Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I echo @mtngal thoughts... 13 inch cellular (pro) and I await to see what Apple announce to see what configuration it will be.

What about you? I know you was planning on getting that Vision Pro... is that still on the roadmap?

Still in two minds to get the 11 inch or 13 inch to be honest. I use my 12.9 for a lot of media but not sure if I just want a more comfortable device to hold

11 inch ticks a lot of boxes and media content wise I don’t think you get much difference due to the black bars.

Also having a 16 inch MacBook Pro I find having the bigger screen isn’t as important

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
I’m thinking an 11”. One due to cost and two I just know I will be more happy with the size I think. Ugh. I’m torn. I only use at home and on planes lol just for media and I have a work laptop

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
if you're confident that it won't get damaged, buy both and return the one that isn't used as much after 2 weeks

Considering rumored prices, I don't know if iPad stock will be an issue. They usually weren't in the past. 11s could be a little tighter though, per rumors.

Reactions: ericwn

Cardiology103

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2024
I want an Air 12.9" with 128gb - mostly intended for reading actual-size sheet music - and - roominess for a split screen to concurrently open Apple Notes with Safari/Microsoft Outlook/etc. I have an iPad Mini - terrific for Notes (pencil) and surfing.

Reactions: mr_jomo

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I owe you a bit of an apology, good sir. I have repeatedly lambasted Stage Manager, but I wanted a way to have Notability with half the screen, omnifocus with a quarter of the screen, and music with another quarter of the screen.

I, with a sigh, took your advice and simply used it as it is--without preconceived notions.

Once I look past the wasted space and the fact that window handles can be finicky, it does really work. Is there an easy way to go full screen for an app but then return to the Stage Manager view exactly as it was before for the other apps?

Edited to add: Never mind, it was much easier than I thought. It just works. The one app is full screen, and when I open an app that is using Stage Manager, it just returns to Stage Manager. Not bad...
I'm intrigued by this comment just because I was originally the same way about stage manager on the iMac, on which I would always insist on using apps in full screen, which, granted, is a great experience on the big screen, but on things like Word or Teams is a bit of a waste of space. I tried using stage manager once but it made it lose memory pretty quickly, and I hadn't figured out that different views weren't limited to windows of each different app, and you could just move windows from one view to another.

Once I'd figured it out, I found that it worked great. The memory issue appeared to be just a one-time thing, and it was a great way of multitasking. I'm kind of in the same mind about wasted space, and I find the whole asymmetry of the windows a bit unsatisfying, but the big advantage of it is that you can have about ten windows open at once, and if you lay them out very strategically, it's very easy to just switch between them by just having a small side or corner of each window visible at all times. I've had big work tasks which that kind of approach has been extremely useful for.

I'm curious to see what stage manager will be like on a 13-inch iPad. I don't imagine it will be as good for productivity purposes considering the screen is a third of the size, but the big advantages of the iPad are optimising the apps for size (e.g. using iPhone layouts for smaller windows) and being able to have full-screen windows as their own views.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Webcat86

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2022
I'm intrigued by this comment just because I was originally the same way about stage manager on the iMac, on which I would always insist on using apps in full screen, which, granted, is a great experience on the big screen, but on things like Word or Teams is a bit of a waste of space. I tried using stage manager once but it made it lose memory pretty quickly, and I hadn't figured out that different views weren't limited to windows of each different app, and you could just move windows from one view to another.

Once I'd figured it out, I found that it worked great. The memory issue appeared to be just a one-time thing, and it was a great way of multitasking. I'm kind of in the same mind about wasted space, and I find the whole asymmetry of the windows a bit unsatisfying, but the big advantage of it is that you can have about ten windows open at once, and if you lay them out very strategically, it's very easy to just switch between them by just having a small side or corner of each window visible at all times. I've had big work tasks which that kind of approach has been extremely useful for.

I'm curious to see what stage manager will be like on a 13-inch iPad. I don't imagine it will be as good for productivity purposes considering the screen is a third of the size, but the big advantages of the iPad are optimising the apps for size (e.g. using iPhone layouts for smaller windows) and being able to have full-screen windows as their own views.

