Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you or will you not return the iPad mini 6 due to the recent reported issues?

• NO! I will keep the iPad mini 6

Votes: 112 61.2%
  • I plan to switch the mini 6 for another iPad such as the air or pro

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Yes I have returned or will rerun the iPad mini 6

Votes: 61 33.3%

• Total voters

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Just out of curiosity (i cannot see it) what exactly does the jelly scrolling effect hurt or stop you from doing?

It's more mental. People want their devices to be perfect in every way, and a defect, perceived or real, will bother them. A form of OCD. A little jelly, small bit of blooming, a wobbly button. Still works perfectly fine, but the small imperfections will bother people incredibly. Some people will r]exchange a device 4 or 5 times to get s "perfect" one.

People need to chill.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah thats what I'm saying though - I am not someone thats super picky about screen quality (which is why im not upgrading my 12PM to get promotion, I think the display is fantastic and can switch between it and my ipad pro without issue). However, the Mini 6 screen that I experienced was noticeably bad compared to other '60hz' screens in my life, even worse than the older ipad my mother uses. Something is definitely off about them, and the fact that so many people dont notice anything at all makes me wonder if theres some units out there (like mine) that are just really bad.

The problem is that we're talking about a subjective evaluation so all of these postings about the display being good or bad are individuals perceptions, mine included. There may indeed be differences between units but so far there is only some anecdotal "evidence" on this forum. To answer your question, there is certainly a possibility of quality differences, just no real proof at this point.

Reactions: RickTaylor

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Just out of curiosity (i cannot see it) what exactly does the jelly scrolling effect hurt or stop you from doing?

Using an app where I would read and study a lot in portrait mode. Everytime I'd scroll even a little there's the jelly with text tilting. I just can't be bothered with something like that on a device that expensive. Some people think it's just nitpicking/OCD, but I've read how some people even get headaches/nauseousness from it. Mind you, this is a device I wanted for many years and I would have been able to forgive pretty much anything, except for this. It still feels surreal that Apple chose this time to change the refresh orientation.

TheKommunist

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
Using an app where I would read and study a lot in portrait mode. Everytime I'd scroll even a little there's the jelly with text tilting. I just can't be bothered with something like that on a device that expensive. Some people think it's just nitpicking/OCD, but I've read how some people even get headaches/nauseousness from it. Mind you, this is a device I wanted for many years and I would have been able to forgive pretty much anything, except for this. It still feels surreal that Apple chose this time to change the refresh orientation.
It boggles my mind that people think we should be accepting compromises for a device thats this expensive. Ill never understand it.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It's more mental. People want their devices to be perfect in every way, and a defect, perceived or real, will bother them. A form of OCD. A little jelly, small bit of blooming, a wobbly button. Still works perfectly fine, but the small imperfections will bother people incredibly. Some people will r]exchange a device 4 or 5 times to get s "perfect" one.

People need to chill.
Well I am readily using my Mini 6 all the time while some here complain about it being expensive now. Expensive is different to everyone, try buying a new perfect 14"/16" MBP instead of this fairly cheap iPad. :D

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021

For me, I do a ton of reading across various websites and wanted to read more on the kindle app. Maybe I’m extra sensitive to it, but the jelly scroll is strong enough that I can see it even while scrolling gradually. Most of the time I do fast/flick scrolling where it’s even more visible.

If I kept reading for too long, it would cause me eyestrain and gave me a little motion sickness—the same kind I get while trying to read in a moving car.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015

People need to chill.
That's a good way to put it. For Apple stuff, it's the notch for me, I can't stand it, I don't ever want to see a notch on a device again. And yes, I know it's OCD, but what can you do. I don't chill well. (That's also OCD talking)

While that saves me a few thousand dollars on a new MBP, I was kind of looking forward to it, but no way. I can take the jelly and really have to focus to see it anyway, and I can take the blooming, though I'd prefer an OLED, but notch, no!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
That's a good way to put it. For Apple stuff, it's the notch for me, I can't stand it, I don't ever want to see a notch on a device again. And yes, I know it's OCD, but what can you do. I don't chill well. (That's also OCD talking)

While that saves me a few thousand dollars on a new MBP, I was kind of looking forward to it, but no way. I can take the jelly and really have to focus to see it anyway, and I can take the blooming, though I'd prefer an OLED, but notch, no!

Actually, I kinda got used to the notch. Not saying it's good, just...used to it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For me, I do a ton of reading across various websites and wanted to read more on the kindle app. Maybe I’m extra sensitive to it, but the jelly scroll is strong enough that I can see it even while scrolling gradually. Most of the time I do fast/flick scrolling where it’s even more visible.

If I kept reading for too long, it would cause me eyestrain and gave me a little motion sickness—the same kind I get while trying to read in a moving car.
I’ve been reading on mine in landscape on the iBooks app. I didn’t like portrait mode for reading and it has nothing to do with Jelly scroll. Because:

A) I don’t see it
B) I never even scrolled once because I did not like the layout in portrait mode from the get go and didn’t read a single word in portrait. Landscape is ok. I do prefer my kindle though.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd and LibbyLA

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
I’ve been reading on mine in landscape on the iBooks app. I didn’t like portrait mode for reading and it has nothing to do with Jelly scroll. Because:

A) I don’t see it
B) I never even scrolled once because I did not like the layout in portrait mode from the get go and didn’t read a single word in portrait. Landscape is ok. I do prefer my kindle though.

Hm, I don’t particularly favor reading in landscape for novels and fiction. Portrait mode ipad mini is exactly like a small book.

Maybe for PDFs or anything where you need more horizontal space, I’d use landscape.

