Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Ive been seeing and experiencing lots of issues with the most recent Apple products in the last couple of years what us going on?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Ive been seeing and experiencing lots of issues...
It's intentionally vague, like your comment. You seem to have come to a conclusion without presenting any data. As Apple's market grows, a scientific assessment of problems would necessarily require data on failure rates that consider the number of devices manufactured and shipped. Random people complaining on the internet is not data.

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
It's intentionally vague, like your comment.
i meant by that comment i have seen many people elaborate on their issues and I have been experiencing issues with Apple devices over the past 5 years and never had an issue with products before 2017. All the way from overheating, crappy displays, battery issues, crap build quality

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
i meant by that comment i have seen many people elaborate on their issues and I have been experiencing issues with Apple devices over the past 5 years and never had an issue with products before 2017. All the way from overheating, crappy displays, battery issues, crap build quality
You mostly hear about the people who have a complaint rather than everyone who was perfectly happy with their purchase. While I'm not denying that you've had issues with your devices, you can't judge whether there is a major QC issue just by forum posts.

eg: Apple didn't suddenly issue a recall for MacBook's with faulty butterfly keyboards when a small (compared to how many people were buying them in total) group of people mentioned it on forums. They only issued a recall once they realised that it wasn't an isolated problem, they did this (presumably) by comparing how many were sold to the amount that were having to be repaired.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
You mostly hear about the people who have a complaint rather than everyone who was perfectly happy with their purchase. While I'm not denying that you've had issues with your devices, you can't judge whether there is a major QC issue just by forum posts.
I completely understand your point idk if I just look for problems and I can agree I probably know more about this than your average joe but I had to replace 3 14 pro's, 2 13 pro's, 12 pro and 11 pro all because of the yellow casted display and still never had a good display since the XS. I even had a conversation with a Apple Store employee telling me how Apple is aware of these "issues".

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Unlike the denialists, I’ll give you the actual answer: money.
Exactly, everybody on this forum is in the 0.0001% of iPhone users and we notice the issue but the other 99% don't and Apple can get away with this **** because the majority of the people don't know or care. And I'm sure these units the big websites and influencers use are cherry picked by apple

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
And I'm sure these units the big websites and influencers use are cherry picked by apple
Of course they would be cherry picked, every brand does that, however at the very beginning of the production run (eg: when they send the product to the media), Apple doesn't know about any problems yet. (apart from flexgate, which Apple knew about beforehand)

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Of course they would be cherry picked, every brand does that, however at the very beginning of the production run (eg: when they send the product to the media), Apple doesn't know about any problems yet. (apart from flexgate, which Apple knew about beforehand)
Of course, they know about these issues before hand, but Apple doesn't care because 99% don't know about some of these problems or even care, the 12 series with the whole yellow tint and green tint of course Apple knew about that before they were officially launched.

• Angry

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Lets see, and I admit it’s a very small sample.

- 2002 G3 iMac (power surge blew out motherboard)
- 2005 G4 eMac (disc drive door sometimes stuck. Sold in 2015)
- 4th GEN 8GB iPod Nano (battery died after 10 flawless years)
- 2011 21.5 iMac (upgraded and still using it)
- iPhone 4 (used as an iPod since 2017 until last summer before recycling)
- iPhone 6 (sold)
- iPhone 8+ (still using it)
- 7th GEN iPod Touch (bought last summer)
- 2015 iPad Air (recycled this week)
- 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 (sold last month)
- 2021 iPad 9th GEN 10.2 ( just bought for my mother for Christmas to replace 2015 iPad Air)
- 2022 iPad Air 5 (bought last month to replace my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5)
- Airport Express (used for five years before recycling)
- Airport Extreme (still using it)

So the iPod Nano is the only thing that quit, and that was after ten years of problem free use—can’t complain. My first iMac worked fine until an electrical surge blew the motherboard—not the computer’s fault. The 2015 iPad Air was getting too slow so it needed to be replaced.

Overall it’s been a relatively aggravation free experience.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I think it has to do with expectations.

I can’t prove that Apple has more problems than in the past, any more than I can prove that they have the same amount of issues as in the past.

What I could bet money on is that Apple has fostered an environment of high expectation within their customers, and so every little thing that goes wrong enflames the customers.

Plus… with cellphones now costing $999, people are darned justified to raise holy hell when things aren’t up to snuff.

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Lets see, and I admit it’s a very small sample.

- 2002 G3 iMac (power surge blew out motherboard)
- 2005 G4 eMac (disc drive door sometimes stuck. Sold in 2015)
- 4th GEN 8GB iPod Nano (battery died after 10 years)
- 2011 21.5 iMac (upgraded and still using it)
- iPhone 4 (used as an iPod until last summer before recycling)
- iPhone 6 (sold)
- iPhone 8+ (still using it)
- 7th GEN iPod Touch (bought last summer)
- 2015 iPad Air (recycled this week)
- 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 (sold last month)
- 2021 iPad 9th GEN 10.2 ( just bought for my mother for Christmas to replace 2015 iPad Air)
- 2022 iPad Air 5 (bought last month to replace my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5)
- Airport Express (used for five years before recycling)
- Airport Extreme (still using it)

So the iPod Nano is the only thing that quit, and that was after ten years of problem free use—can’t complain. My first iMac worked fine until an electrical surge blew the motherboard—not the computer’s fault. The 2015 iPad Air was getting too slow so it needed to be replaced.

Overall it’s been a relatively aggravation free experience.
Ill admit Ipad and Macbook have been completely painless for me, the problem is Iphones and apple watch for me

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
I think it has to do with expectations.

I can’t prove that Apple has more problems than in the past, any more than I can prove that they have the same amount of issues as in the past.

What I could bet money on is that Apple has fostered an environment of high expectation within their customers, and so every little thing that goes wrong enflames the customers.

Plus… with cellphones now costing $999, people are darned justified to raise holy hell when things aren’t up to snuff.
I bet 99% of the population doesn't care, I see people with phones walking around with yellow tints (yeah I look) and none of them care. I feel like 11 pro was the downfall of quality

• Haha

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Not denying the issue here but how can you be sure that every yellow tint you see is a hardware issue and not Night Shift?
their a difference between yellow tint because of a defect and nightshift the problem is these phones are being calibrated at 6100-6200k or at the standard of 6500k but lacking blue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.