Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noah Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Just got back from the ATT store and I wanted to share my thoughts in case anyone else agrees/disagrees/is not sure which color to pick! I have a feeling many will be between the graphite and pacific blue. Last year for the 11 pro, I just went with whatever was in stock (gold happened to be the case) but this time, I took advantage of ATT's $800 deal instead of buying outright so I'll likely hold onto the phone longer.

1. So from launch I thought that I definitely would be going with the new pacific blue. But then, they decided to give every single reviewer a pacific blue unit. Honestly, made me love the color a little less and took away the novelty of the color.

2. The graphite color is simply not getting enough love IMO, and it has that clean industrial look we haven't seen from Apple in a while in their iPhones.

chromeedge.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 1.36.26 PM.png

3. It has the darkest frame, which will be the least distracting because many cases now show an outline of the frame when viewed from the front. Furthermore, the camera housing glass is the shiny part of the back. Most people including myself, will have a case on it most of the time where only the camera housing and parts of the steel frame are showing. I find the reflective pacific blue glass and steel to be not as nice as the matte part. The shiny dark silver - meanwhile - is very nice to my eyes!

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 1.20.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 1.40.27 PM.png

4. It reminds me of Iron Man Mark II.

llkik2y455t01.png

That's pretty much it. Mine will take a couple weeks to come in to my local ATT store, but gives me time to wait for the apple leather cases to become available anyways!

Last edited:

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
Yeah, IMO with the blue and green last year, a lot of people want the new color, because it's a new color, and not because they like the color. Not realizing that new color, won't be so new, because it ends up being the most popular color.

I'd rather stick with the color I like the best. Especially if you're going to have it a year or more.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You got another colour because someone else made some videos on YouTube with the colour you actually wanted?

I bet the blue won’t even be seen in the wild as often as black devices. For one, it’s likely appealing less than the usual colours and more for those who want something different and then it won’t be around for more than a year.

Noah Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
You got another colour because someone else made some videos on YouTube with the colour you actually wanted?

I bet the blue won’t even be seen in the wild as often as black devices. For one, it’s likely appealing less than the usual colours and more for those who want something different and then it won’t be around for more than a year.

Well no, the more videos I saw of it, the less fond I became of the color. I liked it a lot off the bat on first announcement and later less so. Nothing to do with popularity; if anything I prefer more popular colors because I typically sell phones that retain their value myself and will separately buy a cheaper phone if there is a trade in deal to take advantage of.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Yeah, IMO with the blue and green last year, a lot of people want the new color, because it's a new color, and not because they like the color. Not realizing that new color, won't be so new, because it ends up being the most popular color.

I'd rather stick with the color I like the best. Especially if you're going to have it a year or more.

I've always liked blue, so it was the easy choice. Also a new color. Last year I went green. I would say the only color I haven't done is Red (ignoring the variations of graphite/black/etc through the years) but there were several color options in the 5c line which I didn't buy myself a phone that year.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

boogas8

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2014
1. So from launch I thought that I definitely would be going with the new pacific blue. But then, they decided to give every single reviewer a pacific blue unit. Honestly, made me love the color a little less and took away the novelty of the color.

1. The graphite color is simply not getting enough love IMO, and it has that clean industrial look we haven't seen from Apple in a while in their iPhones.

The like for the color shouldn’t depend on reviewers but on you, you’re going to look at everyday. Reviewers are getting the blue because that’s what’s new and a strong selling point. Graphite is just another variants of space grey/blackish phone. It’s not going to get a lot of love because in some form it will always be a default color and as never had a problem with getting people to buy it.

Reactions: calstanford

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
It’s an awesome colour. It looks to be same or similar shade to the 11 pro steel and identical rear matte glass...I had that this past year and similarly love it. Very slick gunmetal vibe

I just wanted a change so I went for pacific blue but I must admit, the graphite still in my guilty pleasure favourite

Reactions: Noah Bloom

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
I agree 100%. I like the all colors of the iPhone 12 Pro, but when it comes down to which one I want to own, it’s Graphite, especially since it will be in a case except where there are cutouts. The Graphite is the best for showing up in the cutout part of cases.

I have this issue with cars too. It’s common for me to think, “that’s a nice looking car and color, wouldn’t want own it myself, but it looks good.“

Last edited:

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I am on the fence about whether to go for graphite or blue. I have a graphite watch and I’m planning to go caseless this year so the graphite phone will be a nice match I’m going to do a few more searches on YouTube for the Pacific blue before making up my mind about which colour to go for for my 12 pro max

Last edited:

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Blue strikes me as one of those colors that's cool because it's new. But, halfway through the year, it'll start to get a little old. Graphite is terrific. Only complaint is that clearly it's the same thing as last year's Space Gray. Why change names, Apple?

