Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Hello. all

so oh has the iPhone SE 2022 in this day of age? And how you like it planing on getting one my self has I still love the old school Touch ID it still has it will all so go great with my Mac mini M2 my ipad 10th gen and my Apple

am all so planning on trading my Samsung S22 plus at Verizon not sure what they give me for it

ish4y

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
Don't buy the SE new. These devices pop up in bulk on the used market for half the price all the time - some even unactivated.

I have the SE 2022 in Starlight. A reseller in my area sold a factory-sealed 128GB model to me for 350 EUR, which is a bargain. I sold my third-party refurbished 12 for this phone, as it started getting problems and the SE was all I could afford from the new line-up. So, I actually switched from the iPhone 11 64GB. I wanted more storage and a longevity upgrade (particularly updates and using the widespread 5G coverage in my area). From time to time I miss the edge-to-edge display and ultra wide-angle lens, but I can live with these shortcomings. The SE will get updates for years to come, is no slouch (same chip as the 14), marks the return of Touch ID, has daylight image processing on par with the iPhone 13, has the best video recording quality in its price class, and the design is classy and pocketable. The battery life is just fine. It gets me through the day, but I started carrying a power bank. The battery is the weakest aspect of this phone, but a major improvement over the SE 2020 (which I had, and it was horrid). I think I get 6 hours of SOT and I end my days with 20-30% left in the tank, after a day of reading news, scrolling on social media and watching videos.

I used some really extravagant Android flagships from 2016 onwards, but when I entered the Apple ecosystem, I had to get an iPhone as well. I don't want anything else now. Everything works together so well with my Mac and iPad. The phone just works for me and is reliable in every aspect, as expected from an iPhone - so I could give up the luxuries the more expensive phones have given me. The screen, albeit an LCD, is nice and accurate (and I have experienced OLED for a short period on a 12, but didn't miss it at all). The camera, albeit a single-lens, outputs reliable photos, quality 4K60 video and Instagram-worthy selfies, the speed is no joke and it'll outclass every Android phone in this price category when it comes to updates.

The SE 2022 is a boring high-end phone. A stripped down iPhone 13 that's trapped in a design that was already dated in 2017. So if you think the SE will bore you, splurge on a higher-end iPhone. But overall, it's a solid device for someone who doesn't need all the bells and whistles and wants something that just works. And it'll work really well the coming years.

Last edited:

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I've got the 2020 model SE so very similar! its a great phone and terrific value for money.

I had a 12 pro max which had a fault but weirdly didn't affect the trade in value so I swapped it for a 256GB SE.

I thought it would be tough to go back to a smaller screen but I love it and the Touch ID is way better than Face ID for me.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
My last four phones have been the Se, 8, Se 2 and Se 3.

I’d have upgraded to a more modern design if they were using LCD screens and not going to cause me issues. Also don’t understand why they refuse to have touch id under the screen or even like the iPad does on the side.

ish4y

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
My last four phones have been the Se, 8, Se 2 and Se 3.

I’d have upgraded to a more modern design if they were using LCD screens and not going to cause me issues. Also don’t understand why they refuse to have touch id under the screen or even like the iPad does on the side.

Because a tried and tested design causes the SE to retain its low cost.

DaveEcc

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I have one. I barely use my phone, so don't want something expensive nor do I want something that will barely fit in a pocket, and I don't want Android... so SE 2022 it was.

The two big complaints I think are:
  • The small screen makes it hard to type, which is valid. If you message a lot or take a lot of notes it may be painful.
  • The battery life. As someone that barely uses the phone I get 3-4 day battery life. It does drop rather quickly when in use. If you have a lot of screen time, you may struggle to keep it charged.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello. all

so oh has the iPhone SE 2022 in this day of age? And how you like it planing on getting one my self has I still love the old school Touch ID it still has it will all so go great with my Mac mini M2 my ipad 10th gen and my Apple

am all so planning on trading my Samsung S22 plus at Verizon not sure what they give me for it
I don't have one, but I want to get one to effectively serve as an iPod touch now that iPod touches aren't sold anymore. I'm sad that the 4.7" form factor got to live while the 5.5" "Plus" form factor got nixed. But it is more portable and it is still a nice design. I wouldn't want one as my primary phone. But as a work phone or as a secondary iOS device that can run the current iOS release (being effectively an iPhone 13 in terms of computing power), it's pretty cool! The cost of AppleCare+ is also lower on it by a relatively significant margin, so that's nice too!

CC91UK

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
Norwich, UK
If my iPhone 8 doesn't get iOS 17 I might replace it with an SE 2022. I like having Touch ID and a small screen (even 4.7" is on the large side for my hands!).

