Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
To he honest, I don't think there's really going to be that much difference in the number problems compared to previous .0 versions of macOS / OS X, at least based on my experience of 10.13. Yes, there will be problems, but there are always problems with such new releases.

The smart ones wanting to avoid significant problems should be waiting until 10.13.3 or whatever.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm usually not this excited for releases but I was hoping to start the upgrades before I left home for work so that my Mac's would all be updated when I got home.

I'm in mountain time so I guess it will drop around 11am here.

Calling in sick to work to be home for the drop....j/k...but I'd almost do it :)

Edit: Is it available in Europe or Asia now? I forgot that that my VPN provider has hosts worldwide . :)

Last edited:

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Not sure what you mean by "has debug code in it", but as far as the "beta" stuff goes, they can push an OTA update to "About This Mac" so that it just doesn't say "beta" anymore if this ends up being the public release build. They did it last year with Sierra.

It's definitely still a beta. There are a few bugs here and there, but what's more concerning to me is that it is slower than Sierra on my brand new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. I have also noticed Siri has not been upgraded to the newer natural voice. I'm not sure if this is a switch they flick on the back end or if they will push another update to fix this. But this does have me a bit concerned though.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I think they do it at 10am Pacific so all of the tech staff in Cupertino supporting their cloud/distribution network have at least had one or two coffees before things get scary. :) You don't want these guys caffeine deprived if they're working on fixing things.

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Well I still can’t use my external USB-C monitor on my 2017 13”TB so they better fix that today. Driving me nuts!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Well I still can’t use my external USB-C monitor on my 2017 13”TB so they better fix that today. Driving me nuts!
Note that the 2017 iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro changes something with USB-C, since some peripherals that were compatible with the 2015/2016 models are not compatible with the 2017.

AFAIK, this does not change with the High Sierra GM. It may be more a hardware issue.

Which monitor? Your monitor may fall into this affected category. Were you using it before with an older USB-C Mac?

PSA: If the description of a USB-C device doesn't explicitly say it is compatible with the 2017 Kaby Lake Macs, then there is a significant chance it isn't compatible, even if it compatible with older USB-C Macs.

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001
I'm a little excited for this release. Curious about the new file system. Like to explore. There are few things here and there on the current release that I'm hoping get resolved. A good update is always welcomed. 8:08 AM here now and I am guessing it will release around 10:00 AM. I should make a backup of the installer to a thumb drive in case I want to do a clean install. Any advice on that front?

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I'm a little excited for this release. Curious about the new file system. Like to explore. There are few things here and there on the current release that I'm hoping get resolved. A good update is always welcomed. 8:08 AM here now and I am guessing it will release around 10:00 AM. I should make a backup of the installer to a thumb drive in case I want to do a clean install. Any advice on that front?

Unless Apple states it's the final GM don't bother.
I would also perform a clean install when Apple releases it on AppStore.

I pray a new GM candidate - or maybe even the final one - comes out today and fixes things. Personally I dislike this OS and if there is no other release I will roll back my HW to Sierra and wait for .1 to come out.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Clean install vs upgrade is almost a religious debate. There are advocates on both sides. Do whatever you're happy with.
If your boot drive is SSD and you don't want to convert it to APFS, then you need to create a USB installer and launch the install using the command line parameter to not convert the file system.

If anyone wants to debate clean install vs upgrade, there is (of course) a thread for that: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/clean-installation-or-upgrade.2071279/

...heh...as there is every time we have a MacOS release. :)

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Unless Apple states it's the final GM don't bother.
I would also perform a clean install when Apple releases it on AppStore.

I pray a new GM candidate - or maybe even the final one - comes out today and fixes things. Personally I dislike this OS and if there is no other release I will roll back my HW to Sierra and wait for .1 to come out.
Today is the official release. At this point the GM Candidate discussion is effectively moot.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
To he honest, I don't think there's really going to be that much difference in the number problems compared to previous .0 versions of macOS / OS X, at least based on my experience of 10.13. Yes, there will be problems, but there are always problems with such new releases.

The smart ones wanting to avoid significant problems should be waiting until 10.13.3 or whatever.

We'll see. I have a feeling these forums will start lighting up like never before with problem reports once HS starts getting installed to the wider audience

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
We'll see. I have a feeling these forums will start lighting up like never before with problem reports once HS starts getting installed to the wider audience
As much as items are tested in the beta programs, you can't get all of the "corner cases" that releasing to production inherently finds....you certainly try, but it's just not possible. Me, I'm wondering what anomalies in configurations are going to cause APFS issues. Hopefully we don't see anyone lose their data. (doesn't matter how much you preach about backups...)

