Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vidjahgamz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thread title is pretty self-explanatory but will any of you be using a different case when you're not using the new Magic Keyboard? If so which case?

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I use a dBrand skin to protect the back and sides from scratching. Then it fits nicely inside the MK if so desired. I doubt you can close the MK if the iPad was in a case too. I only use a skin on my iPhone too. So I’m probably weird. Have always hated the bulk and weight of cases.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
On the weekends, I go back and forth between the smart folio and the magic keyboard. During the week, I use a Zugu Muse case. It is great quality case that is very steady and has a lot of angles. I draw on my iPad on an online whiteboard for work and need that.

vidjahgamz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I use a dBrand skin to protect the back and sides from scratching. Then it fits nicely inside the MK if so desired. I doubt you can close the MK if the iPad was in a case too. I only use a skin on my iPhone too. So I’m probably weird. Have always hated the bulk and weight of cases.
I’ve used a dbrand wrap on my current iPP 12.9”, but haven’t decided if I’m going to do the same with my 2021 version or not. I definitely like the added protection.

I'll definitely have to check out the DBrand wrap. Haven't heard of it.

Reactions: victry1

vidjahgamz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
On the weekends, I go back and forth between the smart folio and the magic keyboard. During the week, I use a Zugu Muse case. It is great quality case that is very steady and has a lot of angles. I draw on my iPad on an online whiteboard for work and need that.

I actually really like the Zugu Muse case. I would imagine the 2020 version should fit the 2021 12.9"?

Last edited:

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Alternating between Magic Keyboard and Smart Folio on my actual IPP, and it works great. The magnetic connection make it easy to swap cases, and the Folio is very polyvalent. Only thing with this setup is that protection on the sides is very limited. You have to be careful

Reactions: vidjahgamz

vidjahgamz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Alternating between Magic Keyboard and Smart Folio on my actual IPP, and it works great. The magnetic connection make it easy to swap cases, and the Folio is very polyvalent. Only thing with this setup is that protection on the sides is very limited. You have to be careful

Sounds like an excellent combo. And I guess it makes sense that the Smart Folio isn't the best case for protection. ?

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
On my 2018 I didn't rock any case when I took the iPP from the magic keyboard. I just had a stand / easel to rest it on.

For the 2021, I'm really digging the orange smart folio someone showed in another thread. Since I didn't buy an iPP in 2020, I got some extra in the iPP budget, and I'm getting that try out.

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country

used the same one for 2018 iPP for the past few years.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
On a 12.9 inch device, I don’t use a case. That’s a lot of weight and added bulk to an already large device.

I buy a sleeve and this time will be the first time I use a skin from dbrand. Never used them before but certainly more interested in protecting this pricey investment. Still not worth a case. Still considering AppleCare this go around for the same reason - expensive - and very expensive to fix if broken.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
The Smart Folio seems like the most simplistic option while protecting it from average, everyday falls. I might end up buying that one as well.
One great feature of the Apple Smart Folio is that when you fold the cover back into a triangle, it makes a very convenient way to hold/prop up the iPad in your lap. (I just put a finger or two inside the triangle space.)

For me, the Smart Keyboard and the Smart Folio are the perfect combination.

I've had 12.9" iPad Pros since the first one, and several iPads before that, and I've tried a lot of cases, including knock-offs. I've found that the Apple case is the sturdiest and most durable and definitely worth the extra money.

• Love

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I would like something I can use to comfortably hold with one hand. Doesn't have to be a folio either. A nice leather shell would suit me, or something along those lines. Looking for ideas. The NOMAD Rugged Case looks promising, but I don't yet see an option for iPP 12.9 5th gen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.