Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why are you buying Ipad Pro?

• Total voters

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Not even close and will not be for 3-5 years or more. and because it runs iOS it will never be a real business productivity tool. No one except an Apple Store or retail employee could use it to conduct their entire day to day tasks efficiently, anyone owning this device will still need to have a real computer if they are in the bussiness/enterprise/corporate world.

It will "never be a real...tool" for "anyone"? Odd, because I am 100% certain that I can get through my entire working day on the iPad Pro and a phone - the only reason I don't on an iPad is the lack of screen real-estate. And several of my colleagues are keen to get one as well.

Perhaps you should distance yourself from making absolute statements without being sure that you speak for everyone.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
It will "never be a real...tool" for "anyone"? Odd, because I am 100% certain that I can get through my entire working day on the iPad Pro and a phone - the only reason I don't on an iPad is the lack of screen real-estate. And several of my colleagues are keen to get one as well.

Perhaps you should distance yourself from making absolute statements without being sure that you speak for everyone.

Agreed 100%.

Yes, most couldnt run a business with it, but so many can as well. Just because it doesnt occur to you doesnt mean, as many enjoy saying, 'its a miserable fail'.

Reactions: Sech and Ciclismo

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Why iPad Pro? Because why not? It looks a cool gadget that can do cool things. What other reason do you need? If you can afford it, go for it. Gadgets improve life.

Reactions: Codeseven

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I'll preorder but not open mine until tinkering with one in store. The reasons I want it:
1.) I'm a writer and graphic designer/illustrator, but am going into Film, (so I would like a larger screen iPad, Pencil, and more power,) Apple Pencil will be nice, same with the keyboard size. And 4K video editing on an iPad will be super awesome.
2.) Again I really want the power this beast has.
3.) It will be really cool to have those 4 speakers. lol

Hopefully the size won't be as big an issue when I hold it in person.

Kal
open it and if you don't like it take it back

teeejay

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
As everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I will share mine.

iPad Pro is a rather weird product.

I have to say, I do not like it at all, though I am Apple fan in my own way.

So, let's get to the point. We have 13" screen. With OS - iOS 9. This is not a mature operating system, not for a such big screen (using it, will feel so empty, because it already does on my iPad Air 2). Hell, there is not a proper way to multitask and I mean the real multitasking, not the yolo multitasking advertised by Apple (video playback, only via native iOS video player or using simultaneously 2 Apple native apps). In comparison with Microsoft SP 3 for instance, we cannot even compare them, because iPad Pro will just look stupid next to it.

Gaming on it? Give me a break. Really? Gaming on Macs, iPhone, iPads is pain in the ass. That's why I have gaming PC. Though I prefer Macs in everything else. Apple should stop advertising, that their devices can be gamed on, it just looks ruefully.

Watching movies? Yes, good try Apple. "Movies will be so immersive, that you will feel the breathe of Matt Damon on your cheeks during The Martian movie"

iPad Pro won't, for now, be able to replace Macbooks or other Notebooks. It is just not happening.

Performance wise.. I do not really know, whether i7/i5 will be more powerful vs A9X. (Surface Pro vs iPad Pro)

On the other hand, the thing I really like about iPad Pro, is that smart connect, or whatever is it called, for the keyboard. That's some impressive tech over there, it's discreet and does its job, well done!

For me, it is not a mature product yet.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think apple knows that people like their cases on their iPads. They are probably deferring a "kickstand" to case makers.

I am hoping someone takes up the cause. The ipp smartcase is really a disappointment--an ugly floppy thing with very limited adjustability. I really like what Vaio did with the kickstand concept in their new tablet.

Reactions: Centris 650

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i really think with this intro of the "Pro" into the iOS family in 2 years we will have nice keyboard and pencil features, file management between iOs-mac-icloud drive and at least 2 users accounts or maybe admin +guest account. So with all additional features and capabilities the gap between a laptop and ipad pro will be close enough for most (still can't replace a desktop with 21.5" or 27" imac or mac pro with thunderbolt display) Still the future can be bright

Reactions: Codeseven

kring

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Connecticut

Good job quoting me incorrectly... and can you state what you do.. Apple retail employee? I am pretty certain you are not in a Fortune 500 corporation if you can use an iPad all day.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Good job quoting me incorrectly... and can you state what you do.. Apple retail employee? I am pretty certain you are not in a Fortune 500 corporation if you can use an iPad all day.

Quote you incorrectly? But you wrote

Not even close and will not be for 3-5 years or more. and because it runs iOS it will never be a real business productivity tool. No one except an Apple Store or retail employee could use it to conduct their entire day to day tasks efficiently, anyone owning this device will still need to have a real computer if they are in the bussiness/enterprise/corporate world.

which I find is incorrect as there are many for whom iOS devices are enough for their daily working needs - I personally know of 2 CEOs who do so.

