Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That seems like very sound advice, and, shall be heeded.
I’m sure you know this, but if there is anything specific you want to do, it is wise to verify days and hours of operation, but the Gulf Coast tends to stay warm and functional in the winter, except maybe for swimming in the Gulf.

When we did Normandy, this was in the winter, and the only dissapointment was that the Monet house/museum in Giverny was closed… :(

When we did our Athens-Istanbul cruise last year, it was in Jan, a wonderful time for the Med. Our intrepid but uninformed friends did a similar cruise in June and was surprised they found themselves melting in Athens, lol. They did not consult us regarding the timing and we were like, “reservations made, well ok, have fun” . :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’m sure you know this, but if there is anything specific you want to do, it is wise to verify days and hours of operation, but the Gulf Coast tends to stay warm and functional in the winter, except maybe for swimming in the Gulf.

When we did Normandy, this was in the winter, and the only dissapointment was that the Monet house/museum in Giverny was closed… :(

When we did our Athens-Istanbul cruise last year, it was in Jan, a wonderful time for the Med. Our intrepid but uninformed friends did a similar cruise in June and was surprised they found themselves melting in Athens, lol. They did not consult us regarding the timing and we were like, “reservations made, well ok, have fun” . :)
My mother always recommended taking trips around Easter (late March to late April), when you could enjoy spring but avoid crowds.

For several years, she used to take two foreign holidays a year: One, with my father, usually in the autumn, to places of mutual interest that always included culture, cuisine and sunshine, - hence, initially, Spain, then, Italy, and many holidays in Greece, the Greek islands, Turkey.

And then, there was the other: This always took place during the Easter school break, when she headed off by herself with a group of teachers of Classics (who taught Latin, and Classical Studies/ Civilisation - i.e. the history of ancient Greece & Rome) to places of classical interest, (I recall that over a number of years she took trips to Madrid, southern France - Roman Gaul - and Athens, exploring places of importance in classical Greece, among others).

She loved those trips: Not only were the destinations fascinating, but the time of year meant that the climate was congenial (though Madrid in March was surprisingly cold, she recalled, however, she was well prepared for that), and that these places - if popular - were not over-crowded with tourists.

However, above all, the fact that she travelled with a group (the teachers of classics) who were professionally and personally very knowledgeable about (and very interested in) the ancient classical world, meant that the tour guides and drivers they had (or were assigned) were superb, among the best that were available, who knew that they were dealing with very interested, keen and knowledgeable individuals.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
where would I want to travel to at this moment? Chile. My Spanish teacher (mid 80s) was from there, always wanted to go, would also visit Montevideo and Buenos Aires on that trip.
Bucket list of countries I'd like to visit (where I haven't been before): Peru, Morocco, Portugal, Vietnam
and then there is a long list of countries I'd like to go back to ...

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I'd like to see New Zealand. I'm fascinated by that little isolated place. I was especially inspired to visit after viewing a travel video about it that began with a spiel about how New Zealand is often left off of maps and thought to be part of Australia (featuring the story of one young woman who was detained in another country because the customs officials did not believe New Zealand was a sovereign nation, thinking it instead a province of Australia).

A trip there was in the works for this year, but it has fallen through. Last year I made it to Portugal, Morocco, France, and Italy. Not sure if I'll be able to go anywhere new this year, but I'm going to try. 😁

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd like to see New Zealand. I'm fascinated by that little isolated place. I was especially inspired to visit after viewing a travel video about it that began with a spiel about how New Zealand is often left off of maps and thought to be part of Australia (featuring the story of one young woman who was detained in another country because the customs officials did not believe New Zealand was a sovereign nation, thinking it instead a province of Australia).

A trip there was in the works for this year, but it has fallen through. Last year I made it to Portugal, Morocco, France, and Italy. Not sure if I'll be able to go anywhere new this year, but I'm going to try. 😁
New Zealand would be on my bucket list.
Beautiful landscapes and very few people. Sounds like my idea of heaven.
Not that I’ll ever go.

Reactions: VisceralRealist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.