Reactions: ThomasJL

ish4y

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
I don't have one, but I want to get one to effectively serve as an iPod touch now that iPod touches aren't sold anymore. I'm sad that the 4.7" form factor got to live while the 5.5" "Plus" form factor got nixed. But it is more portable and it is still a nice design. I wouldn't want one as my primary phone. But as a work phone or as a secondary iOS device that can run the current iOS release (being effectively an iPhone 13 in terms of computing power), it's pretty cool! The cost of AppleCare+ is also lower on it by a relatively significant margin, so that's nice too!

I forgot that the cheaper repair costs are an added benefit.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
My mom got a "like new" refurb SE 2022 for $380 CAD which is a really good deal on Black Friday. I told her it could be the last iPhone with a home button. She likes the camera as it has way more features and better quality than her previous iPhone 7. I use the iPhone 7 now as a iPod touch like device as a way to fiddle/play around iOS as my main daily driver is a Samsung Galaxy A53.

tenordrum

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2019
DC Beltway
My wife enjoys her SE3 which we purchased a few months ago. Upgraded from the 7. Hope you get a lot of good use out of yours!

Last edited:

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
My sister upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an SE 2022, 256gb bought directly from Apple. She loves it!

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
My wife enjoys here SE3 which we purchased a few months ago. Upgraded from the 7. Hope you get a lot of good use out of yours!
Thanks I will might upgrade to the SE 4 next year but tell then the SE 3 will do just find lol

Reactions: tenordrum

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
All so the iPhone SE 3rd gen all so came with iOS 16.3.1 out the box wish I was surprise has I was expecting a older version to be in Stall on it

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I am a fan of the SE. I had the original SE which in my opinion was a classic design. Then I purchased the SE 2020 which my wife now uses as I have the SE 2022. Serves my needs very well and fits into pockets for decent portability. Not as good as the SE 1 from a carry perspective as that fit easily and comfortably into the front pocket of my jeans. Enjoy your new phone.

Reactions: Mikeyt1818

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Ive come to the conclusion that the iPhone X I carry is over-specced
for my needs. I dont take photos unless its to remember something.
No videos either. Don't watch movies or shows on it.

Just mainly calls, messaging, web browser to read some social media/
news sites occasionally...I dont even use apps for banking, shopping.
So why do I need a phone that is at the top of the apple pecking order?

Considering iPhone SE (128GB) but keep hearing that a 4th Gen version with
an Apple chip will be available in 2024....any truth in this and any idea when?

The only thing I'll need to get used to is a drop in screen size from 5.8" to 4.7"

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Ive come to the conclusion that the iPhone X I carry is over-specced
for my needs. I dont take photos unless its to remember something.
No videos either. Don't watch movies or shows on it.

Just mainly calls, messaging, web browser to read some social media/
news sites occasionally...I dont even use apps for banking, shopping.
So why do I need a phone that is at the top of the apple pecking order?

Considering iPhone SE (128GB) but keep hearing that a 4th Gen version with
an Apple chip will be available in 2024....any truth in this and any idea when?

The only thing I'll need to get used to is a drop in screen size from 5.8" to 4.7"
The SE takes very good photos and handles banking apps very efficiently. It will handle your needs very well. With regards to screen size, I believe the rumour I read about a possible SE 4 predicted it would be 6.1". That is bigger than I want.

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Ah, I nearly missed this SE (2022) appreciation thread! I upgraded to it a year ago when I started having problems with my iPhone 8 Plus. The drop in size didn't bother me at all, in fact I prefer it for my small hands. I love having Touch ID and my only complaint was losing the extra camera lens. It's been great as a 5G phone. I love it.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
The SE takes very good photos and handles banking apps very efficiently. It will handle your needs very well. With regards to screen size, I believe the rumour I read about a possible SE 4 predicted it would be 6.1". That is bigger than I want.

That is a rumour worth waiting for :)

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I have one. I barely use my phone, so don't want something expensive nor do I want something that will barely fit in a pocket, and I don't want Android... so SE 2022 it was.

The two big complaints I think are:
  • The small screen makes it hard to type, which is valid. If you message a lot or take a lot of notes it may be painful.
  • The battery life. As someone that barely uses the phone I get 3-4 day battery life. It does drop rather quickly when in use. If you have a lot of screen time, you may struggle to keep it charged.
yeah I can vouch for those. I've been doing a self build and when onsite with contractors its can be a pain taking notes and the battery would go from 100% to 20% in about 4 hours with a mix of emails, phone calls and a little of slacking on you tube and instagram.

I would just charge it back up to 70% on lunch break in the truck so it wasn't the end of the world but more of a minor inconvenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.