And no, I don't work for a Fortune 500 company, but that's because I neither a) work for an American company, nor b) live in the US, which rules me out as an Apple employee. But I'm sure that you can find employees at those companies who do manage with iOS devices - we are talking about almost 30 million people, so making absolute statements borders on terribly naive.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i hate that the smart keyboard is not illuminated and this is just for the next year when they release the new one that will it be so...plus matching color for your ipad pro...gold keyboard with black keys, silver and space grey

Reactions: Cape Dave

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
The vast majority of business people I know (and I know quite a few) get by just fine with....

office tools (MS office the most used)
email
calendar
shared meeting tools (gotomeeting, citrix, ...)
pdf tools

All of these work on iOS.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm getting one so that I don't need to disconnect my rMBP from it's office setup. Hate disconnecting all the wires. My fear however is the lack of technology in the iPad Pro, like 3D touch, whereas next gen's model will be more sophisticated with the enhancements of today and tomorrow. Granted Apple always does this, just annoying. Why put that tech in an iPhone and not the iPad simultaneously. Poor planning in my opinion, but they make billions and I make....a lot less.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
open it and if you don't like it take it back
No, I don't want to open it as that makes it harder on Apple to have to send it back to be inspected, even if I were to report nothing was wrong with it.
I have returned many times to the Apple Store and always hated doing so. I plan to buy one and keep it but checking it out in person to test it out is the best thing for me to do.
Also if I buy, open, and then return it... that's an iPad Pro that could have gone to someone else sooner. (Yes I'm weird like that)

D.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I'll preorder but not open mine until tinkering with one in store. The reasons I want it:
1.) I'm a writer and graphic designer/illustrator, but am going into Film, (so I would like a larger screen iPad, Pencil, and more power,) Apple Pencil will be nice, same with the keyboard size. And 4K video editing on an iPad will be super awesome.
2.) Again I really want the power this beast has.
3.) It will be really cool to have those 4 speakers. lol

Hopefully the size won't be as big an issue when I hold it in person

Kal

At least wait until tuesday's surface pro 4 event--if some of the rumors payoff you may
reconsider the ipad pro--which I like as well

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
No, I don't want to open it as that makes it harder on Apple to have to send it back to be inspected, even if I were to report nothing was wrong with it.
I have returned many times to the Apple Store and always hated doing so. I plan to buy one and keep it but checking it out in person to test it out is the best thing for me to do.
Also if I buy, open, and then return it... that's an iPad Pro that could have gone to someone else sooner. (Yes I'm weird like that)

D.
you'll love it I'm sure. If you are contemplating I'm sure it'll satisfy

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
At least wait until tuesday's surface pro 4 event--if some of the rumors payoff you may
reconsider the ipad pro--which I like as well
Blaspheme! I will never, ever buy a piece of crap from Microsoft. They are terrible at everything they do. I only use them sometimes as homework assignments require Word, otherwise iOS has been working for me for 5+ years and will continue to do so.

Kal.

Reactions: Hellenek

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Blaspheme! I will never, ever buy a piece of crap from Microsoft. They are terrible at everything they do. I only use them sometimes as homework assignments require Word, otherwise iOS has been working for me for 5+ years and will continue to do so.

Kal.

Well, at least your keeping an open mind!

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
I have ran my company the last 3 years with a IPad for 95% of the tasks needed. I am quite sure I make enough income to retire any time (if) I felt like it so I am not running a lemonade stand with my iPad.
I am pretty sure the Pro was built for me as I have wished for a bigger display for the last year.

Last edited:

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Well, at least your keeping an open mind!
I don't need an open mind having dealt with Microsoft for the past 10+ years. In the last 11 I have been taking apart and fixing PC's using microsoft almost everyday. The majority of that was me fixing the PC's operating system (Windows, never a Mac or OSX) I have no desire to ever buy anything made by microsoft, (except a new Xbox for Halo 3 Anniversary in 2 years.)
But luckily right now I only deal with a few PC issues as I move more towards Apple software and hardware. Personally I think my original iPad from 2010 would be more reliable than a brand new Microsoft tablet.

Kal.

Reactions: Hellenek

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't need an open mind having dealt with Microsoft for the past 10+ years. In the last 11 I have been taking apart and fixing PC's using microsoft almost everyday. The majority of that was me fixing the PC's operating system (Windows, never a Mac or OSX) I have no desire to ever buy anything made by microsoft, (except a new Xbox for Halo 3 Anniversary in 2 years.)
But luckily right now I only deal with a few PC issues as I move more towards Apple software and hardware. Personally I think my original iPad from 2010 would be more reliable than a brand new Microsoft tablet.

Kal.

So you've never used one, but know they suck

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
I just ordered a refurbished iPad Air 2, coming from an Air. I also own a MacBook Pro.

I can certainly see myself switching over to the iPad Pro in exchange for the above mentioned. But not at the moment. Because at the moment I am writing my master thesis and need the different level of productivity of my MacBook, foremost the ability to run IBM Statistics.

But beside of this aspect the iPad, iPhone and Apple TV is all I need after work. And that's why I will probably switch over to the iPad Pro – refurb if available – as soon as I am done with my university stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.