Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Because apple’s main motive is to decrease costs and increase margin and profits

There is an macrumors article stating apple engineers are focused on reducing costs in fabrication

Apple is the richest company in the whole world , first to cross the trillion, and yet they milk the cow like a freaking beggar

Just look at recent price increases , battery just got 20-30% more expensive come on

**** you tim

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
i meant by that comment i have seen many people elaborate on their issues and I have been experiencing issues with Apple devices over the past 5 years and never had an issue with products before 2017. All the way from overheating, crappy displays, battery issues, crap build quality
Apple went downhill when Scott Forstall left. He was the hidden genius behind Apple.

And also, Canada will claim the World Cup in 2023.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
How is it better than ever?
You're asking the wrong question. Quality control never was the issue, but quality by design. In the past Apple tried to create thin and light products with technologies that weren't there yet. ARM SoCs with a quarter of the energy consumption and heat dissipation of x86 will undoubtedly remove many of the problems all Macs had in the past. Another such issue is braided cables versus soft plastic. The latter ones always broke. It's not that a batch of cables with too much softener slipped through quality control, for decades all Apple cables were by design less durable than they needed to be. So the real question is, are current Apple products designed closer to the edge of the physical possible or further apart. And the answer is, it depends. If you buy AirPods or an Apple Watch, you better not expect them to last you a lifetime. But a current MacBook Air is no longer crippled by its thinness.

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
It's intentionally vague, like your comment. You seem to have come to a conclusion without presenting any data. As Apple's market grows, a scientific assessment of problems would necessarily require data on failure rates that consider the number of devices manufactured and shipped. Random people complaining on the internet is not data.
He isn’t complaining but asking others about their thoughts on an objective trend.
It’s no secret that quality control has plummeted since 2016.
OP doesn’t intend to present a data point (that wouldn’t be taken into consideration by Apple either I presume) but represent failed customers.
If you don’t know what to make of that and just call him complaining on the internet that is on you and your problem only.
This is a forum, not a data base.

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
There is no actual evidence that quality control is lacking.
I say that’s incorrect.
The number of threads and articles on the internet concerning problems with Apple hard and software seems to rise every year.
Not taking into account that numbers are rising because more people are active on forums and the like, selling millions of devices to millions of vocal customers, quality control has to ensure an at least non negative public perception of said products and control standards, which, if nothing else, is obviously not the case.
So it seems fair to me to assume that there is a downwards trend; and just because you took the 15 seconds to say there is no actual actual evidence doesn’t mean there isn’t a data base that you and I aren’t aware of.
Assume to be aware of and know less, not more, than you do.

Edit: auto correct is a perfect example of a recent trend

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Im aware , I’m pointing out that apple foes that , in my view , more than any other company, and goes beyond the limits of imagination
Exactly, the largest company in the world that makes their money of hardware that their selling this happens way more than Amazon or Google because google is mostly a software company and amazon is logistics so their isn't as much incentive to lower production costs

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Because apple’s main motive is to decrease costs and increase margin and profits

There is an macrumors article stating apple engineers are focused on reducing costs in fabrication

Apple is the richest company in the whole world , first to cross the trillion, and yet they milk the cow like a freaking beggar

Just look at recent price increases , battery just got 20-30% more expensive come on

**** you tim
Reducing cost in manufacturing doesn’t mean the devices are made more cheaply.
Reducing cost can translate into streamlined components for different devices, like Mx processors in Macs and iPads, and other streamlined technologies that reduce the cost of production, like less finicky parts for faster assembling and the like.
Apple is switching suppliers so reducing the overall input into any given devices can make it easier to not only migrate production but train employees.

Inflation exists in all markets and affects all currencies, prices are expected to increase in situations like these. If you didn’t see it coming or can’t understand it after it arrived that’s your fault.

Not everything is a conspiracy against you.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Reducing cost in manufacturing doesn’t mean the devices are made more cheaply.
Reducing cost can translate into streamlined components for different devices, like Mx processors in Macs and iPads, and other streamlined technologies that reduce the cost of production, like less finicky parts for faster assembling and the like.
Apple is switching suppliers so reducing the overall input into any given devices can make it easier to not only migrate production but train employees.

