Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Absolutely agree.
Updated back to iOS 8.4 beta 4, again.

Yeah, same here. 8.4b4 on my 6+, because battery life was dreadful (4 hours usage is not acceptable when normal is 8-12 for me).

El Cap though, solid as a rock (pun not intended). Way better than any "stable" version of Yosemite where Mission Control loved to lag after a few hours and the only thing that fixed it was a reboot. I have days of uptime with El Cap already and MC is as fluid as ever. Fantastic stuff for a beta 1.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Yeah, same here. 8.4b4 on my 6+, because battery life was dreadful (4 hours usage is not acceptable when normal is 8-12 for me).

El Cap though, solid as a rock (pun not intended). Way better than any "stable" version of Yosemite where Mission Control loved to lag after a few hours and the only thing that fixed it was a reboot. I have days of uptime with El Cap already and MC is as fluid as ever. Fantastic stuff for a beta 1.
I've been very impressed with iOS 9's speed, battery issues aside. And I love the font, hence why I'm still using it instead of going back to 8.4. If iOS 9 beta will not have the new Apple Music app for a while, I'm going to switch back to 8.4 because I want to start using it.
El Cap is so impressive. I'm running it on a '11 MBP that struggled with basic things like Mission Control and Notification Center on Yosemite, and it doesn't feel like I'm running a Beta 1. I'm a huge fan so far.

Reactions: zulgand04

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
There reason I'm using it daily because I updated my Apple Watch to OS2.0 and I have to be on IOS9, there is no way to downgrade the watch, if there was I'd go back to 8.3 because iOS9 is so sluggish and slow.....not to mention the battery life.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
There reason I'm using it daily because I updated my Apple Watch to OS2.0 and I have to be on IOS9, there is no way to downgrade the watch, if there was I'd go back to 8.3 because iOS9 is so sluggish and slow.....not to mention the battery life.
Upgrade or clean install? I did an upgrade and didn't notice any slowness. Battery life was bad though.

Reactions: nheilweil

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I'm usually like you OP, I suffer through the initial betas no matter what. I had to go back to 8.4 because my battery life was like 2 hours... The phone was hot all the time I just couldn't do it.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Overall not bad, some of the smaller tweaks are a nice improvement but really was looking forward to multitasking. Seriously considering a upgrade at this point.
I was looking forward to the multitasking, mostly PIP, too but was disappointed when I saw that only the iPad Mini 2+ would be getting it. I've been considering upgrading to the larger iPad for a while now. I love the size of my Mini but the entire Mini line has become Apple's step child. Why get two year old technology at today's new prices.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Absolutely horrible. Even a little bit slower than the already unusable iOS8. Would not recommend installing until GM.
iOS 8 on my first gen Mini is not unusable. I even dropped my jailbreak for 8.4 and noticed everything got very quick and snappy. Especially for an older device. Noticed the same thing on my iPad 2 (test dummy for the iPad mini).

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I've been using iOS 9 as a daily driver, but only because my backup got overwritten.
There are bugs everywhere, personal hotspot over wifi hardly works, the occasional hangups etc.
Hanging on for beta 2 ;)

As for El Cap, I like the graphics performance so far and I seem to run out of RAM much less often doing the same things on my 13" rMBP, however there are issues plaguing Safari such as pages not loading requiring a restart, the "Page was reloaded because of a problem" dialog which almost made me laugh since I see it on my 6+ ever so often, Messages have issues - not loading properly every time, I could go on and on ;)

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
anyone having issues with Carplay? was thinking about getting iOS 9 on my daily driver, but i use Carplay everyday on my drive to work.

