Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why are you buying Ipad Pro?

• Total voters

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
hi guys. Quick survey.

Why are you buying an ipad pro? Not what are you using it for, but why purchase?

It'll be Apples's flagship tablet for a while, and numerous people will be buying for numerous reasons. What's yours?

Personally, i'm upgrading from ipad2, and i'm a pro graphics designer, so for me its the right choice at the right time. Yes, it's 1st gen, but these days a 1st gen like this is still an awesome beast.

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
As a designer I definitely want to get one for the sketching ability. I already have procreate for my mini but with the pro and pencil its going to be even close to using photoshop on my mac.

Reactions: gteska

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Coming from a creative individual, the iPad Pro will be a great device for drawing, Photoshop work and overall content creation. The Apple Pencil looks very good for this and early reviews have said it's one of the best stylus on the market I think the iPad Pro will be brilliant with apps that support it and it's features such as the Adobe one's we saw at the keynote.

loveandhavefun

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2014
it's exactly what the iPad could've been at the start :) It's got awesome speakers and the pencil is great

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I'm looking to lighten my load when I travel. my rMBP is amazing, I love it to bits but it is aging, a late 2013 isn't getting any younger and while it still has a year of AppleCare+ I might as well get my moneys worth out of it while I can. I bought it for editing photos and video, but I haven't been continuing that as much since I finally picked a career. In my experience people don't really care if the image is an 50megapixel RAW with a 1.2f ultra sharp lens and edited on a colour corrected screen with the latest and greatest software... A nice shot is often enough when selling unique items, when the image is gallery material after the item sells anyhow.

That stuff aside, I'm liking the idea of having LTE capability as well. When travelling I don't want to be looking for the nearest Wifi spot thats not why I travel. It'll be liberating being able to swap a SIM card out when I need to in another country or something and just take it from there.

The Pencil and keyboard is icing on the cake, particularly the pencil. I've had a stylus for my iPad 4 for years and it was great but the lag is crazy.. and the iPad 4 isn't aging as well as other devices with iOS 9 installed.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iPad Prosumer is the only purchase candidate right now. iPad Air 2 has flaws and runs the old A8X architecture instead of A9/A9X. And, the new iPad Mini 4 is underpowered with old iPhone 6 SoC and a washed out display. Too bad it doesn't come out for another month or two.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Seems business use is a most high priority. Yes, running a business on it is not really an option of course in the while, but, like with myself, aiding business for both my own and my employer, the Pro will be a huge gift.

Im also going to make more effort to fully utilise and optimise my icloud and drop box methods to get the best filing system i can too.

I think the Pro certainly wont be as portable as my existing ipad2 when around the house though, i cant really imagine wielding a laptop screen around everywhere with me, but then lets see.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
And, the new iPad Mini 4 is underpowered with old iPhone 6 SoC and a washed out display.
The A8 with 2GB of RAM is a strong performer. Heck, the A7 is still a strong performer. And based on calorimetry, the iPad Mini 4's display is equal to the iPad Air 2's display in terms of color gamut:

In this test, the iPad Mini 2’s color gamut was reported as 76 percent of sRGB. The iPad Air 2 and the iPad Mini 4 were reported at 98 percent and 99 percent respectively—within the margin of error, we’d say—and their chromaticity charts look essentially the same.

There are plenty of good reasons to go for an iPad Pro over an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Mini 4, but they're still good products.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why no UK Price yet?
Is Apple waiting to see what Microsoft are going to price the Surface 4 at, before they feel happy setting a price?

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
I've been using my iPad as my laptop since the iPad 4 came out. I can do everything I need to do on it EXCEPT draw. I'm hoping to upgrade to the iPad Pro to finally have a portable drawing device that's Mac centric. I do plan to wait a bit after it's released just to see how other creatives like it before I plop down the $1000.

Reactions: Sech and sracer

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm excited to use this device for the new Adobe mockups product (I architect new features for what my team develops), hand written notes & drawings to deliver quick messages to those around me, project management and now I no longer need to unhook my MBP from my office setup when I go to Starbucks.

Anyone have any recommendations on good apps for Visual Studio task management on the iPad instead of through the site? Visual Studio online sucks on Chrome and Safari on the Mac.

timewarp3k

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
There are so many fundamental reasons. Three areas that contain my interests. First, I am a teacher and in that capacity just a larger screen will be a windfall. Second, I design interactive learning environments and ability to create prototypes with a fair amount complexity is at least for me obvious Finally I am now somewhat disabled and the option of having a more versatile "laptop" than I have now with my iPad 2/Brydge keyboard and my MacBook Pro.
Thank you for asking.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I'll get the iPad Air 3. Pro is too big for me.

fair enough. but to people looking to use the pencil--i think this an excellent size choice by apple. Ironically--this maybe the best MS oneNote device--with a very familiar a4 size image space. Ironically--the importance of pen computing may be more influenced by this "jony come lately" than the pen-centric surface pro offerings.

The major short fall is the lack of proper stand--but hopefully third parties will fill in

Reactions: bhodinut

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I'll preorder but not open mine until tinkering with one in store. The reasons I want it:
1.) I'm a writer and graphic designer/illustrator, but am going into Film, (so I would like a larger screen iPad, Pencil, and more power,) Apple Pencil will be nice, same with the keyboard size. And 4K video editing on an iPad will be super awesome.
2.) Again I really want the power this beast has.
3.) It will be really cool to have those 4 speakers. lol

Hopefully the size won't be as big an issue when I hold it in person.

Kal

Reactions: nickyD410

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
The real question is why releasing iPad pro without 3D Touch?
One possible reason is that the taptic engine in the phone replaces the vibrator motor - thus, only a small increase in overall size (remove a part, add a part). Also, I wonder how Apple's taptic engine would feel over such a large expanse of glass?

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
hi guys. Quick survey.

Why are you buying an ipad pro? Not what are you using it for, but why purchase?

I want a bigger screen on my tablet. I don't see why 9.7 inch is some magical threshold that shouldn't be crossed; people use tablets at about the same distance they use laptop computers, and laptops are 13" - 17" displays.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Problem I see with the iPad Pro is the completely inability to move documents on or off of it easily. Why does Apple not address this aspect of usability?

Reactions: bhodinut

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Problem I see with the iPad Pro is the completely inability to move documents on or off of it easily. Why does Apple not address this aspect of usability?

but that goes for all idevices. this also completely vexes me too. why cant we have a simple, fuss-free method of file transfer, even if there's no proper file system in place? (ie, something like usb). and no the Pro is around files will be even bigger.

personally, i'm going to make most of icloud and dropbox.

Reactions: pdoherty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.