Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I think apps will be the "killer app", which ones are you hoping for, planning on using?

Personally, I want a real time stock ticker, it'll make my Pebble redundant.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
As an owner of a former Pebble (relinquished to my daughter), I miss being able to quickly change tracks on my wrist, as well as just get notifications on who texted or emailed me. I'm sure there will be cool apps and games, but as a frequent traveler on the NYC subway during rush hours, I hate having to pull out my iPhone when I barely have room to move my arms.

Tejas57

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2015
i'm looking forward to apple opening up the NFC capabilities.

my university uses NFC to control access after hours to various computer labs after hours. to be able to swipe my watch and go into the labs is a killer feature.

i'd also love to use the watch to pay for public transport here as we have a prox card system here (like the london oyster card)

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Harmony app to control my systems.

Rogers home security app so I can arm my house, or maybe even geofencing?

Anything that allows me to do things easier on the go/relaxing :D

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I think nest, apple remote, and weather are the things I use at least once a day every day that requires me to pull out the phone for just a second or two. These examples are the main reason I am buying a watch, I want to cut down how often I pull out my phone

spampy22

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
Golfshot app for tracking your distance to greens and club selection. Already confirmed by Goflshot it will be ready on the 24th

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Having owned a pebble for over a year, I'm just looking forward to being able to interact with the notifications I receive.

Some times I feel like moving from a Pebble to an Apple Watch is like moving from a beeper to a cell phone back in the day. (I'm 29, and once owned a beeper)

Sure the beeper had great battery life, but that's all it did, beep....

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
FitnessBuilder :D

image_watchfb.png

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Golfshot app for tracking your distance to greens and club selection. Already confirmed by Goflshot it will be ready on the 24th

Very excited about this. I was wondering if it was possible to detect direction and distance over Bluetooth between the iPhone and the Apple Watch. The range displayed on the watch will be how far the iPhone is from the hole, not the Apple Watch. It's not a deal breaker since you're picking out your club at the cart where the iPhone will most likely be but it would be an awesome feature.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I do the grocery shopping in my house. I use reminders to make my list and check the items off as I shop to make sure I have everything. I'm looking forward to an app that will let me see the list on my watch so that I'm not pulling my phone out 15-20 times.

I have seen iBeacons that work with the watch (in concept) that will alert you that you are near an item on your list. That might be helpful but hope not annoying.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
Harmony and hue for me. A Comcast app would be nice because I really like how easy the guide is to navigate and hey Siri set a series recording for --- would be awesome or search for next Bulls game etc without navigating menus. It will be really cool to see how it integrates with Apple TV. I really think that is the watches killer app is being a remote control for the world around you. Home automation with the watch will be great and it can eventually eliminate the need to take out things from your pocket for most things, should be able to do many functions of your wallet, phone and keys without having to dig them out. Like if it could emulate a key fob for your car and you have smart locks at home no digging out keys when you are carrying bags of groceries could be really cool. Hey Siri pop the trunk would be a great one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.