Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Anybody? How long do you think people - geeks left aside - are keeping their phones?
The majority of smartphone users doesn’t upgrade yearly or every other year.

So yes, not doing an annual upgrade is the norm for most.

Reactions: Lwii2boo

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Honestly, as much as I love the new colors and design - I don’t know if it’s worth it this year. I’ve been tempted a few times though, but my 11 pro is still such a beast of a phone. I just paid for it outright last year too. Ugh. Anyone else in the same boat?

I have to say the 12 series of phones actually made me feel more content with my 11 Pro Max, lol, for some reason I am even happier with it.

I want to play with the 12 Pro Max in real life to make my mind up though, but looking at what they bring, nothing makes me feel the need to upgrade.

The Xs Max to 11 Pro Max upgrade at least had:
- The huge Battery upgrade that was really needed and has now made iPhone very competitive
- Added Wide Angle lens Camera which made iPhone camera finally more versatile
- Fast Charger in the box
- WiFi 6 support added

The only thing I would want from 12 Pro Max is the slightly larger display with smaller bezel and new design, but otherwise I’m not fussed about 5G as it’s still rolling out where I am and I have 2 5G Android phones that are not even able to take advantage of the network yet due to limited to rollout, lol.

So yeah I’ll probably be sticking with my 11 Pro Max.

With that said is just me or will the 12 series look a lot like the 11 series when in a case? Lol
When I am saw the Good Morning America slot on Social media about iPhone 12 for a moment I was like “Wtf, it looks like she’s holding iPhone 11 Pro there on the left side (her right)” then when the light hit the LiDAR sensor I was like “OOOH, there we go!”
2b37d0a52bac1e8fb64001370da397d4.jpg

I think I’ll wait for the 13 series or at least until they shift to 3nm chips, I feel like the A14 is also not a big jump from A13. But yeah need to play with 12 Pro Max in real life first to make an absolute final decision.

Overall the 12 series seems to be a nice jump for those coming from a Xs Max, that’s my initial thought.

Last edited:

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I see very little reason to upgrade every year unless someone is already in an upgrade program.

For iPhone X or Xs/Xr holders however you have much better performance, larger screens, wifi 6, faster charging, etc

Lots of reasons to upgrade !

Reactions: gpoop

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Definitely keeping my 11 Pro Max for the time being. Apple taking the charger and earbuds out the box is just a cash grab. I feel like Apple are moving away from what they use to be, they use to offer one iPhone now there are all different models and colours, a far cry away from what Steve Jobs did with Apple.

I also don’t think the upgrade from my 11 Pro Max would be that big, the battery life is still great and easily lasts me a day.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
My 11 Pro is the most perfect electronic device I have ever owned...it does everything so perfectly well, and it's still in as-new condition. The 12 Pro does not look to be all that different from my 11 Pro other than looking more cosmetically attractive...real world speeds for my usage would probably not be any different. Apple did such a great job with this phone that I don't plan to update for a while.

Reactions: Robbosan

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
I had to. Because I have three options to update (Mini, 12, 12pro , the max is out, too big for me.), all of them with pros and cons and I have the overwhelming feeling that whatever I would take the next day I will regret it. Damn you, Apple!
Never since 2012 I was so torn between these three options.

Reactions: Robbosan

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I am for now, If the 12 pro was same size as my 11 pro i would swap, i can make $300, and pay the same as now and get a much bigger/better plan, but i don't want another Xr size phone.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I was hoping for 120Hz, never happened so I'll keep my 11 Pro another year.

To me it felt like they just sanded down the sides on an 11 Pro and put some magnets in the back. The 5G thing I couldn't care less about, already get 100Mb 4G where I am and on my phone for what I need that's plenty to be honest.

Reactions: Wonkyf3ck

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Yeah, I like how it looks with this form factor. I was set on the mini before, but it’s small and the battery is small (which is a given). Basically when I saw the 12 was lighter than the X and that was the perfect weight, I went for it.

What colour?

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Grabbed me a 12. The 11 Pro has been solid for me the past year, but I can’t get over the weight of it.

I agree. It's a big negative point for me that the 12 Pro is noticeably heavier than regular 12. I like big screen but I hate heavy phone.
Even at same price point I would go for regular 12 because of weight and don't care about telephoto. Usually I was always attracted towards Pro models just because of OLED and thinner bezels.

This year Pro model provide real added value ofc but to a lot more niche audience.

Reactions: MisterMillz

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I agree. It's a big negative point for me that the 12 Pro is noticeably heavier than regular 12. I like big screen but I hate heavy phone.
Even at same price point I would go for regular 12 because of weight and don't care about telephoto. Usually I was always attracted towards Pro models just because of OLED and thinner bezels.

This year Pro model provide real added value ofc but to a lot more niche audience.

I agree. and I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t need the “pro” models anymore. The 12 does exactly what I need and is packed with features. I was about to get the SE 2020, but glad I waited.

Reactions: MisterMillz

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
I have an 11 Pro Max 256gb and it seems I could make about $300. Getting 5g reminds me of when I was geeking out when 4g was coming out and I’d be excited to see 4g show up on my phone. That and my friend just got a new Note with 5g, although LTE on my phone was about the same speed. I like the new design and I like the blue color, and camera improvements are nice.

That said I can’t bring myself to do it. From my XS to the 11 was small but night mode was a huge upgrade! Even then the only reason I upgraded was cuz my dad needed a new phone so he got my XS Max and I got the 11 Pro Max. This time around as much as I like the upgrades there’s nothing really compelling that’s making me want to switch.

My battery life is also at 91%, however the battery still lasts a good while for me. Being home this year and having CarPlay probably help with keeping the phone charged though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.