Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Obviously you have no idea what you are doing (screwing up the OS) and you also don't know what you're talking about. (blind about keyboards. The guy is talking about the keyboards on the phone not physical keyboards...LMAO!

There are already alternate keyboards for iOS without jailbreaking. Settings > General > International. Could you at least think before posting a dumb comment?

And has the thought ever occurred to you that iOS also runs on iPads, which can benefit from physical keyboards? I heard that iOS did not have very good support for 3rd-party physical keyboards.

----------

In my opinion jailbroken iOS is the best mobile OS out there. It's the best of both worlds, iOS's typical polish and responsiveness with android's customization and freedom.

If Apple were to squelch jailbreaking, I would be very disappointed. I understand why Apple wouldn't officially sanction it, but don't let the ability for users to take complete control over their device go away!

Apple has already tried to stop jailbreaking because some thieves are using it to steal paid apps. No matter what, the hackers win when it comes to jailbreaking.

Last edited:

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Does anybody know why Apple doesn't make iOS more customizable like Android? For example, why doesn't iOS have widgets, live wallpaper, multiple keyboards, etc? Is it because these things shorten battery life?

Apple likes to give consumers what they need rather than what they want. Live wallpapers would be awesome :(

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Apple would most likely use widgets on the new longer iPhone. But most likely they would be sued by Google so they will not ever use them most likely

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Apple has already tried to stop jailbreaking because some thieves are using it to steal paid apps. No matter what, the hackers win when it comes to jailbreaking.

Piracy should never be reason enough to take freedom away. That's a slippery slope. Imagine the equivalent in our non-digital lives (I can't think of any good analogies :p). Don't equate a hacker to a pirate though please, those are different things. There are plenty of non-malicious hackers, like the jailbreak crew themselves.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Piracy should never be reason enough to take freedom away. That's a slippery slope. Imagine the equivalent in our non-digital lives (I can't think of any good analogies :p). Don't equate a hacker to a pirate though please, those are different things. There are plenty of non-malicious hackers, like the jailbreak crew themselves.

I never equated hackers to pirates. I happily jailbroke my iPhone, my iPod touch, and my iPhone 4 just for a few advanced apps. I hack a lot of my stuff, including my record player.

It's simple. Jailbreaking leads to some users stealing apps, and it doesn't really help Apple that much, so they try to get rid of it. It's not about freedom or human rights.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I never equated hackers to pirates. I happily jailbroke my iPhone, my iPod touch, and my iPhone 4 just for a few advanced apps. I hack a lot of my stuff, including my record player.

It's simple. Jailbreaking leads to some users stealing apps, and it doesn't really help Apple that much, so they try to get rid of it. It's not about freedom or human rights.

Well, the courts cared enough to explicitly legalize jailbreaking so it really is about freedom.

Sorry, the way I interpreted your last quote was theives = hackers, because they 'win when it comes to jailbreaking'.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Well, the courts cared enough to explicitly legalize jailbreaking so it really is about freedom.

Sorry, the way I interpreted your last quote was theives = hackers, because they 'win when it comes to jailbreaking'.

Jailbreaking may be legal, but Apple can make it as hard as they want to jailbreak. They just can't refuse service to jailbroken devices.

And when I said that hackers win when it comes to jailbreaking, I was talking about how no matter how much Apple patches iOS to make current jailbreaking methods not work, the hackers always find a way around. They even found an exploit in a version of iOS 4 that allowed it to be jailbroken just by pressing a button on a website, and I did it :)

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Jailbreaking may be legal, but Apple can make it as hard as they want to jailbreak. They just can't refuse service to jailbroken devices.

And when I said that hackers win when it comes to jailbreaking, I was talking about how no matter how much Apple patches iOS to make current jailbreaking methods not work, the hackers always find a way around. They even found an exploit in a version of iOS 4 that allowed it to be jailbroken just by pressing a button on a website, and I did it :)

Is this really true?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
They just can't refuse service to jailbroken devices.)

Actually they can - they claim that jailbreaking voids the warranty since you made unapproved modifications. The only restriction that they have is criminal prosecution due to an exemption by the courts that said jailbreaking is legal.

Being legal doesn't mean that Apple can't deny you service. You can't get out of a murder rap by saying that a hammer is a tool that is perfectly legal to use and own and operate without government regulation. That doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want with with said tool.

Apple is under no legal obligation to service components that were modified outside of the stated warranty. Check out the warranty - it says you are not allowed to modify the software outside of how Apple allows it.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Actually they can - they claim that jailbreaking voids the warranty since you made unapproved modifications. The only restriction that they have is criminal prosecution due to an exemption by the courts that said jailbreaking is legal.