I'm the opposite to this — admittedly I haven't used it on my iMac, but what function does it serve on a Mac? I have 3 desktop windows open and have my app windows different sizes and stacked just like Macs have allowed for a very long time.

To me, Stage Manager allows an iPad to mimic this desktop functionality. What purpose does SM have on an actual computer?

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I'm the opposite to this — admittedly I haven't used it on my iMac, but what function does it serve on a Mac? I have 3 desktop windows open and have my app windows different sizes and stacked just like Macs have allowed for a very long time.

To me, Stage Manager allows an iPad to mimic this desktop functionality. What purpose does SM have on an actual computer?
I would have thought so too if I hadn't used stage manager to be fair. But as of seeing this I had sixteen open app windows on my computer, two of them are in full screen and the others are split between eleven stage manager views across two desktops (one for work, one for leisure), and I just think stage manager streamlines the multitasking experience. Clicking between views on the left-hand side is just so much easier than flicking between a whole bunch of desktops, or having too many windows clogging up one.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The purpose that it serves on the Mac is to help with window management... hence "Stage Manager," Federighi once brought up an example to where a family member had windows all chaotic on their screen. And he characterizes it as a way to help with organizing the desktop.

Well, Stage Manager for the iPad allows for more versatility such as being able to resize windows and have more than 2 apps active on screen.

Whereas on the Mac, resizing windows and having multiple apps active on screen already exist... Stage Manager is more so for organization.

Webcat86

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2022
I would have thought so too if I hadn't used stage manager to be fair. But as of seeing this I had sixteen open app windows on my computer, two of them are in full screen and the others are split between eleven stage manager views across two desktops (one for work, one for leisure), and I just think stage manager streamlines the multitasking experience. Clicking between views on the left-hand side is just so much easier than flicking between a whole bunch of desktops, or having too many windows clogging up one.

The purpose that it serves on the Mac is to help with window management... hence "Stage Manager," Federighi once brought up an example to where a family member had windows all chaotic on their screen. And he characterizes it as a way to help with organizing the desktop.

Well, Stage Manager for the iPad allows for more versatility such as being able to resize windows and have more than 2 apps active on screen.

Whereas on the Mac, resizing windows and having multiple apps active on screen already exist... Stage Manager is more so for organization.

So am I reading it right that with SM on the Mac, you're grouping apps and windows together for more focus — like Safari tab groups but multi-app?

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
So am I reading it right that with SM on the Mac, you're grouping apps and windows together for more focus — like Safari tab groups but multi-app?
Kinda. Most of my views on stage manager will have just one window on it, and I'll have several in one view if they all relate to a single task. I don't use tab groups on Safari personally, so I don't know how apt the comparison is.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024

IMO stage manager is very clunky on desktops with more than 1 monitor.

Reactions: jazz1

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Are there any guesses as to whether the M1/M2 11" ipad pro folio cases will fit the new 11" ipad pro?

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Probably not. The dimensions for the M3 models are different from the previous models. They are slightly bigger and a lot thinner than their predecessors
Thanks for the reply. I had heard that the new ipad pro would be about 1mm wider in each direction, and a little thinner, but I was hoping that wouldn't be a big deal for a folio case. I know for most other cases it will matter.

You are probably right though. :confused:

kinghenry

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
As it relates to the question of whether to get the 11" vs 13", do folks have thoughts on if the keyboard size should influence your decision? My understanding is that the 13" has a "full-size" magic keyboard, but they have to shrink the one for the 11". I don't know if that gets annoying if you're frequently shifting from being on your laptop (in my case a 15" macbook air) and the smaller 11" iPad magic keyboard.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Anyone think they will use titanium to make it stronger since it’s becoming thinner?
Definitely not for the entire casing. Titanium is a lot heavier than aluminium, and I imagine quite a bit more expensive. Most I'd expect is for them to put it around the sides like they do with the iPhone for bending protection, but even that seems a bit far-fetched for a device this size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.