Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Insleep

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
United States
I do it with every beta, and I have since iOS 3's beta on the good ol touch.

Yes, I know you're not supposed to use it as your main iOS version, but the features are so fun its hard to give up. Besides, if I can make it through the first few iOS 7 betas, then I can make it through this one.

So, who's being stupid :rolleyes: like me and using iOS 9 for their main OS?

I've been using it on my iPod Touch 5th gen. Works pretty well.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've installed it on my iPod Touch 5th gen (which was already on 8.4b). I also installed it on my iPad Air 2, because I wanted to test out the multi-tasking and PIP video. Overall, they both seem pretty stable in limited testing (and so far, only the Plex app is broken that I've noticed). I can play with those devices a little, because they are recreational devices.

I am much more conservative with my iPhone 6, because it was issued by work and is 50% personal, 50% business use. It will stay on official public releases until very close to the end, probably until the GM.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
i usually do but my phone froze for like 30 seconds, then no reception then i reset it and it took another 10 mins to reboot while my mechanic was phoning me - beta software im reverting back kind of need stability now lol

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
With the exception of Multitasking which is limited to the iPad and severely limited except for the iPad Air 2, there are very few things in iOS 9 to get excited about.

News: meh.
Notes: meh.
Maps: meh. unless you live in a heavy public transit city.
Wallet: meh. we'll see but Apple Pay is slow adoption.
Carplay: meh. very limited.
Multitasking: YES! oh wait, limited.
Siri enhancements: meh, see this thread. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-proactive-siri-should-have-been.1891006/

Reactions: Jmausmuc

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
The battery is AWFUL. It probably drained at double the speed it would usually.

I agree with this. My 6 Plus can't quite make it a full day without being plugged in at some point. Apart from that, it's been really stable. Only app I have found that crashes right away is Groupon, and I don't really care about that.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I agree with this. My 6 Plus can't quite make it a full day without being plugged in at some point. Apart from that, it's been really stable. Only app I have found that crashes right away is Groupon, and I don't really care about that.

Hulu also doesn't work on the iPhone, Asphalt8 on my iPad, but its not bad actually for the first dev beta. The battery on my 6 Plus has also been crap. I would have reverted back to 8.4 already if I hadn't already upgraded my Watch too. Another problem I have noticed is with YouTube on my iPad. I've run into a problem where sometimes videos just won't play. It'll load the screen, and the first frame of the video, but thats it. Once it happens (doesn't matter on what app) it happens on all of them, TubeX, official YouTube app, YouTube mobile site via Safari. I end up having to reboot my iPad.

Part of me thinks I should put my iPad back on iOS 8.4, another loves that multitasking and says 'Wait until Beta 2...'. It's an illness with software testing, I swear.

spshulem

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
I've always been doing it, and the last one was pretty bad, iOS 8. iOS 7 was bad, but not awful. iOS 6 was the first beta where I was surprised by the number of bugs. But this one is by far the worst. I've never had my phone crash so much, and be so slow on things (iPhone 6+). Camera crashes the whole OS, not just app. I'm use to things not working and crashing, but something like messages not showing up, or this weird tansparent over some window... just weird ****. That's new to beta's that I've seen.

Same with El Capitan, I've never had my computer kernal panic, and never wake up so much. New rMBP 2015 (mid)​

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Yes, I know you're not supposed to use it as your main iOS version, but the features are so fun its hard to give up. Besides, if I can make it through the first few iOS 7 betas, then I can make it through this one.

I decided to install it on my less essential device (iPad Air 2). It's great so far. Restored from iCloud backup, and it's running great. The multitasking feature is awesome. I am watching a video as I type this.

Crazy is some of us (including myself) who upgraded their Apple Watches to WatchOS 2.0 beta 1 (which you can't downgrade) and upgraded to iOS 9 beta 1 (which you can't downgrade otherwise the watch won't work)

Reactions: 0000757

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I decided to install it on my less essential device (iPad Air 2). It's great so far. Restored from iCloud backup, and it's running great. The multitasking feature is awesome. I am watching a video as I type this.
I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason. It's running great for me also, but it gets insanely hot :(

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada

I tried! Crashy, crashy, crashy for a few of my daily apps.

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
I've been running it on my iPad Mini (1st gen), for the most part not bad but as others have said battery is really suffering I have also found it to be sluggish at times. Which is intermittent. Overall not bad, but likely going to hold off until the next beta release before going on my iPhone 6.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
It hasn't been so awful for me. There are some bugs that I can easily replicate so I just work around them. It's not as good as iOS 8, but much better than iOS 7.

Reactions: The Doctor11

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Me. Have done since 8.4b1 on my 6+ and have upgraded to beta 1.

Life is too short to wait for stable releases which aren't that stable anyway. :p
Love this.
We DON'T have time to wait. Why not enjoying new things as they come out, while you don't really need to spend much, except time?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Lots of great information here for someone considering the beta program for the first time such as myself.

So far it seems the list of possible issues one might encounter on this beta are:

• lagginess
  • app crashes
  • occasional resprings
  • battery drain
Is there anything currently being reported that I'm missing?

Also just wondering if anyone from experience can tell me -- are there any catastrophic risks associated with beta testing iOS? Like total data loss or damaged hardware? With regular backups, the former shouldn't be an issue, but if betas can potentially brick a device, that would be a cause for concern.

Thanks and happy testing!
Currently there is little possibilities bricking your device, although, testing new beta iOS will pollute your iCloud backup, rendering them completely unavailable for restoring to iOS version prior than this beta.

Reactions: darcyf

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
With the exception of Multitasking which is limited to the iPad and severely limited except for the iPad Air 2, there are very few things in iOS 9 to get excited about.

News: meh.
Notes: meh.
Maps: meh. unless you live in a heavy public transit city.
Wallet: meh. we'll see but Apple Pay is slow adoption.
Carplay: meh. very limited.
Multitasking: YES! oh wait, limited.
Siri enhancements: meh, see this thread. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-proactive-siri-should-have-been.1891006/
Too many mehs, on your side. ;)
I like notes, because I think a touch screen device shouod allow users to draw sketch on screen without purchasing expensive professional software. (I know there are a lots of free ones, though.)
Multitasking...
I would better use this one under mac or pc.
Too many mehs, on my side, either. :(

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I've been running it on my iPad Mini (1st gen), for the most part not bad but as others have said battery is really suffering I have also found it to be sluggish at times. Which is intermittent. Overall not bad, but likely going to hold off until the next beta release before going on my iPhone 6.

How is iOS 9 on the Original iPad Mini? Is it much of an upgrade or since we don't get the PIP, or Multitasking features not worth it?

nostodnayr

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Mie Prefecture, Japan
I installed it with trepidation, but have kept it installed. Thankfully there were fewer API changes, so the slow-to-be-updated Japanese apps that I use for daily life work without alteration.

While it's enjoyable, I would probably go back to 8.4 if it didn't mean dealing with restoring backups. For now, it's fine as is.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I'm currently using it on my 6 Plus. Battery life is a real problem, but I'm going to brave it through until Beta 2 hoping there are some battery life improvements. Other than that, some minor crashes but nothing to make me switch back to a GM release.

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
How is iOS 9 on the Original iPad Mini? Is it much of an upgrade or since we don't get the PIP, or Multitasking features not worth it?

Overall not bad, some of the smaller tweaks are a nice improvement but really was looking forward to multitasking. Seriously considering a upgrade at this point.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Absolutely horrible. Even a little bit slower than the already unusable iOS8. Would not recommend installing until GM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.