Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
After a couple of hours with iOS9 Beta I've decided I'd like to go back to iOS 8.4

I do love iOS 9 at the moment and its a bit glitchy as expected, but all my Health Kit data app isn't really responding well which I do use quite a bit.

I also had the issue with the iPhone getting quite hot when it was charging last night, whilst using my sleep cycle app it went from 10% - 57% in a space of 7 hours which made me a bit concerned about it. I did try to restore from back up but for some reason its still loaded iOS 9.

So it looks like I might have to do a complete restore to new, then download the rest from the iCloud, which wont be fun to say the least...

Reactions: elvisthegreat

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Yep, i went back last night.

I thought Beta 2 was great but Beta 3 just annoyed me too much for it to be kept on my phone.

Reactions: bahndoos

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
yeah I'm going to do the same tonight I hope, although as I said I done that this morning and it still loaded iOS9 and not my back up of 8.4.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
ah its a killer, just takes time getting everything back to where it was. maybe next time ill just wait for the official release .

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Just finished a restore back to 8.4. Yeah iOS 9 doesn't feel like it's ready to go yet by any means. Hope my update to Mac OS X El Capitan fares better tomorrow.

johno168

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
Can't decide. On the fence, I get a lot of app stutters and sometimes the keyboard just disappears. But at the same time, i'm digging all the new features. Then again I can easily get these features with 8.4 JB. THEN AGAIN, I didn't back up before updating and theres no way of restoring my SMS/iMessages. DILEMMAS HAHAH.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
To be fair I knew it would be buggy, its what I'd expect from a beta but like I said its messed a few things around like Health Kit and the battery getting hot, it just didn't feel comfortable.

danbsfc

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Southampton, UK
Yep. Gone back on my iPhone 5S and will be reverting my iPad 4 tonight. iOS 9 PB left me with no notifications whatsoever on both devices, despite numerous reboots, resets, toggling on and off. It ran hot, killed my iCloud backups. Not good.

El Capitan however is buttery smooth and incredibly solid...

Reactions: bahndoos

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Yep. Gone back on my iPhone 5S and will be reverting my iPad 4 tonight. iOS 9 PB left me with no notifications whatsoever on both devices, despite numerous reboots, resets, toggling on and off. It ran hot, killed my iCloud backups. Not good.

El Capitan however is buttery smooth and incredibly solid...

I think its going to take about an hour to get my iPhone back to how I actually backed up my iPhone, even though iTunes begs to differ. I was thinking about El Capitan but after iOS 9 little bit nervous...

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Nope. I'm very satisfied with iOS 9 at the moment. A few bugs are present, but nowhere near enough to make me downgrade. I'd like to see what later betas will yield to us.

Reactions: Blujelly

kdfsr20

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
If I want to go back to 8.4. I guess I have to reset phone to factory setting and then restore from my backup?

I honestly don't see anything great about 9. Nothing really new.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I think its going to take about an hour to get my iPhone back to how I actually backed up my iPhone, even though iTunes begs to differ. I was thinking about El Capitan but after iOS 9 little bit nervous...

Took me about 3 hours, first sync my apps, then sync over 3000 pics & vids and lastly over 70GB's of music that i pick and chose from about a 100GB of music. Got all my wifes **** in my iTunes too so i dont want all that otherwise it'd be much quicker.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Took me about 3 hours, first sync my apps, then sync over 3000 pics & vids and lastly over 70GB's of music that i pick and chose from about a 100GB of music. Got all my wifes **** in my iTunes too so i dont want all that otherwise it'd be much quicker.

Set up a playlist with just your music in it. Then instead of syncing all music, just select your playlist to sync.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
If I want to go back to 8.4. I guess I have to reset phone to factory setting and then restore from my backup?

I honestly don't see anything great about 9. Nothing really new.

Well I thought that and I'm probably wrong but I thought that you downloaded iOS 9 beta, then if you want to downgrade, you just restore from backup that you done before upgrading to iOS 9 beta, I done that this morning and it didn't work it still gave me iOS9 as the default iOS even though I backed up before I download iOS 9.

Luckily I have iTunes Match and AP so the music side is fine, its just all the photo's and apps and making sure nothing else is missing or needs to be changed. just perfecting it back to before can normally take the longest.

kdfsr20

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
@Bluejelly. Same here. It still kept 9 on phone. Sucks. We have to do a full restore to get back.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Well I thought that and I'm probably wrong but I thought that you downloaded iOS 9 beta, then if you want to downgrade, you just restore from backup that you done before upgrading to iOS 9 beta, I done that this morning and it didn't work it still gave me iOS9 as the default iOS even though I backed up before I download iOS 9.

Luckily I have iTunes Match and AP so the music side is fine, its just all the photo's and apps and making sure nothing else is missing or needs to be changed. just perfecting it back to before can normally take the longest.

You were supposed to do the backup in iTunes and then archive it so that new backups didnt overwrite then iOS 8.4 backup.

Reactions: Ulisescm

kdfsr20

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
I did that. I have only 1 backup saved on my computer and it was 8.4 but when I go back to restore from that the os9 stays on phone.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
You were supposed to do the backup in iTunes and then archive it so that new backups didnt overwrite then iOS 8.4 backup.

I did the back up at 8.4 then downloaded iOS 9 I never did a backup with iOS 9.

So the only version on my MBP was last night 8.4 before the download. I had no reason to archive it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.