent Apps (left windows).

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Hate to brag, but I called it.

you were saying? lol

Webcat86

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2022

I, with a sigh, took your advice and simply used it as it is--without preconceived notions.

Edited to add: Never mind, it was much easier than I thought. It just works. The one app is full screen, and when I open an app that is using Stage Manager, it just returns to Stage Manager. Not bad...
When Stage Manager came out I didn't have an iPad that supported it and I read a lot of underwhelming reviews, so I thought nothing of it. When I got a new iPad last week I saw it in the settings and thought I'd try it — I've been blown away. It's exactly the feature that I've wanted, and lack of it stopped me being able to use the iPad as much as I would have wanted to because it felt like "big iPhone" rather than "powerful tablet." It's been a real breath of fresh air, especially being able to resize and move them anywhere

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.