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
My issue is that when I am in SMS and click on the camera app and try to take a photo, its just dreadful. Screen goes blank and just hangs. I keep taking pictures but doesnt seem to get recorded anywhere. Just hangs for like 10 seconds and then the Message app crashes. Cant wait for Beta 2 to come fast

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
iOS 8 on my first gen Mini is not unusable. I even dropped my jailbreak for 8.4 and noticed everything got very quick and snappy. Especially for an older device. Noticed the same thing on my iPad 2 (test dummy for the iPad mini).
Very quick and snappy? You sure you don’t have the mini 2?
Because it’s not just that mine isn’t anywhere near quick or snappy it is simply not usable

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Currently using public beta iOS 8.4 but will upgrade to iOS 9 public when it comes out. Features are awesome and I don't care if it glitches the odd time, i'm used to helping my mom with her android... now thats what you call a lot of glitches. I would download the the Dev beta but don't see a reason to renew my subscription right now.

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Anyone as crazy as me?
I install El Capitan, insider preview 10, and iOS 9 beta 1, on all my only and primary devices including phone, pad, Mac...
;)
New emoji looks ugly. :(

Almost! I have 10 preview on my MacBook Pro and el capitan as well. Both are super smooth. Task view is awesome in windows 10 preview, can't remember the last time I actually enjoyed using a windows system, mad props to Microsoft.

Still somewhat hesitant about iOS 9 though. Think I will jump on the band wagon this weekend.

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I was looking forward to the multitasking, mostly PIP, too but was disappointed when I saw that only the iPad Mini 2+ would be getting it. I've been considering upgrading to the larger iPad for a while now. I love the size of my Mini but the entire Mini line has become Apple's step child. Why get two year old technology at today's new prices.

Total bs apple doesn't allow multi by default on other devices. Since it is baked into iOS 9 I would think a tweak would be super easy to create - once 9 is jail broken. There were a few tweaks out there for 8 that worked well.

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
Was in the Apple Store today to get my watch sent away to be reset to 1.01 and according to the genius its mobile/cellular data that's causing the battery issues in beta 1

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Almost! I have 10 preview on my MacBook Pro and el capitan as well. Both are super smooth. Task view is awesome in windows 10 preview, can't remember the last time I actually enjoyed using a windows system, mad props to Microsoft.

Still somewhat hesitant about iOS 9 though. Think I will jump on the band wagon this weekend.
And even Windows 10 is really solid - I cannot say it is super solid, though.
And El Capitan looks much tougher than Yosemite. I think I can use a more stable Mac OS X finally (?).
Only iOS 9 is still a hell of a mess. Looking forward to the next beta!

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I have been running the betas since iOS 3 (back when it was still called iPhone OS) onwards. It's on my main phone but I tend to work around the bugs. Why not run a beta if you can deal with the bugs?

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Very quick and snappy? You sure you don’t have the mini 2?
Because it’s not just that mine isn’t anywhere near quick or snappy it is simply not usable
My iPad Mini is black (first gen only had black and silver). I find it useable. Obviously not as smooth as the newer devices (Parents have the iPad Air 2). But good for Clash of Clans, Youtube, Light Internet browsing, and Video watching.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Total bs apple doesn't allow multi by default on other devices. Since it is baked into iOS 9 I would think a tweak would be super easy to create - once 9 is jail broken. There were a few tweaks out there for 8 that worked well.
I had the exact same thought. When I had VideoPane on my iPad Mini 1st Gen I didnt feel it had any trouble. I could go without the Multitasking features for just the Picture-in-Picture and I would be very happy.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I've been running iOS betas as my daily driver since iPhone OS 3. So yes I'm running iOS 9 on my iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, and El Capitan on my MacBook Air, and WatchOS 2 on my Apple Watch all of which are my heaviest used devices. Sometimes its hard to do work on betas but eh that's life.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I've been running iOS betas as my daily driver since iPhone OS 3. So yes I'm running iOS 9 on my iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, and El Capitan on my MacBook Air, and WatchOS 2 on my Apple Watch all of which are my heaviest used devices. Sometimes its hard to do work on betas but eh that's life.
Compare to the new features, as long as there is no significant horrible issue impacting the usability of devices, new beta is worth trying than holding on formal software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.