Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Oh, I wasn’t aware you could try them on. I’m assuming you have to ask an employee to try them on? I’ve never seen them out on demo.

Yes you need to ask, they keep a demo pair in a desk with a bunch of extra tips that they put on gloves for and get for you.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Ah good to know. As long as they’re fresh tips I might give it a try.

fresh for sure, they take each out of a sealed case. I think they don’t want to advertise that is cause it costs them money for tips.. lol As cheap as that sounds for a trillion dollar company.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
fresh for sure, they take each out of a sealed case. I think they don’t want to advertise that is cause it costs them money for tips.. lol As cheap as that sounds for a trillion dollar company.
They probably invest the little bit of money into those small tips in hopes you’ll buy a pair. :p

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I returned mine for two reasons:

1) it’s not worth it for me since I had the old AirPods still and the sound quality was fairly the same. Yes the sound proofing was nice, BUT problem #2 was the kicker

2) If I ran on the treadmill, it would start to come off my ear and I had to keep readjusting it constantly. It was fine though when I did weights, but cardio is half of my workout. I tried different ear tips but it told me on the test that it didn’t fit my ear.

If my old AirPods break and they fix the “sliding out” while I do cardio, it would be worth the $250 for the pro’s over the regular AirPods for sure.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
That's why I wish you were able to try them on and hear them in the store. It's gross, yes, which is probably one of the reasons don't have them out. But that's one of the reasons I haven't gotten AirPods yet. I don't know how they feel / sound.
Actually Apple store near me does have the try-ons available for those to test out before they buy. They also have bins of alcohol swabs to clean out after each use.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
The tips they use in store will be wiped down repacked and sold. Don’t be fooled by the throw away into the bins. The tips will be emptied from the bins at the end of shift to sell on.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The tips they use in store will be wiped down repacked and sold. Don’t be fooled by the throw away into the bins. The tips will be emptied from the bins at the end of shift to sell on.

No way... Not Apple

Look, I'm as critical as can be of Apple at times, but there's no way I'm buying that they repackage used tips and sell them.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
No way... Not Apple

Look, I'm as critical as can be of Apple at times, but there's no way I'm buying that they repackage used tips and sell them.
Yeah, I don't think they would be repackaged and sold as new. Cleaned and then reused as demos? Perhaps.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I’m struggling with whether to return them. I can’t get a good seal and don’t feel the noise cancelling is that good. I walked along a busy street yesterday and could clearly hear the traffic with music playing though the noise was subdued. i don’t believe my APP’s are defective. I tried the Sony’s but, they won’t stay in my ears and aren’t as comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
hether to return them. I can’t get a good seal and don’t feel the noise cancelling is that good. I walked along a busy street yesterday and could clearly hear the traffic with music playing though the noise was subdued. i don’t believe my APP’s are defective. I tried the Sony’s but, they won’t stay in my ears and aren’t as comfortable.
I would return them and request a replacement. I couldn't get a seal ether. Got a fresh set and I get a seal every time.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

no way bro, no way they would sell those! When I tried on Power Beats pro I saw them go into the trash. But then again it could have not been the trash I guess.

Reactions: jbachandouris

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
no way bro, no way they would sell those! When I tried on Power Beats pro I saw them go into the trash. But then again it could have not been the trash I guess.
My point being they know what bin to throw tips and other reusable things into. Normal rubbish will get thrown into a different bin as not reusable.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
No way... Not Apple

Yeah, I don't think they would be repackaged and sold as new. Cleaned and then reused as demos? Perhaps.

I can't see it being worth the expense to ship used silicone tips back to Apple to have them cleaned and repackaged. It's probably way less expensive to just make new ones and recycle the used ones.

I could see them cleaning and re-using demos, but I'm not sure even that is worth the effort or the risk of bad press if someone (customer or employee) tweets a photo of a filthy tip from an Apple store. The cost of implementing a standard cleansing routine is probably enough to make Apple decide "You know what... we can just produce more little silicone tips for less money and effort."

For refurbs.... who knows? Again I don't think they want to risk shipping out a dirty tip.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I'm on the fence. These are my first pair of AirPods, and the convenience of them is just amazing. Being able to just put them in your ears or take them out with no worrying about turning them on or connecting them to devices (besides when switching) is great. I also really love that they charge in the case. No fumbling with a cord except maybe once a week, and I could even avoid a cord altogether if I use my wireless charger. Sound cancellation mode and transparency mode are also super convenient. I also like the look of them on me better than any other headphones I've worn before. They are also the most comfortable pair of earbuds I've used.

However, I was expecting the sound quality to be better. And I don't feel that much more content or satisfied with these than the $30 bluetooth headphones I was using before. The convenience is awesome, but is it worth $250 alone? I don't think so. But I'm also afraid of returning them, wanting them again, and having to wait so long to get them.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I’m returning mine because, I think the noise cancelling is weak. Especially compared to the Sony in ear noise cancelling rea buds.

I agree with you here.

I got to spend some time with some in the Apple Store for 20 or 30 minutes yesterday and I left not really desiring them.

I found them to be just clunky enough to insert and get going with versus normal AirPods but then on the other hand I found the noise canceling to be substantially less complete then over the year more serious noise canceling cans…

Ultimately there’s no substitute for getting a pair and trying them in my real world scenarios for a couple weeks, so I will still probably do that when the holiday return window starts soon

Reactions: jbachandouris

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
I’m throwing in the towel. I wanted to love them. I enjoyed the sound quality and the noise cancellation a lot but at this price point I find it incredibly annoying that the seal loosens up and they keep falling out of my ears.

Reactions: Replevin

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Ok its been about a week since I got them. I’m keeping them. They’re really handy with ANC Turned on. Enjoyed using them throughout the week. I’m getting used to wearing them.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I’ve had mine for 3 days now and keeping them. My ears felt a bit tender on the first day after the first hour of use, but after a couple of days I’m already using them nearly all day without an issue. I’ve handed my OG AirPods to my younger daughter and I gave my older daughter the option of buying AirPods 2 or Pro for her birthday next month. She’s used my OG AirPods before and tried the Pros for a while. When she first saw the tips, she wasn’t sure about them, but after trying them for an hour, she was sold. She didn’t have any soreness. So now hers are on order.

Reactions: TravisPNW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.