Reactions: oVerboost

Icealicy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Blue strikes me as one of those colors that's cool because it's new. But, halfway through the year, it'll start to get a little old. Graphite is terrific. Only complaint is that clearly it's the same thing as last year's Space Gray. Why change names, Apple?
From my understanding it is a lighter color than the Space Gray... Theres a video out there comparing the two colors.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Graphite is my favorite this year. No question. I think the blue is beautiful too but blue isn't really my color. White has those shiny stainless steel edges which I hate. And gold just isn't my thing.

CVUSA

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Just got back from the ATT store and I wanted to share my thoughts in case anyone else agrees/disagrees/is not sure which color to pick! I have a feeling many will be between the graphite and pacific blue. Last year for the 11 pro, I just went with whatever was in stock (gold happened to be the case) but this time, I took advantage of ATT's $800 deal instead of buying outright so I'll likely hold onto the phone longer.

1. The graphite color is simply not getting enough love IMO, and it has that clean industrial look we haven't seen from Apple in a while in their iPhones.

View attachment 973280 View attachment 973312

2. It has the darkest frame, which will be the least distracting because many cases now show an outline of the frame when viewed from the front. Furthermore, the camera housing glass is the shiny part of the back. Most people including myself, will have a case on it most of the time where only the camera housing and parts of the steel frame are showing. I find the reflective pacific blue glass and steel to be not as nice as the matte part. The shiny dark silver - meanwhile - is very nice to my eyes!

View attachment 973292 View attachment 973314

3. It reminds me of Iron Man Mark II.

View attachment 973295

That's pretty much it. Mine will take a couple weeks to come in to my local ATT store, but gives me time to wait for the apple leather cases to become available anyways!
Wow agree might getting graphite instead P blue.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
I went with the Midnight Green 11 Pro last year, and for 2020 I went with the Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro. It’s nice that Apple has provided some additional colour options in recent years. I’ve been around long enough to remember a time long ago when digital devices came in one colour - beige.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Definitely prefer this color as well. My car, MBP, iPad are all Dark Grey or whatever naming convention they use. While I prefer black, this'll do.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
That is slick also. Black, Space Gray has always been my go to color since iPhone 4.

I'm STILL on the fence of this new Blue...but I WANT to see it in person. And I tried 45 min ago at the Apple store, but I literally have to make an appt. just to go inside the store and see it.

(Seems like you need an appointment just to get in the door - for service AND just to browse, at least at the location near me, ugh They simply would not let me in for 2-3 minutes.)

*Other stores like Best Buy, Verizon, TMobile only have the Gold on display,

Eh...anyway, I have 12 days to see the blue version.

But again, that Graphite is nice looking!

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
I have an appointment at the Apple Store in about an hour. I ordered pac blue but now want to see the silver. GAH. This is much harder than I thought but I've loved my silver iPhone 6 all these years and thought "hey, the pac blue would be new and different!" I can only wait until I see them in person.

Noah Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
That is slick also. Black, Space Gray has always been my go to color since iPhone 4.

I'm STILL on the fence of this new Blue...but I WANT to see it in person. And I tried 45 min ago at the Apple store, but I literally have to make an appt. just to go inside the store and see it.

(Seems like you need an appointment just to get in the door - for service AND just to browse, at least at the location near me, ugh They simply would not let me in for 2-3 minutes.)

*Other stores like Best Buy, Verizon, TMobile only have the Gold on display,

Eh...anyway, I have 12 days to see the blue version.

But again, that Graphite is nice looking!

Interesting. My ATT store only had gold on display too! and a blue standard 12.

Noah Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
The like for the color shouldn’t depend on reviewers but on you, you’re going to look at everyday. Reviewers are getting the blue because that’s what’s new and a strong selling point. Graphite is just another variants of space grey/blackish phone. It’s not going to get a lot of love because in some form it will always be a default color and as never had a problem with getting people to buy it.

I mentioned the review/novelty thing more to point out that I may have just been excited by the color because it was new/cool (it's the one I would've jumped on had I preordered before reviews came out), but then after seeing in-person photos of it a ton, I realized it wasn't actually my preferred color.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Interesting. My ATT store only had gold on display too! and a blue standard 12.

Exact same display models at BB, the Verizon, T Mobile stores. I saw the Gold Pro yesterday and bright blue regular iPhone 12 at Best Buy, then the same colors at T-Mobile, Verizon in the mall where my Apple store is.

I'll see the Pacific Blue in person probably Monday or sometime during the weekday when it's less busy. If Apple has to let me inside by appt. only...so be it. I picked a Saturday..a very busy day to attempt it. No biggie.

Reactions: MacRealist91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.