Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I have ordered the 12 Pro but am on the fence about whether to cancel and keep my 11 Pro Max or not.

The 11 Pro Max has been a constant balance between loving the large screen but recognising the heft and then with the 12 the Pro Max version is slightly bigger still.

I am fearing I'll sell on my Pro Max and get the 12 and then regret the size reduction. In these Covid times use out and about has decreased a lot anyway

This is me. The only thing keeping me on the Max is the battery life. Since it's not improved this year it's either going to be the 12 Max or keeping my 11 Max.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
So being on the iPhone Upgrade program, I was tempted to upgrade my phone. I was on it for my 7 Plus and realized two years later when I upgraded to the XS, two years was a waste and if I was going to upgrade I may as well do it every year so I got the 11 last year. I would likely be more tempted had they released on time but I am not seeing a reason to part with my 11 other than "I want it". The 11 takes great pictures and does everything I want it to. Think I am going to keep it and enjoy it for another year.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Well, I just discovered I use my telephoto lens about 1 in every 5 photos I take, which is a lot more than I realized. I've already ordered a 12 but now I'm debating whether I should upgrade to a Pro Max (because if I'm going to get a Pro I'm going to get the one with the better camera) or just holding onto my 11 Pro. Decisions, decisions...

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Honestly, as much as I love the new colors and design - I don’t know if it’s worth it this year. I’ve been tempted a few times though, but my 11 pro is still such a beast of a phone. I just paid for it outright last year too. Ugh. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yes, I paid for my 11 pro max (256 GB) outright (after trading in my iPhone X for 500 credit). I am trying to hold out until next year with the 120 HZ and 5G being more widely available in my area. Imagine, if the iPhone 12 is this impressive, the 12 S or iPhone 13 will be amazing too. Plus, I am lowkey hoping that next years phone will magically bring back touch ID or some kind of finger print unlocking on the screen.

Last edited:

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
I went from definitely not upgrading my 11 Pro to upgrading. Then I went back again and decided to keep my 11 pro. I can't blame Apple because I have a 12 month old phone and am expecting massive changes, that isn't really fair.

We're in tier 3 lockdown here and pretty much stuck in probably until after winter, so I wouldn't get to experience 5G which does have some coverage here. And most of the stuff I'd do on my iPhone I've got covered on my laptop or iPad here for at home. I've even taken off my mobile data from my watch as I don't need it right now.

I've finally decided that I will go for the 12s or 13 or whatever they call it next year instead. I'd imagine any little quirks would have been sorted then and there will be plenty of real world reviews on MagSafe and accessories. On the subject of magssafe, if you really haven't mastered placing your iPhone on a qi charger yet, and most of us got that after a few tries, for a few pence you could stick some small plastic lego pieces to the qi charger so your phone slots right in. I've just saved you a lot of hassle, you're welcome.

The cash grab does annoy but that's business these days. I'd have liked Apple to have offered those trading in their old devices with an opportunity to include their old Usb charger in the return box with their old phone and receive a discount code on a new Usb C charger. That could all have been done on the order and right now people could be sitting at home with a heavily discounted USB C charger awaiting their new iPhone. That would have been a genuine attempt at helping the environment in my opinion and given Apple a little bit of goodwill.

Reactions: tomtattoo

etkuo

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
I am keeping my 11 Pro Max.

I tend to upgrade my iPhone every 2 years.

The 12 Pro Max is very tempting. I want the slightly larger and better screen, and the new body design.

I could care less about the 5G. LTE is fast enough for me during day-to-day use. It's not like I constantly need to download large files or stream over the cellular network.

Although the camera on the 11 Pro Max is pretty good already, the camera on the 12 Pro looks like another major update. I am in the airline industry and normally I take a lot of photos when I fly and when I travel during my personal time. However, this won't be happening in the next year. So I won't get to use the new camera on the 12 Pro anyways.

So then the only new improvement for me will be the slightly larger and better screen, and the new body design.

With my temporary layoff, I can't justify spending money on another phone. I will wait for next year and hopefully it will have
- ProMotion 120Hz display
- Maybe TouchID on the button along with FaceID
- Plus any further updates they will bring next year

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I think most people should keep their 11 series phones unless you find a stellar upgrade deal

As has been typical since 2016 or so, year to year upgrades are no longer worth it the way they arguably once were

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
Watched a few reviews last night a couple did mention the sharper sides being less comfortable which was something I had an eye on, will probably be a bigger issue on the max. They look so much better IMO but the last squared off phone I had was not comfortable.

I am still umming and arring over cancelling my order, luckily mine is not due to next week so I have time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.