Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHuby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Does anybody know why Apple doesn't make iOS more customizable like Android? For example, why doesn't iOS have widgets, live wallpaper, multiple keyboards, etc? Is it because these things shorten battery life?

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
As Zcott said, it's not really in Apple's DNA. And I think a part of it is to try and keep the system out of the way and less distracting to the user so they can do what is they actually have the device for.

I remember when I used to use Windows XP I would spend afternoon changing msstyle skins and wallpapers and different customization tools -- some times customization gets in the way of doing work :)

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Why do people who want iOS to be like Android not just go and buy an Android phone?
I would find it very sad if Apple would go down the route of widgets etc. Most people I know use a time widget (time is already in status bar) and a local weather widget (it is actually faster looking out of a window than getting the phone out of your pocket)

jmann

macrumors 604
Apple wants consistency with all their devices. Customization would take that away. Plus, why have themed icons when there will always be tons of apps that aren't included in that theme?

Things like multiple keyboards just create troubleshooting issues and more things for apple to support/develop.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
Why do people who want iOS to be like Android not just go and buy an Android phone?
I would find it very sad if Apple would go down the route of widgets etc. Most people I know use a time widget (time is already in status bar) and a local weather widget (it is actually faster looking out of a window than getting the phone out of your pocket)

I'm in this boat of having weather and time widgets. It's personal preference. Oh and why I don't go to Android? Fragmentation, lesser quality phones, better apps with iOS, do I need to continue?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Seems to me thats what most people don't understand about Apple. If you want customization and all that other techy stuff, then Apple products aren't for you. It's either you like it or you don't. Apple is all about refinement, simplicity and minimalism. Strip away all the extra stuff that adds bloat and you're left with the core essentials.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Does anybody know why Apple doesn't make iOS more customizable like Android? For example, why doesn't iOS have widgets, live wallpaper, multiple keyboards, etc? Is it because these things shorten battery life?

Live Wallpaper...cute but not functional
Widgets - best handled by apps.
Multiple Keyboards - focused on voice input more

It's not necessarily about battery life and more about Apple's philosophy. Any effort made to keep you "outside" of an app isn't where they want to go. Siri is one of the few exceptions.

iHuby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
So it's all about simplicity and ease of use. Thanks for the answers. By the way, I love Apple. I have two Macs, an iPhone 4S, an iPad 2, and several iPods. I do like all the different things that can be done with Android, but I would never own an Android device. I do agree that all those customizable features are peripherals.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
So it's all about simplicity and ease of use. Thanks for the answers. By the way, I love Apple. I have two Macs, an iPhone 4S, an iPad 2, and several iPods. I do like all the different things that can be done with Android, but I would never own an Android device. I do agree that all those customizable features are peripherals.

Apple is making it easier to customize once you are in an app and eventually the Notification Center might be more customizable but right now changing the springboard isn't going to happen.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Why anyone would want live wallpapers on their phone is beyond me...

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Because Apple's main customers don't know the difference between a HDD and a SSD.

If they God forbid, let us customize things, well then thats just more things that the technologically inadequate people can screw up. Unfortunately that hurts people like most of us who know what and how to use more complex features.

John Adams

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX USA
I Understand

While I love my iPhone 4S, there are things I definitely miss about my Android. There are many things, imo, it does better than my iPhone. A little customization would not kill Apple. I'm not crazy about their "it's our way or no way" philosophy.

I liken the switch to when I bought a car two years ago after twenty years of owning nothing but full size pickup trucks. I miss many things about the truck but love the car too and at the moment it just suits my needs better. Same with the phone.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Given the poor taste of most peoples "customisations" on devices that allow it, I'm not surprised Apple don't want their devices to look like that. Apple wants control of how it looks and how it operates. The look and feel of an Apple device isn't just the bit you hold, but the OS as well.

All that most people achieve with customisation is to make their device look like unusable crud.

"Oh, but I can't make my entire interface look like a depressing dark death metal theme!"

Buy an Android device then, and you'll be dark and depressed before you have even started the customisation to make your phone unusable...

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
London
The one thing that would be cool is the ability to add custom keyboards and auto complete dictionaries.

Apple doesn't have keyboard/dictionary combinations for all languages. Nor does android out of the box. But on Android I could install a non-google created keyboard and job done. On iOS I'm stuck.

Now I'm not suggesting Apple let's end users create and install these keyboard/dictionary language packs, but why not let developers do it, and let them sell it through the AppStore?

I'd pay for an Afrikaans keyboard.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
The one thing I do wish apple would let us do is delete some of their apps so it takes up less space. Things like newsstand (I know it's a folder but still), compass, voice memo, etc... If we ever wanted it again we could just download it from the app store again.

Not a functional thing, but still would be nice.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
The one thing I do wish apple would let us do is delete some of their apps so it takes up less space. Things like newsstand (I know it's a folder but still), compass, voice memo, etc... If we ever wanted it again we could just download it from the app store again.

I know, it's strange that they don't.
The newsstand folder is annoying, as it opens as an app too!

They should let us remove them, put them in the app store and add an option in the settings menu called something like 'Default Apps' with just an install button or something. Like Facebook/Twitter have.

Makes sense, right?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007

I think Apple doesn't allows us to delete some default apps because other apps that you download from the App Store depend on them as well as other functions of the iPhone. For instance, the notification center uses the Stock, Weather, Reminders and Calendar apps, many games you download use Game Center, others use Maps, magazines use Newstand, etc.

About Newstand, I do agree with the previous poster, very annoying icon I have no use for. It is baffling that you can't put it inside a folder.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I think Apple doesn't allows us to delete some default apps because other apps that you download from the App Store depend on them as well as other functions of the iPhone. For instance, the notification center uses the Stock, Weather, Reminders and Calendar apps, many games you download use Game Center, others use Maps, magazines use Newstand, etc.

About Newstand, I do agree with the previous poster, very annoying icon I have no use for. It is baffling that you can't put it inside a folder.

That's like saying you can't delete Chrome on the Mac because Growl uses it.

If the weather app is installed, notifications will use it. If it's not installed, notification's won't use it.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Apple not allowing customization is just an extension of their fierce protection and control of their brand. Have you ever seen the home screen of a jail-broken iPhone? It's usually a mess. To Apple, your iPhone functions as an advertisement to other people, so when your friend checks out your phone he sees a crisp, clean interface like Apple intended, not a jumbled mess of widgets and a bunch of apps with ugly custom icons.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Because 98% of the time I'm using apps on my iPhone.

And the 2% I either stare at how the wallpaper looks or rearrange my folders, etc.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Why anyone would want live wallpapers on their phone is beyond me...

For the same reasons people want wallpaper on their phone in the first place? Thought that was kind of obvious.... What is really beyond me is why people are so against having the option to customize various aspects of iOS. .........

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
For the same reasons people want wallpaper on their phone in the first place? Thought that was kind of obvious.... What is really beyond me is why people are so against having the option to customize various aspects of iOS. .........

I'm all for customizing various aspects of iOS (I do it myself), however in my opinion animated wallpapers are one of those things where the cons are huge and the pros are minimal.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Cause then people's phone will start to look like MySpace pages. Remember how ugly that was? No thanks. Keep it clean and simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.