Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I need to get my 11 year old daughter her first phone this summer and am looking at this SE. I have a couple of free, unused lines on T-Mobile....comes down to buying a used/refurb SE and popping one of those SIM cards in it OR getting one for 1/2 price from Tmobile with a new line (which I can cancel after 2 years and give her one of the free lines anyway)
Well, if she needs a phone, I would say get the new one at 1/2 price. It will last longer, get more years of updates and have a better warranty.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I need to get my 11 year old daughter her first phone this summer and am looking at this SE. I have a couple of free, unused lines on T-Mobile....comes down to buying a used/refurb SE and popping one of those SIM cards in it OR getting one for 1/2 price from Tmobile with a new line (which I can cancel after 2 years and give her one of the free lines anyway)
I get your 11 year old the iPhone SE. 3rd generation with the A15 and years of IOS updates and no offense or any thing but buy time she is 16 to 17 years old. She be ready to upgrade to a newer phone unless you get here one be for then

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I get your 11 year old the iPhone SE. 3rd generation with the A15 and years of IOS updates and no offense or any thing but buy time she is 16 to 17 years old. She be ready to upgrade to a newer phone unless you get here one be for then
I'm getting her that phone, that's not up for debate. What's up for debate is if I pay full price for a new phone or get a refurb.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
What's up for debate is if I pay full price for a new phone or get a refurb.
A good quality refurb gets my vote (with a decent warranty to boot to cover you for component failures).

You daughter won't notice the difference...and the phone will get dropped/scratched (unless it's got some decent screen protectors and cases) etc etc.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
My 2020 SE was fine but glass is now broken. I ordered my 2022 yesterday. The problem i am pwm sensitive, so i returned the iphone 13 mini.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I'm getting her that phone, that's not up for debate. What's up for debate is if I pay full price for a new phone or get a refurb.
I get here a brand new one all so get here a outer box case

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
My 2020 SE was fine but glass is now broken. I ordered my 2022 yesterday. The problem i am pwm sensitive, so i returned the iphone 13 mini.
You should have gotten a outer box case

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I got the 2022 SE a few months ago pretty much because it had Touch ID, otherwise I would have gotten the 13 Mini. 13 Mini has more features and is slightly better for one-handed use, but for me in the end Touch ID won out. I don’t want Face ID.
The SE does the job pretty well. Pretty fast. Decent camera. Battery life is good, although I don’t use my phone to kill time. I appreciate still having bezels. My only big complaint is it’s too big and slippery compared to my previous phone (2016 SE). I had to get a grippy case for it so that I could use it one-handed without feeling like the slightest bump would send it flying. This is the first phone I’ve had to use a case for, which is annoying. All my prior phones have been small, so I never needed a case for them. And of course I always want a better camera and more storage, but not an option if I want Touch ID.
Hoping Apple eventually brings back Touch ID and smaller phones.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It’s a 4 inch screen and it’s still getting security updates and will for years to come.

iOS updates aren’t that important if you’re still getting security patches.

Apps are also separate and will also be supported for years.
I wanted to hold onto my 2016 SE until the end of time, but I recently had to replace it because the power button broke, and I think my GPS was wonky, but also app support was starting to go. One critical app, A Better Route Planner, was pretty unusable because a lot of the words/buttons were cut off. Super disappointing.
If your critical apps continue to keep working though, keep on keeping on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.