Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I picked up the new AirPods today hoping for something that would “wow” me enough to justify the cost. My v1 AirPods have worked flawless since day one but I wanted something new after using them for almost two years. Well, the new AirPods are nice but they definitely require a little more finagling every time I put them in my ears. Strike one.... Maybe it’s just my 51 year old ears being worn out but I barely notice any difference in sound quality between old and new. Strike two.... The $250 price tag was a hard pill to swallow but I gave it a shot. But in the end, coughing up $250, negligible difference in improved sound quality and the extra effort involved each and every time I insert them them in my ears. Strike three....

They’re going back. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Exactly the opposite.

The silicon airbuds were why I went with the Pros. The originals just weren't comfortable. The design change alone isn't enough to justify a $250 price tag though.

The noise cancellation is however.

I'm assuming you didn't notice that though because outside of your apparent struggle to insert them in your ears which presumably means you don't like the new design you only mentioned what the Pros have in common with the originals and not the upgrades like noise cancellation.

To each their own. :)

Reactions: Lyn2012

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
I returned my APP and went back to the 2nd gen, here are my reasons

1) sound quality isn’t much better on the APP, in fact, I find the mids and bass worse than my 2nd gen

2) ear pain- regardless of which ear tips I used, I had constant ear cartilage pain and headache after extended use; this was not an issue with the previous gens

while I appreciate the ANC, the reasons listed above are dealbreakers for me
Do you think the ear pain, headache was from the ANC? ANC is known to cause headaches, dizzines, nausea, etc. in some.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I’m throwing in the towel. I wanted to love them. I enjoyed the sound quality and the noise cancellation a lot but at this price point I find it incredibly annoying that the seal loosens up and they keep falling out of my ears.

Same here. They sound great but it's like my ears are pushing them out and they continually loosen. I've had 1st gen AirPods since day one and they have never fallen out but I've only been using the pro's around the house because they fall out so often. They are going back this week.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
returning mine this Sunday, I have the defect where the left pod isn't charging even though it is connected. For the price , the quality of these APP is a joke, there is a whole thread on this issue so you guys can reference that.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
do not put anything into your ear that has been out in a public environment

GreenLightLuke

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
The tips they use in store will be wiped down repacked and sold. Don’t be fooled by the throw away into the bins. The tips will be emptied from the bins at the end of shift to sell on.
Apple absolutely do not reuse and repackage any tips that are used. I’ve done a gazillion try ons for customers and they are taken off and chucked in the bin. End of. Alcohol wipes are used and are again used at the end of the day on all earphones customers can try on.

to the threads point though, I bought a pair of Airpods Pro and in the same boat. The right seems to fit perfect but I can feel the left loosen when I move my jaw. Definitely more fiddly than the original Airpods. I’m keeping mine for at least 14 days to see if the ANC is worth the extra fiddling.

Reactions: Costino1

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
i think i'm gonna keep them. The NC is a life saver in some specific moment. The only thing that make me hesisate in keeping is the call audio quality. Don't know why (the mic?) and if it's just a suggestion but ... the APP call audio (receiver side) seems a little worse then then the airpods 2. Any feedback on this point?

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
Do you think the ear pain, headache was from the ANC? ANC is known to cause headaches, dizzines, nausea, etc. in some.
Ear pain is from the large plastic earbud pressing against my cartilage
Headache is probably from both cartilage pain and pressure built up from ANC

either way, I am much happier with the original AirPods. I can wear them for 5 hours straight without any pain

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
to the threads point though, I bought a pair of Airpods Pro and in the same boat. The right seems to fit perfect but I can feel the left loosen when I move my jaw. Definitely more fiddly than the original Airpods. I’m keeping mine for at least 14 days to see if the ANC is worth the extra fiddling.

That’s my experience too. I’m going to use my APPs on some flights this week to check out the ANC vs my Boss 20s. The APPs seem nice enough that I’ll probably keep them. The 20s are fantastic, except the cord is a pain.

I’ll probably pass my Beats Studio 3s to my sister. The ANC and audio quality are fine on the Beats, but the earcups are too shallow and apply pressure on my ear cartilage, causing headaches after about an hour.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
That’s my experience too. I’m going to use my APPs on some flights this week to check out the ANC vs my Boss 20s. The APPs seem nice enough that I’ll probably keep them. The 20s are fantastic, except the cord is a pain.

I’ll probably pass my Beats Studio 3s to my sister. The ANC and audio quality are fine on the Beats, but the earcups are too shallow and apply pressure on my ear cartilage, causing headaches after about an hour.

Sell them all and get the Bose 700, brilliant, you can adjust ANC from 0-10 in the app.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I returned mine. They were very nice but just not enough bass for me. Im sticking with my Bose soundsport free and my Bose quietcomfort 35.

Reactions: Sajal

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone will all the ridiculous hype and positive reviews.

I took mine back after getting the Amazon Echo Buds (which I actually ordered first) and realized they were much better. The APP don't fit particularly well, are not particularly comfortable, and don't sound particularly good.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Mine will be shipped back to Apple tomorrow morning. They’re just so uncomfortable, but I love everything else about them. OG AirPods are the most comfortable earbud/headphone I’ve ever worn and I’m happy to get back to them.

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Ear pain is from the large plastic earbud pressing against my cartilage
Headache is probably from both cartilage pain and pressure built up from ANC

either way, I am much happier with the original AirPods. I can wear them for 5 hours straight without any pain
Good to know. I’m one of those people who’s sensitive to ANC, unfortunately, even though the tech would be very useful to me. No reviews I’ve seen have mentioned that ANC can do this to people, and they should. I’m crossing my fingers when I do give the Pros a test drive for a little while that everything goes smoothly.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Weird. I see all these people saying they are returning due to ear pain and lack of comfort. You're not inserting them like Qtips are you? LOL

I dunno... I've been using silicon tipped earbuds for years and these are no different. No pain and quite comfortable. It just strikes me as odd how a silicon tip can cause pain especially in 3 different sizes.

Whatever... love mine. Worked all weekend 30+ hours and had them in the entire time other than when I removed them for charging.

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017
Returned - refund issued. Shape change in AirPod Pro's caused ear pain and were not workable for me.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Returned hated them they hurt AirPods 2 sound better and they gave me massive headaches
[automerge]1573488197[/automerge]
This is the first year I haven’t kept a latest gen product

Last edited:

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Returned them due to poor fit and ear pain. Opted for Bose 700 headphones and couldn't be more pleased. Absolutely the most comfortable to my ears, but the biggest factor for me beyond the ear pain was the call quality. The call quality on the APP is just decent, if not below average. Call quality on the Bose 700 is just outstanding and for me that was the key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.