Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colour choice

• Space Grey

Votes: 82 37.4%
  • Pink

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Purple

Votes: 59 26.9%
  • Starlight

Votes: 63 28.8%

• Total voters

bookcase

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I still think seeing these colors in the store would give us a better understanding of what they actually look like. From the videos, Starlight is too light for my liking, but purple has some blue undertones that I really like. Since I can't make it to a store anytime soon, however, I ordered the Space Grey -- stick with what I know.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Starlight seems to be a color that changes a lot with light. Which is something i like.

Purple is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. If i could go back i might have ordered that one.

But i'll probably keep starlight, since it's going to stay in the black folio anyway and i think this combo will look good. (At least i love it on the folio pictures)

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I feel the purple deserves to be used without the case. It looks like the old slate grey in some angles.

I feel the mini is meant to a fun device which is why i went purple

It might pair nice with the bright orange case
I thought this too, wish they’d show it with the cherry folio instead. It seems darker than the lavender hence it seeming grey, where it would be lighter than the cherry so might show the colour better. The pink can also be easily confused with starlight in some angles.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
The pink can also be easily confused with starlight in some angles.

Yup in ijustine video i couldnt even tell it was pink until it was angled

So far most reviewers find the purple the nicest

Why apple could u not have done a midnight ipad mini and a sierra blue case?

Then it would have matched my sierra blue iphone with midnight case

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Yup in ijustine video i couldnt even tell it was pink until it was angled
Yes, it was pretty obvious to me Justine was disappointed in the pink, quote: "If I didn't know this was pink, I might not actually know that it was pink." Justine is an admitted fan of pink and of vivid saturated colors.

Hard to tell from the various videos, but looks like a pretty washed-out pink. Not that I would want a bubblegum pink, but I was expecting a slightly richer pink, like shown here:

ipad-mini-gallery3-202109.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Yr Blues

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I was debating getting a star light or space grey iPad mini. I went with space grey, as most of my devices are space grey like my MacBook Pro.

Also Apple’s colour scheme always differentiates from the actual colour. Purple does not seem purple, pink is not pink.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuuuki and Yr Blues

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Partner is debating between Starlight and Space Gray. I like Starlight better personally. Sad there’s no green or blue like the iPad Air though!

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Space Gray but let’s face it, I never look at the back of my devices. Now the folio cover, on the other hand…

Reactions: Yuuuki

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
Old post but I always do order the Color that is the cheapest available at that time. Since I use my iPad and iPhone with a case anyway the Color is nothing I really really care about. And I just like to save a bit of money if possible. :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Space grey. It was the only colour available. I might have considered the purple. However my MacBook and iPad Pro are space grey so I was happy to keep the same colour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.