Infernos

macrumors member
The first public beta was a nightmare for me. Random crashes, kernel panics, apps refusing to launch. Basically it made my MB Air unusable to the point where I couldn't even file bug reports. I went back to Sierra for a while until Beta 4 came out and then everything was fine. I've had no issues with any of the beta beyond beta 2. As for install over, or install fresh, it's really whatever works for you. I usually install over and then ever 3 years do a fresh install. Usually enough of my apps have been upgraded by then that it's worth the day or so it takes to do it. It also gives me a good excuse to do major housekeeping and clean up a bunch of crap I no longer need. Your mileage may vary.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
They always light up with problem reports.

Anyhow, it works fine for me. I currently have the GM installed on 3 different Mac laptops full time, and two of them don't even officially support HS. My 2017 MacBook is AFPS, and the two non-supported ones (a 2008 MacBook and a 2009 MacBook Pro) are HFS+. I also have it installed on an external drive and tested on my two iMacs, one a 2010 and one a 2017, and it also works fine on those.

So, in my case it works just fine with all of these five machines. If anything, I've had way less problems with High Sierra than I did with an older OS, I believe Lion. I have no Fusion drives in any of my machines, but that's a moot point, because the release version won't allow APFS to be used on Fusion drives anyway.
[doublepost=1506355138][/doublepost]
The first public beta was a nightmare for me. Random crashes, kernel panics, apps refusing to launch. Basically it made my MB Air unusable to the point where I couldn't even file bug reports. I went back to Sierra for a while until Beta 4 came out and then everything was fine. I've had no issues with any of the beta beyond beta 2. As for install over, or install fresh, it's really whatever works for you. I usually install over and then ever 3 years do a fresh install. Usually enough of my apps have been upgraded by then that it's worth the day or so it takes to do it. It also gives me a good excuse to do major housekeeping and clean up a bunch of crap I no longer need. Your mileage may vary.
Yes, the first public beta sucked. Beta 2 also sucked. But after about beta 4 or so it's been OK, and the GM (Candidate) is pretty solid IMO.

Last edited:

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
So, in my case it works just fine with all of these five machines. .

So question for you then: the two issues that jumped out at me right off with the GM (besides other things) was slower boot times and a shitton more space taken up by HS GM.

Did you take stock of how much space (before and after upgrade) HS used - at least on your systems with SSD's?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So question for you then: the two issues that jumped out at me right off with the GM (besides other things) was slower boot times and a shitton more space taken up by HS GM.

Did you take stock of how much space (before and after) HS used - at least on your systems with SSD's?
Boot time? If it's any different, it's not by an amount I care about, since I usually only reboot maybe once or twice a week or so and it's still fast.

As for space, for my MacBook with a clean install it was similar. For my 2017 iMac I dunno, but on my upgraded HFS+ drive it wasn't 17 GB more. I will have to see about APFS, but luckily it has a 1 TB SSD.

If those are your two main issues, then I'd say that's pretty decent actually. 17 GB more does seem excessive, but I suspect that's related to more than just the OS install, and if it's working fine, I personally wouldn't consider this a major issue.

I'm more concerned about HS crashing or causing hardware or software compatibilities, or stuff of that nature.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta

I think now with these 'forced' yearly OS updates Apple is shoving down their engineers' throats, that's true more than ever. This release in particular is a damn huge one (under the hood) and I really wished they had told their team to only release it once it's rock solid ... and maybe do an update or two to Sierra while we were waiting for High Sierra.
[doublepost=1506357359][/doublepost]
Boot time? If it's any different, it's not by an amount I care about, since I usually only reboot maybe once or twice a week or so and it's still fast.

Yep, like the religious debate about clean install vs. upgrade, there's the same one about sleep vs. shut down. I'm a shut down guy. Always will be. I can't help it :)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think now with these 'forced' yearly OS updates Apple is shoving down their engineers' throats, that's true more than ever. This release in particular is a damn huge one (under the hood) and I really wished they had told their team to only release it once it's rock solid ... and maybe do and update or two to Sierra while we were waiting for High Sierra.
They can't. IMO, unlike previous years, they MUST release High Sierra asap, because it is absolutely required to make use of HEVC and HEIF, two formats that are being spit out by millions of iPhones and iPads right now.

But as mentioned, luckily it seems overall to be working pretty decently. Your two issues of more disk space usage and longer boot times are not significant enough to warrant delaying a release. These can be addressed with point updates.

The biggest issue is APFS on Fusion, but High Sierra works just fine on Fusion drives with HFS+, and APFS on Fusion will be addressed later.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
We're happy to report that we are seeing HS roll-out across CDNs! Should be available any moment now!

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
They can't. IMO, unlike previous years, they MUST release High Sierra asap, because it is absolutely required to make use of HEVC and HEIF, two formats that are being spit out by millions of iPhones and iPads right now.

Well, in theory, they could have just added those formats to Sierra. But I digress ...
[doublepost=1506357713][/doublepost]
We're happy to report that we are seeing HS roll-out across CDNs! Should be available any moment now!

Cue the sarcastic slow clap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.