Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I done it on the Saturday morning, had iOS9 on the Friday night and my phone got really hot once again! Turned it off and unplugged it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
beta 9 no problems, I'm keeping it.

I've only been using it for a couple of days, but the only glitch I've experienced so far is the new News app crashing once. Battery life seems unchanged from 8.x. I'm actually sort of surprised...but like you, I'll be keeping it unless some bugs start swarming.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Only bugs so far are the odd notification doesn't make any sound, battery life is great though.
I've been having that on and off, for different apps at different times.

Also of course the expected few apps that are not working (basically crashing at startup).

That said, the biggest issue I've been running into is a dark screen while in a call--essentially I'll start a call normally and then either the screen will go dark on its own (if I'm a headset or speakerphone) or it will go dark because I put it to my ear, and after that I can't get it back to come on during the call. Only after the call is done could I usually get things back by using the lock/sleep button, but once even that didn't work and I had to do a reset essentially. This screen issue doesn't happen all the time, but isn't all that rare for me either. So far the top thing that is making me consider going back to iOS 8 for now, but I'm still not completely decided on it.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Went back to 8.4 on all my devices (mini, 6 and 6+). I was having a lot of issues with apps crashing, control center not working, and mail not fetching yahoo mail (gmail was fine). Feels like a new device again, everything smooth. I think I'm done with betas in general, it's fun to test new features, but a pain when old features don't work.

Reactions: CooKieMoNs7eR

kdfsr20

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Went back to 8.4 on all my devices (mini, 6 and 6+). I was having a lot of issues with apps crashing, control center not working, and mail not fetching yahoo mail (gmail was fine). Feels like a new device again, everything smooth. I think I'm done with betas in general, it's fun to test new features, but a pain when old features don't work.

Totally agree! I did load it on my iPad though. Went back to 8.4 on phone. I did like the new keyboard how you can easily see lower case from upper case. The spotlight never did work for me.

Reactions: pdaholic

dendkmac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
To many issues with IOS 9 public Beta for myself, started off with the install not working, killing the LTE which disabled the messaging there by killing the two factor authentication to the Apple ID...did a restore from a good backup back to 8.4. Tried the upgrade again with same result but I had logged on the beta site and authenticated before running IOS 9 install...ran the profile again the install took. My phone kept locking up, losing LTE and wireless, apps were not really responding, decided to call it a day restore back to IOS 8.4 for now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Will there be a next version of public beta soon that might be better?
There will more than likely be another version of the public beta at some point in the future, but no one really knows exactly when or what it will be like (although certainly the expectation is that it will be better at least in the overall sense).

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68010
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
The only real problem I'm having on the 9 PB is the phone won't automatically backup to iCloud. My Air 1 is having more problems—apps crashing, get a blank screen when I'm supposed to get a "Open With" message, etc.—but I'm gonna stick with 9 anyway. Most of my real work is done on my MBP and El Capitan is running smoothly.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I went back to 8.4 on my Air 2 in a day. WiFi would disconnect and even forget my home network. Went back to 8.4 on my 6 plus after 4 days. Downloads would stop when on WiFi and webpages would stop opening. 4G was displayed most of the time. LTE would rarely come up like it normally would. A few crashes and a few times stuck in landscape but 8.4 does that too.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Will there be a next version of public beta soon that might be better?

It could be next week or it could be in a few more weeks. Apple hasn't really had a solid public beta schedule across all of the public betas they've done so no one is really sure. They typically don't update the public beta as often as the developer betas though.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
Went back to 8.4 but can't restore from back up because the back up I have is from ios9 which I guess is not compatible with 8.4? so I have to use a month old back up...oh well

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Like others have most likely said (didn't read whole thread), you need to go into DFU mode to restore to iOS 8.4 from iOS 9.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Dropbox kept crashing, Snapseed won't Save to the Camera Roll and other miscellaneous bugs sent me back to 8. Nice thing is after the restore my 4s is working really well on 8.4.
I really miss the lowercase/uppercase keyboard in 9 as well as the UI tweaks. Why it took 2 years to get some sort of Shift fix is beyond me.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
No you don't. I've done it more times than I can remember without going into DFU mode.

My mistake then. Whenever I reset my devices from beta, I like to use DFU mode to make sure that no 'beta junk' gets left behind.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
My mistake then. Whenever I reset my devices from beta, I like to use DFU mode to make sure that no 'beta junk' gets left behind.

No need to use DFU mode. Download the iOS .ipsw from Apple and alt/shift + click restore and double click the file. Been doing it for years.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
No need to use DFU mode. Download the iOS .ipsw from Apple and alt/shift + click restore and double click the file. Been doing it for years.

The great thing is that there are two methods to doing the same task. You have your way, but I personally prefer DFU/recovery as it's a somewhat more automated process, compared to what you described.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
Correct, backups from new versions of iOS cannot be used on past versions.
I thought you could go to your iTunes .plist file in your backup and modify the version from 9.0 to 8.4? I did that but it keeps telling me the version is corrupted or not compatible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.