Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The graphite definitely has a more metallic look to it. Almost regret getting my black silicon case... I want to use this phone nekkid (and just might end up doing it).

The phone looks amazing. I went from the 11 Pro Max which was way too heavy for me (after using + phones since the 6+).

I saw the blue in the store and ... I'm more of a green person so ... :p.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
forget the color! LOL how are you all liking the size?
-too small?
-perfect?
-too large?

it feels longer than usual, but thats good, easier in hand. easier to capture lengthier documents on the phone. etc.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I actually bought both the graphite and the pacific blue on launch day. I've had black phones since the 10. I like the way the light hits the frosted glass on that color. With the iPhone's modern materials the colors look very different depending on the light. I do not love the the frosted back glass of the pac blue in shadow. In light it looks great.

One thing I wanted to mention for the room, is that when you look at the phone top down. The stainless steel rim on the PAC BLUE is really great, it actually looks jet black. It looks darker than the graphite, which looks more stainless steel as the light hits it. Meaning you notice the rim more on the Graphite, than the Pac Blue.

Last edited:

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Tough tough choice. Decent video between Graphite vs Pac Blue.

Both look amazing. One brief part in the video - 3:27 mark where he's holding the blue and graphite, yet the Graphite looks ...well like Midnight Green?! (No, that is not the 11 Pro)

Like "mashinhead" said, depends on light angles hitting it.
Guess it explains why in the P.B. I see more blue in one pic, teal in another, dark gray-green in yet another.

***EDIT, another video (16:39 mark.) He does open the Graphite and notices the "greenish" color change at certain angles. Hmm.

Last edited:

JeepGC

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I must say, it does look really cool in Graphite. However, I had black iPhones from the 3G-XS. I went with Midnight Green last year and Pacific Blue this year. Having a color besides black is refreshing IMO

Reactions: KO7 and PhillyGuy72

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
I actually bought both the graphite and the pacific blue on launch day. I've had black phones since the 10. I like the way the light hits the frosted glass on that color. With the iPhone's modern materials the colors look very different depending on the light. I do not love the the frosted back glass of the pac blue in shadow. In light it looks great.

One thing I wanted to mention for the room, is that when you look at the phone top down. The stainless steel rim on the PAC BLUE actually looks jet black. It looks darker than the graphite, which looks more stainless steel as the light hits it. Meaning you notice the rim more on the Graphite, than the Pac Blue.
I purchased these two colors too, and am surprised how difficult it is to choose. Both colors are beautiful. I liked the Graphite more than I thought I would; and, having gotten the Series 6 Apple Watch in Graphite Stainless Steel, believe them to be a fantastic match (for whatever that’s worth). I agree with @mashinhead that in the light, the Graphite 12 Pro is just stunning (the Iron Man II reference is classic, by the way...love it). However, in certain darker environments/shadows, there can be a tinge of Midnight Green (or maybe putty), at least to my eye. I had the Midnight Green 11 Pro and by the end of the year, I was pretty tired of the color; I found I didn’t like it as much once the newness wore off. I have the same concern about the Pacific Blue. Also weighing on me is the fact that every time I’ve had an iPhone in a Black/Space Gray color, I’ve enjoyed it all year long with no regrets.

I do not use a case with my iPhone, and I think this year is by far the most difficult time I’ve had picking a color. Graphite is a safer choice, but the Pacific Blue, right now, is just fantastic.

Here are some pics I just shot of the two of them, in case this helps anybody else who is riding the fence.

IMG_0268.jpeg

IMG_0269.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I purchased these two colors too, and am surprised how difficult it is to choose. Both colors are beautiful. I liked the Graphite more than I thought I would; and, having gotten the Series 6 Apple Watch in Graphite Stainless Steel, believe them to be a fantastic match (for whatever that’s worth). I agree with @mashinhead that in the light, the Graphite 12 Pro is just stunning (the Iron Man II reference is classic, by the way...love it). However, in certain darker environments/shadows, there can be a tinge of Midnight Green (or maybe putty), at least to my eye. I had the Midnight Green 11 Pro and by the end of the year, I was pretty tired of the color; I found I didn’t like it as much once the newness wore off. I have the same concern about the Pacific Blue. Also weighing on me is the fact that every time I’ve had an iPhone in a Black/Space Gray color, I’ve enjoyed it all year long with no regrets.

I do not use a case with my iPhone, and I think this year is by far the most difficult time I’ve had picking a color. Graphite is a safer choice, but the Pacific Blue, right now, is just fantastic.

Here are some pics I just shot of the two of them, in case this helps anybody else who is riding the fence.

