Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I am on the fence about whether to go for graphite or blue. I have a graphite watch and I’m planning to go caseless this year so the graphite phone will be a nice match I’m going to do a few more searches on YouTube for the Pacific blue before making up my mind about which colour to go for for my 12 pro max

No matter how many videos you watch, blue will always look better when used without a case.

With a case, it is a different story. Plain and simple.

I will use a case initially but later as the excitement of a new phone wears down, will use the phone with skins and the Apple Sleeve

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Blue strikes me as one of those colors that's cool because it's new. But, halfway through the year, it'll start to get a little old. Graphite is terrific. Only complaint is that clearly it's the same thing as last year's Space Gray. Why change names, Apple?

It is not nearly the same. The camera and sides are surely different.

Graphite is the perfect space gray

kushal11

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2017
Mumbai, India.
Colour is a very subjective thing. I've never bought anything other than a black phone. The iPhone XS Max I currently use is a silver (white) simple because the space grey kept getting more grey and less black.

But then, I've never bought anything other than black or white because they are my second and third favourite colours. Which is my favourite? Navy blue and it was about time Apple did one.

I am perhaps one of the rare chaps that wants an iPhone 12 Pro Mini in pacific blue. The worst part is that they made the 12 mini in white some sort of champagne. The black is just too glossy and not matte enough.

From a neutral point of view I think all the pro colours are just fantastic. You just can't go wrong with any of them. The 12's look like a box of m&m's and the only colour I like is the green and that is just not my taste.

I hope the mini's next year have a pacific blue or better yet the pro line gets it's own mini and pacific blue.

Knightimer

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I really considered the Graphite. Yet, I went with the Pacific Blue. I have always had a space grey color for all my apple products; my MacBook Pro, Watch, iPad and iPhone. I still wanted something different. Besides, I will be using a case and can make it any color I want!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
This is like saying why you like one musical artist over another.

It’s subjective. You like it because YOU like it. Others like theirs because THEY like it.

Colours are too emphasised in this forum. It’s almost as if they’re more important to some than the features of the phone itself.
?

Reactions: lrsone

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Only complaint is that clearly it's the same thing as last year's Space Gray. Why change names, Apple?

Its not the same colour. I watched a video on YouTube where they showed last years Space Gray and this years Graphite. The Graphite is a lighter colour compared to the Space Gray.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I purchased these two colors too, and am surprised how difficult it is to choose. Both colors are beautiful. I liked the Graphite more than I thought I would; and, having gotten the Series 6 Apple Watch in Graphite Stainless Steel, believe them to be a fantastic match (for whatever that’s worth). I agree with @mashinhead that in the light, the Graphite 12 Pro is just stunning (the Iron Man II reference is classic, by the way...love it). However, in certain darker environments/shadows, there can be a tinge of Midnight Green (or maybe putty), at least to my eye. I had the Midnight Green 11 Pro and by the end of the year, I was pretty tired of the color; I found I didn’t like it as much once the newness wore off. I have the same concern about the Pacific Blue. Also weighing on me is the fact that every time I’ve had an iPhone in a Black/Space Gray color, I’ve enjoyed it all year long with no regrets.

I do not use a case with my iPhone, and I think this year is by far the most difficult time I’ve had picking a color. Graphite is a safer choice, but the Pacific Blue, right now, is just fantastic.

Here are some pics I just shot of the two of them, in case this helps anybody else who is riding the fence.

View attachment 974232

View attachment 974233

View attachment 974234

View attachment 974235

View attachment 974236

Thanks for that, great photos ?

I simply couldn't decide last week when pre ordering began for the Pro Max, so I ordered the graphite and the pacific blue.

Going off of your photos, it's going to be a difficult choice for me this year.

Since the iPhone 4, I've owned mostly black iPhones. With the iPhone X I went with black, but a few months after I got it, I saw the silver/white in an Apple Store and preferred it instantly over the black (which by then I was a little tired of).

When I got the XS Max I went with the silver/white and loved that colour, but last year with the Pro Max, the silver/white I didn't like due to the three dark lenses on the back, which I found didn't look good for me.

Reactions: ScottC7

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
For anyone who doesn’t have access to a local Apple store, I found the 3D models here do a decent job of showing the subtle colour shifts of the 12 Pros at different angles (scroll down a bit):

That is fantastic - thank you! I agree; the 3D models do a nice job showing the color variations at different angles.

Reactions: johnnylarue

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Thanks for that, great photos ?

I simply couldn't decide last week when pre ordering began for the Pro Max, so I ordered the graphite and the pacific blue.

Going off of your photos, it's going to be a difficult choice for me this year.

Since the iPhone 4, I've owned mostly black iPhones. With the iPhone X I went with black, but a few months after I got it, I saw the silver/white in an Apple Store and preferred it instantly over the black (which by then I was a little tired of).

When I got the XS Max I went with the silver/white and loved that colour, but last year with the Pro Max, the silver/white I didn't like due to the three dark lenses on the back, which I found didn't look good for me.
It is so subjective and a difficult choice. All the colors look great this year, at least to me. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: Fatboy71

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I consider myself an Apple purist. I believe that Apple products look best in Silver, Space Gray, and B&W. All these yearly colors don’t appeal to me. I find them to be trendy and inconsistent from variation to variation. The Midnight Green iPhone 11 Pro looks considerably more dated when compared to its Silver and Space Gray brothers. Pacific Blue will fare no better next year. If I want color I will add a case by Apple. At least I would know they were designed in unison.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I really considered the Graphite. Yet, I went with the Pacific Blue. I have always had a space grey color for all my apple products; my MacBook Pro, Watch, iPad and iPhone. I still wanted something different. Besides, I will be using a case and can make it any color I want!

Get the clear case as it looks best with the Pacific Blue and then then the Baltic Blue or Navy Blue. Rest don’t look good with the Pacific Blue.

Nicois06

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2019
I disagree. PB looks pretty nice with "bordeaux" color or leather case California poppy. I love both. Graphite and PB.

I considering to buy PB but from 2 years ago (my Xs purchase) I was interested to buy silver/white. It's so beautiful with clear case.

I'm not sure the PB with a clear case. In same time, I hated the flashy sides of silver and gold. For me, the best was 11 pro silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.