Inflation exists in all markets and affects all currencies, prices are expected to increase in situations like these. If you didn’t see it coming or can’t understand it after it arrived that’s your fault.

Not everything is a conspiracy against you.
I hear you

Please refrain from using sarcastic authoritarian arguments such as conspiracy theories mockery to counter the points I bring though , it’s very disrespectful

• Haha
Reactions: millerj123

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
I say that’s incorrect.
The number of threads and articles on the internet concerning problems with Apple hard and software seems to rise every year.
Not taking into account that numbers are rising because more people are active on forums and the like, selling millions of devices to millions of vocal customers, quality control has to ensure an at least non negative public perception of said products and control standards, which, if nothing else, is obviously not the case.
So it seems fair to me to assume that there is a downwards trend; and just because you took the 15 seconds to say there is no actual actual evidence doesn’t mean there isn’t a data base that you and I aren’t aware of.
Assume to be aware of and know less, not more, than you do.

Edit: auto correct is a perfect example of a recent trend
exactly brother

Reactions: Jeven Stobs

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You must not have been around or remember the good old days (back in early 2010s and 2013 etc). I remember people talking when the 2013 Retina MacBook Pro came out there was A LOT of discussion "Never buy a Rev A Apple Product! You will get a LOT of problems if you do". This has been an issue for a long long time.

Why do people keep saying we need another "Snow Leopard" type of release that just fixes broken things? The fact that Snow Leopard existed and did these things show there were problems before.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
how is it better than ever?
Apple just released the best 14" and 16" laptops since the 2015 MacBook Pro. Not sure what you are getting at here. The butterfly keyboard mess almost made me drop Apple, on top of not offering a decent desktop that was not an All In One which I hate. I was on life support with Apple with my 2019 i9 iMac and still used my 2010 Mac Pro. Since the new laptops, I got one day one and have ZERO issues. I got the Mac Studio day one and just have one minor issue the high pitch sound from it.

Reactions: DontSweatIt

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
There’s over two decades of forum posts here.
Go to any product launch between 2001 and 2023 that’s been documented on this website.
They *all* have multi-page threads documenting every single little issue with them.
From the batteries expanding of the iPod nano first generation, to the G5 leakage, to the horrendous GPUs of the 08 MacBook Pros, to the disastrous launch of MobileMe, to the overheating and discoloration of the iPhone 3GS, to the initial launch of Snow Leopard erasing peoples home folders, to antenna gate, to the Apple Maps debacle, to the people big mad about iOS 7’s redesign, to bend gate…
To say that QC has gotten worse is very much a stretch.
Especially since the amount of people using Apple products has just continued, going up and up and up and up, so who can really say if there have been more issues or not?
There are more users, meaninf more possibility for issues to be found that wouldn’t otherwise.
The only thing I think that might affect peoples point of view is that the competitors have gotten much better over the years.
At one point, it was a world of super cheap plastic net books, and terrible XP machines vs Apple’s all aluminum and glass high-quality, super thin and light Mac lineup.
Nowadays it’s a lot different, and emulating applesdesigns is basically what everyone’s doing.
The days of Vista and Android 2.3 Gingerbread being way behind Apple’s platforms are long gone.

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Apple QC is a hit or miss sometimes. I remember I had to go through 11 warranty replacements on an iphone 4, all due to issues that I had with warranty replacements. Ever since then, I try to avoid warranty replacements.
Haven’t gotten a single replacement device by Apple that didn’t have a problem. I went through 6 2016 SEs, all with the same problem, until mail in service wasn’t available at my location anymore 😄 now I’m not calling bs, but it surely was bs
Had a replacement X which had the same display issues, had the display replaced at least once, same issue, had the phone sent in 4-6 more times, each time then it wasn’t serviced at all and just sent back.
Well, they actually opened it, probably each time, and the front camera was littered with dust. First party service, too.
Now, I won’t talk about my MacBook Pro odyssey, but so far Apple has failed me every single time but once when it came to replacements.
Eventually even the senior support got fed up by whatever they did or didn’t do with my X so he said f this, you’re gonna get a new phone. But we’re out of stock on replacement X’s and Xs’s, so here is a 11 Pro.
It did have issues, too, but I was too thankful to bother them again 😄

TLDR
Replacement devices from Apple ain’t it IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.