Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch will you be buying?

• Total voters

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Sport $350
Watch $1000
Edition $5000

Easy decision for me and mostly made by Apple.:D I respect and even appreciate style/fashion but I'm a pragmatist.

All we really know is that the watches start at $349. We don't even know for sure that the Sport watch is the lowest cost.

BUT, if the straps are all interchangeable across versions, that opens the door for major customization.

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
I'm interested in apple watch sport with rubber band for gym and plied blue leather for everyday.... I'm still undecided between silver and black one...
Does anyone have the ability to make a photoshop of the sport version with some leather bands? I'm not really good in making this kind of things....:confused::D

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I'm just going to get the cheapest one and see how I feel about wearing a smart watch. I haven't worn a watch in over 10 years. If it works out I'll fork out a little more for the 2nd gen.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Yes we do since it has the least expensive parts.;)

No, we don't. We won't KNOW until the info is released. But the way the info was delivered in the video and Keynote makes me wonder if the Apple Watch will be the least expensive. Somewhat strange for them to introduce 1) middle, 2) Low, 3) high.

But, all will be revealed in time. (Pun intended).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
No, we don't. We won't KNOW until the info is released. But the way the info was delivered in the video and Keynote makes me wonder if the Apple Watch will be the least expensive. Somewhat strange for them to introduce 1) middle, 2) Low, 3) high.

Yes we do,

Sport: Aluminum & Glass & fluoroelastomer (rubber) band

Watch: Stainless Steel & Sapphire crystal & choice of three different leather bands or link bracelet or...

Edition: 18K Gold & Sapphire crystal & Leather/gold strap

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Yes we do,

Sport: Aluminum & Glass & fluoroelastomer (rubber) band

Watch: Stainless Steel & Sapphire crystal & choice of three different leather bands or link bracelet or...

Edition: 18K Gold & Sapphire crystal & Leather/gold strap

I hear what you are saying, and you are probably right. But you still do not know for sure. Hell, for all we know, they won't come with any strap, and that will be a separate purchase.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I hear what you are saying, and you are probably right. But you still do not know for sure. Hell, for all we know, they won't come with any strap, and that will be a separate purchase.

The 'no strap' made sense to me too but Apple says they come with bands.

"...the display is protected by sapphire crystal. And there’s a choice of three different leather bands..."

"...Anodized aluminum cases in silver or space gray. Strengthened Ion-X glass. Colorful, durable bands....

SmGrafiX

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
PA
I want the black stainless steal version, thats if they release it, saw the pic on the website but doesnt mean they will release it.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I might go for the gold if it is priced cheaply.

Otherwise, probably sport since i would only wear it occasionally as a sport watch for gyms etc.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Interesting that there are such a high number of "no" votes. Even in a subforum of an all Apple forum that is dedicated to the watch, and filled with mostly watch apologists, 30% still say they won't buy. Far more than all but the sport watch, and not really too far behind it.

Not as discouraging as the article last week that cited only 11% of Apple consumers planned on buying it, but not exactly trumpeting impending world dominance either.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Interesting that there are such a high number of "no" votes. Even in a subforum of an all Apple forum that is dedicated to the watch, and filled with mostly watch apologists, 30% still say they won't buy. Far more than all but the sport watch, and not really too far behind it.

Not as discouraging as the article last week that cited only 11% of Apple consumers planned on buying it, but not exactly trumpeting impending world dominance either.

You would have likely found a similar amount saying this too before the giant iPhone (iPad) was released. You could even go back to the iPhone or iPod and find the same. After release if it's successful (which I think it will be) these people will be changing their minds and will be buying.

Also the poll is flawed since most will be buying the Sport (I predict 75% of sales), especially if the Watch lives up to it $1000 starting price rumors (which is likely).

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Although I am interested in the sport version, it's lack of GPS would cause me not to consider it. I have a 6+ and the whole point of the watch would be to leave the phone elsewhere.

I have a friend who says, regarding the :apple:watch:"I want it, but I don't need it.' I suspect he's not the only one.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
You would have likely found a similar amount saying this too before the giant iPhone (iPad) was released. You could even go back to the iPhone or iPod and find the same. After release if it's successful (which I think it will be) these people will be changing their minds and will be buying.

True. I am also sure you would have found similar polls for the iPod Hifi, Apple TV, 1st Gen MacBook Air, Newton, Lisa, 20th Anniversary Mac, Ping, Mobile Me, iCloud, and many more failed Apple products. Apple makes as many, if not more, flops than successes, and the watch feels more like those I have listed than iPhone or iPod.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
True. I am also sure you would have found similar polls for the iPod Hifi, Apple TV, 1st Gen MacBook Air, Newton, Lisa, 20th Anniversary Mac, Ping, Mobile Me, iCloud, and many more failed Apple products. Apple makes as many, if not more, flops than successes, and the watch feels more like those I have listed than iPhone or iPod.

I agree.

But I will be buying so oh well.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Who says the first gen MacBook Air was a failure? They updated it later in the year but it seemed to sell well enough.

----------

Aluminum is cheaper than stainless steel. The Sport is the $350 watch.

----------

11% of 200 million is still a big number.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Who says the first gen MacBook Air was a failure? They updated it later in the year but it seemed to sell well enough.

11% of 200 million is still a big number.

The first gen MacBook Air was terrible.Way overpriced and under powered.

And 11% of 200 million is 22 million. Or in other words, the amount of iPhones sold in, what, 6 months? Not to mention, there are not 200 million iPhone or Apple customers. Probably somewhere closer to 50-100 million. So in reality, you are looking at 5.5-11 million sold. And that assumes that all of those 11% actually follow through on the purchase, which is unlikely.

My original point stands. People here are cherry picking when they compare the watch to the iPod, iPhone and iPad. It could just as easily be the next HiFi, which, oh by the way, the watch is probably more analogous to than any of those other three products. Going after a high end market Apple has never been a player in, overpriced for the market, me too product in the category, etc.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The first gen MacBook Air was terrible.Way overpriced and under powered.

And 11% of 200 million is 22 million. Or in other words, the amount of iPhones sold in, what, 6 months? Not to mention, there are not 200 million iPhone or Apple customers. Probably somewhere closer to 50-100 million. So in reality, you are looking at 5.5-11 million sold. And that assumes that all of those 11% actually follow through on the purchase, which is unlikely.

My original point stands. People here are cherry picking when they compare the watch to the iPod, iPhone and iPad. It could just as easily be the next HiFi, which, oh by the way, the watch is probably more analogous to than any of those other three products. Going after a high end market Apple has never been a player in, overpriced for the market, me too product in the category, etc.

Apple will sell about 200 million iPhones over the next year. They'll probably sell 60 million next quarter alone. Plus, the Watch will work with about 200 million existing iPhones. Granted, there will be a lot of overlap between the 200 million existing iPhone owners and the 200 million or so that will be sold over the next year, but there will be some new growth.

My point is that even if a small fraction of iPhone owners get a Watch, there is a potential for Apple to sell ten million or more of them. That would be significant. No, it isn't the "next iPhone" but it could very significant over time.

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
I'll buy this one ,if it's for less than $500.
og_apple_watch.jpg

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I want the stainless one but if it's $1000 I'll probably get the sport and wait for V2. Then I can keep the sport as a beater watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.