Be happy you can’t see it cause it is truly obnoxious in portrait mode ?.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Is it possible that some models have a screen that's not as bad? I find it hard to believe that so many people dont notice the screen quality issues. I have an 11" ipad with pro motion and a 12 pro max, while I can immediately tell the difference in refresh rate its not like the screen on my 12PM is unusable, it looks perfectly smooth to me with no headache inducing jelly scroll or smearing in any orientation. I can switch between the two devices without any issues, though I can tell the screen on the ipad pro is smooth-er

On the flipside my Mini 6 which is set to be returned looked downright horrendous, but a poster above mentioned a different unit they got wasn't as bad. Makes me wonder if its my unit in particular that was really bad and if its worth gambling on buying models repeatedly until I find one with a display sourced from a different location.
While the Mini 6 screen isn't the best 60hz out there, comparing it to a OLED iPhone isn't the same as the reponse time on iPhones is enough to make 60hz extremely smooth vs the LCD iPads. Honestly, iPhones were the last thing that needed ProMotion and while the 120hz iPhones are noticeable to those with a keen eye, the 60hz are still some of the best.

TheKommunist

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
While the Mini 6 screen isn't the best 60hz out there, comparing it to a OLED iPhone isn't the same as the reponse time on iPhones is enough to make 60hz extremely smooth vs the LCD iPads. Honestly, iPhones were the last thing that needed ProMotion and while the 120hz iPhones are noticeable to those with a keen eye, the 60hz are still some of the best.
Yeah OLED probably makes 60hz on the iphone totally fine. However, I still maintain that the display used in the Mini 6 is noticeably worse than many other 60hz LCD devices I've used, and Apple certainly could have done much better with it even without introducing promotion or mini-LED for it. I think nobody would have minded at all if there was some jelly in landscape, but the decision to allow it to this degree in portrait mode is seriously questionable. I'm just really sad I can't have a mini for the near future :/

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020

May I ask what it is that you prefer with the dedicated ereader in comparison to the Mini?

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
May I ask what it is that you prefer with the dedicated ereader in comparison to the Mini?
Smaller, lighter, no distractions, easier on the eyes (front lit, not back lit).

One of these days, I may try the Kindle app on my Mini 6, but I like both of my Kindle Oasis. I have the first (smaller) and second gen (first larger one) Oasis. I actually like the tiny size of the first gen but try to use the second gen more because it has white text on black for night reading that I don’t think the first gen has.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Smaller, lighter, no distractions, easier on the eyes (front lit, not back lit).

One of these days, I may try the Kindle app on my Mini 6, but I like both of my Kindle Oasis. I have the first (smaller) and second gen (first larger one) Oasis. I actually like the tiny size of the first gen but try to use the second gen more because it has white text on black for night reading that I don’t think the first gen has.

I like the Kindle peoducts, but personally, I value one device does it all. I'll take a slightly diminished performance for the covenience of only needing one device.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020

The bolded ones are the reasons I'm getting a Kobo Sage. Hopefully it will be an overall nice experience, even if not as good as the Oasis. When it comes to maintaining focus over a longer time I think an ereader will be much better for me. I've tried enough times on other devices to realize how my mind works.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Update: as someone who returned a day 1 Mini 6 due to jelly scroll, I ordered another one from a retailer close by to see if a second one would be better. Now I know it's ultimately a hardware issue and maybe 15.1 did something (doubtful) but I swear this new one has less jellying. I was super sensitive to my first Mini as it was literal waves but this one is marginally better to the point you could almost overlook it. Does jelly still happen, yes, but if I were to quantify it my first Mini was a 9-10 on the jelly scale and this one is a 7-10 so definitely improved.

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy but this new one is definitely easier on the eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It’s the screen. I find tablets and other backlit/oled and LCD displays give em a headache if I stare at them for too long. The kindle is front lit and more comfortable on the eyes. Also there’s less distractions on a kindle because basically the only thing you can do on them is read. On a tablet there are ways of getting distracted.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It’s the screen. I find tablets and other backlit/oled and LCD displays give em a headache if I stare at them for too long. The kindle is front lit and more comfortable on the eyes. Also there’s less distractions on a kindle because basically the only thing you can do on them is read. On a tablet there are ways of getting distracted.

Interesting the different experiences people have. I've been reading a Kindle book for several hours today on the 2021 12.9 and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Gave the Oasis a try and had to set it aside.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I like the Kindle peoducts, but personally, I value one device does it all. I'll take a slightly diminished performance for the covenience of only needing one device.
When we go to our camp, I carry my iPad Pro 11 2021, my Mini 6, a Kindle Oasis, and sometimes my Surface Go 2. On a longer trip (e.g., a week at Christmas), I may add the iPad Pro 2018 (one for drawing in Procreate, one for watching tutorial videos). And a basketful of power packs since we have no electricity unless we run a generato, although I usually manage to keep most things charged through the camper’s cigarette lighter adapter.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
The bolded ones are the reasons I'm getting a Kobo Sage. Hopefully it will be an overall nice experience, even if not as good as the Oasis. When it comes to maintaining focus over a longer time I think an ereader will be much better for me. I've tried enough times on other devices to realize how my mind works.
There are a lot of squirrels in my world and it does not help my concentration when several of them are on an iPad.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
When we go to our camp, I carry my iPad Pro 11 2021, my Mini 6, a Kindle Oasis, and sometimes my Surface Go 2. On a longer trip (e.g., a week at Christmas), I may add the iPad Pro 2018 (one for drawing in Procreate, one for watching tutorial videos). And a basketful of power packs since we have no electricity unless we run a generato, although I usually manage to keep most things charged through the camper’s cigarette lighter adapter.
Are you planning on getting the new paperwhite. I’m thinking about it but I wouldn’t want to give up my oasis so then I’d have two kindles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.