Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colour choice

• Space Grey

Votes: 82 37.4%
  • Pink

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Purple

Votes: 59 26.9%
  • Starlight

Votes: 63 28.8%

• Total voters

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have a 12.9 2021 Pro, but the Mini still gets used so will probably snag one. I'm picking up my 13 Pro Max instore on Friday, so will check out the colours and see what's what. Probably purple, with starlight second.

Reactions: Yr Blues

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Ordered a space grey 256 from apple but then found the Walmart daal for $50 off so I canceled and ordered 256 starlight because the space grey was sold out. I do f really care since it will be in a case. I never even notice what color my iPad Pro is

crobcary

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Starlight with the Electric Orange folio cover—at the time I pre-ordered, the space grey had slipped to October and this one would arrive on Friday. 256GB, WiFi.

My 12.9” iPP is silver, my upcoming iPhone is white/silver, but I really don’t care if it’s not an “exact match;” my pro has the orange cover. It’ll be close enough.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
At first I ordered the starlight
which I thought I would like but it looking at other pictures it looks more beige than anything to me so I ended up getting the pink

Malcy16

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
I've gone for starlight.
Not a fan of pink or purple and I've done space grey many times before.

Going to order the folio in a month or two and at the moment I'm thinking of the white one but wondering how long it'll last before getting dirty etc.
I'd quite like some other colour options for the folio but not sure how likely that is

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Starlight with Electric Orange folio. Almost chose Purple but Starlight will be easier to match with other folio colours if I feel like a change.

Same; starlight plus orange. Starlight is the brightest and most neutral option for maximum case compatibility.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I've gone for starlight.
Not a fan of pink or purple and I've done space grey many times before.

Going to order the folio in a month or two and at the moment I'm thinking of the white one but wondering how long it'll last before getting dirty etc.
I'd quite like some other colour options for the folio but not sure how likely that is
I was planning on the white folio as well and wondering the same thing.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I was planning on the white folio as well and wondering the same thing.
I have had iPads, and iPad Minis, almost ever since they came out, with Apple folio cases.
I have found the folios get pretty tired looking after a few years, with slightly frayed edges, and the fuzzy interior is also harder to clean. The last Apple folio I got was therefore a brown leather one (when they still made leather versions), so that it looks more natural as it ages.

This time around I am just going to plan on replacing the folio in a few years. The trick is to get a replacement before they discontinue them.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
I think Apple over-estimated how many would want Pink, perhaps they thought a lot of women would go for the iPad Air.

I will probably go Purple, although I'd like to see Starlight in person. Thankful it reminded me of the fun 20 year old song of the same name.

Reactions: limesmoothie

H-P.

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
I think Apple over-estimated how many would want Pink, perhaps they thought a lot of women would go for the iPad Air.

I will probably go Purple, although I'd like to see Starlight in person. Thankful it reminded me of the fun 20 year old song of the same name.

I actually think the pink colour is the only "warm" colour of the bunch. I also like starlight as it seems a very nice champagne-like colour.

I currently have a Mini 5 in space grey, but to be honest: the mini is a fun device and should have a broader range of colours like the air. Space grey fits all situations but c'mon... it's boring. ?

Reactions: tpfang56

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Reviews are out soon. How many will change colour choice after seeing the starlight i wonder

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008

I'm a dude who's favorite color is Pink. I chose Starlight at first, but I couldn't tell what it was (until today's reviews).

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
wow after watching all the hands on I'm glad I stuck with purple over starlight

Reactions: judethat

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I ordered Starlight over Purple (my original first choice) because I could still get Starlight delivered this weekend, where Purple would not ship until at least mid October. After watching the initial unboxing videos this morning, I found that I liked both colors, and Starlight looked as good IMO as Purple. I am happy with my choice.

One advantage of Starlight is that the color appears to the most neutral and would contrast well with any case cover from any manufacturer. As has been said before - most iPads are covered by cases, so color doesn't make much different in the end. The front bezels are all dark. That was not true with earlier Mini's, since some colors had white bezels, which is why I always chose Space Gray (or Slate on the original Mini).

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
Tough choosing between Pink & Starlight for me. I have a Silver M1 iMac & ordered a Starlight iPhone 13 mini. The Starlight color is not consistent between the iPhone & iPad though. The Starlight iPhone is practically indistinguishable from last years silver iPhone 12. But the Starlight iPad looks silver in some lighting/angles but sometimes looks like a really washed out gold. Not too sure if I like it or not.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
In some shots I think the pink is too light for me, order the purple. Then in other shots the pink looks to my taste and the purple too dark/blueish… argh.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
After watching the videos, I don’t hate starlight as much as I thought. The yellow is a lot subtler than the picture on the website makes it look. It’s still not quite as good as regular silver would’ve been or the purple (although it does go better with more case colors), so I would put it in second place instead of third.

I’m still going to get an in-person look at the apple store on saturday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.