View attachment 974232

View attachment 974233

View attachment 974234

View attachment 974235

View attachment 974236

Thanks for these, great photos / comparison. Insane this is such a tough decision, but that Graphite is starting to look more and more appealing to me, especially the 1st, 3rd, and bottom photos. I will without question have a case on mine, hate to do it on this one because it's so nice. But a clear case will be in order though.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003

View attachment 974232

View attachment 974233

View attachment 974234

View attachment 974235

View attachment 974236

Based on these images I would take the blue. I agree with some that say even though the graphite looks great, it feels a bit bland this year maybe its because i've had it so much. The other thing is I've pref the black in the last few years because the rounded design made it look like one piece of black. The new design breaks that. The last picture is the most telling. Some have said that the blue in certain light looks more like the slate 5.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Finally made it into the Apple Store via "appointment" to check out the 2 colors in person and well, it didn't make my decision any easier!

Both are beautiful, that I expected. But I don't know what to think anymore..LOL, it's crazy. The blue as mentioned already has this wild "color shift" to it. Very muted blue at one angle....little more blue looking down, then almost a gray'ish blue..perhaps dull teal at another angle. That is with my own eyes, I cant really say my XS Max picked up on this?

Graphite, same slight shift, lighter at one angle, darker at another and almost then a hint of the 11 Midnight Green at other angles. The shiny sides on both...very nice and on the Pac Blue, far better than I expected.

There is one thing I did notice and i HOPE this won't be a major issue. The matte back, I kind of fear this may be screatchprone? Example - over time in pants/jeans pockets, or maybe an accidental finger nail across the back? I pointed this out on the Graphite model.

**I may be over-blowing it, this could be a non issue and these have been on display only a few days..but of course many have touched it.

iUhJrRZ.jpg

qWLKzCm.jpg
a8X1aDf.jpg

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Finally made it into the Apple Store via "appointment" to check out the 2 colors in person and well, it didn't make my decision any easier!

Both are beautiful, that I expected. But I don't know what to think anymore..LOL, it's crazy. The blue as mentioned already has this wild "color shift" to it. Very muted blue at one angle....little more blue looking down, then almost a gray'ish blue..perhaps dull teal at another angle. That is with my own eyes, I cant really say my XS Max picked up on this?

Graphite, same slight shift, lighter at one angle, darker at another and almost then a hint of the 11 Midnight Green at other angles. The shiny sides on both...very nice and on the Pac Blue, far better than I expected.

There is one thing I did notice and i HOPE this won't be a major issue. The matte back, I kind of fear this may be screatchprone? Example - over time in pants/jeans pockets, or maybe an accidental finger nail across the back? I pointed this out on the Graphite model.

**I may be over-blowing it, this could be a non issue and these have been on display only a few days..but of course many have touched it.

iUhJrRZ.jpg

qWLKzCm.jpg
a8X1aDf.jpg

Definitely Graphite for me after seeing your pics and the ones above. A nice clean look that will go with any color case. I had the Midnight Green last year and it lost its luster of having the latest color shortly after purchase. Unfortunately, that was also after the return period so had no choice. If you plan on keeping the phone more than one year, make sure your fine with the PB for that long and won't be regretting it a month or two down the line.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010

View attachment 974232

View attachment 974233

View attachment 974234

View attachment 974235

View attachment 974236

Best photos of Pacific Blue and Graphite side by side that I've seen on the web so far! I was stuck between the two but ended up choosing Pacific Blue because I've always loved blue colors and I'm based in the Pacific Northwest :)

I was gonna return if I didn't like it but your photos make me feel better that I made the right choice. Phone comes in 2 days so I'm super pumped! Planning on going caseless for the first time ever so definitely want to rock the PB color. However, if I was going to use a case, I'd prefer Graphite.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA

iUhJrRZ.jpg

qWLKzCm.jpg
a8X1aDf.jpg

Great pics! I just have seen in person. Yes, hard choice. I have always went with the darkest colors like black and space grey. This year, leaning towards the PB a lot. The graphite seems too shiny. The PB is almost closer to darker than graphite. Like you said, almost grey with certain lighting or angle.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Best photos of Pacific Blue and Graphite side by side that I've seen on the web so far! I was stuck between the two but ended up choosing Pacific Blue because I've always loved blue colors and I'm based in the Pacific Northwest :)

I was gonna return if I didn't like it but your photos make me feel better that I made the right choice. Phone comes in 2 days so I'm super pumped! Planning on going caseless for the first time ever so definitely want to rock the PB color. However, if I was going to use a case, I'd prefer Graphite.
Thanks! I’m glad the pictures helped you decide!

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Great photos.

I myself am still debating on getting the Pro Max. If I do it will be the graphite. I wish Apple would just give us a Black Pro model though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.