Being legal doesn't mean that Apple can't deny you service. You can't get out of a murder rap by saying that a hammer is a tool that is perfectly legal to use and own and operate without government regulation. That doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want with with said tool.

Apple is under no legal obligation to service components that were modified outside of the stated warranty. Check out the warranty - it says you are not allowed to modify the software outside of how Apple allows it.

Yes, but hardware? I thought this whole thing was about Apple refusing hardware service and warranty to iOS devices just because the software was modified.

I couldn't find any info on this, but I found some personal experiences here. Basically, it's very easy to hide the fact that you jailbroke your iDevice, and according to someone here, the Apple employee stated that they don't care whether or not it was jailbroken previously. People have gotten jailbroken phones exchanged after a restore: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/597041/

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

I feel it's important to note that in all cases, a restore to stock iOS is possible (DFU restore may be needed) and Apple cannot tell that you have jailbroken in the past. The only cases I've heard of where hacking can actually break your device and keep you from getting warranty support is flashing basebands for unlocking.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I feel it's important to note that in all cases, a restore to stock iOS is possible (DFU restore may be needed) and Apple cannot tell that you have jailbroken in the past. The only cases I've heard of where hacking can actually break your device and keep you from getting warranty support is flashing basebands for unlocking.

That may be true, but I wasn't addressing that contingency. I just stated a fact that Apple can deny service if your iPhone is Jailbroken. I never said how they would determine that or if they could. My statement is not dependent on that whatsoever. If someone brings their jailbroken iPhone into Apple they can deny service saying that you voided your warranty.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
That may be true, but I wasn't addressing that contingency. I just stated a fact that Apple can deny service if your iPhone is Jailbroken. I never said how they would determine that or if they could. My statement is not dependent on that whatsoever. If someone brings their jailbroken iPhone into Apple they can deny service saying that you voided your warranty.

Yep. Fair enough.

----------

Gotcha, I just don't like the agony of waiting to see if they really can keep doing it :p

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
There really is no need for widget or live wallpapers. And the only keyboard customization I can see being added is color changes. If you want black keys on a white background just change it in settings, etc.

I use a time widget. Nothing else. I use a black wallpaper. No images to move around and distract me.

I use android so I can have a huge phone, while customization is nice, it really gets old after a few months. Once you fins something that works you stick to it. And iOS just works for most people.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Why anyone would want live wallpapers on their phone is beyond me...

You may not like it, but you may as well let them who do like it have it. Hell, my Nokia 3410 had live wallpapers (in a fashion). iOS is beginning to lag in features and the public are becoming uninterested.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
You may not like it, but you may as well let them who do like it have it. Hell, my Nokia 3410 had live wallpapers (in a fashion). iOS is beginning to lag in features and the public are becoming uninterested.

Someone may want an infrared port or something silly or old technology or whatever in his/her device. Just because there are some minority who want that option, it doesn't mean apple have to implement it. I believe Apple have carefully considered what option to have and what not to have on their devices. Appears so far it has worked.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Someone may want an infrared port or something silly or old technology or whatever in his/her device. Just because there are some minority who want that option, it doesn't mean apple have to implement it. I believe Apple have carefully considered what option to have and what not to have on their devices. Appears so far it has worked.

Fair enough regarding hardware features that's fine. I don't like how Apple restricts the software side. I know that the thought 'Apple knows best' is popular and that's fine, but I don't think Apple always knows what's best for me. Options are not a bad thing in my opinion.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

But it also works on Android. Literally works.

NbinHD

macrumors 6502
Just wait till then end of the year for the new Windows Phone 8 devices. You get a beautiful polished UI with some customization. The live tiles act as a app and a widget to display information. I think I'm jumping ships, just need to wait till the marketplace picks up some app developers.

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
IMO the only reason why "quick link" widgets like weather and stocks are useful on Android are because unless you bring all your apps up to the home screen, it always takes a couple clicks to get to your app menu. With iOS, your apps are right there and ready to open when you unlock the phone. No need for unnecessary clicks or widgets, which are essentially the "middlemen" of the UI.

lol. It only takes one tap to open the app drawer. If someone wanted homescreens filled with walls of icons like iOS, then you can do that on android too. But who the heck would want all their apps on the homescreens on purpose?

And doesn't Android have even MORE bloatware than iOS? And I'm pretty sure you can't get rid of it on Android, either... at least on iOS there's a workaround of sorts -- if you want to use another browser instead of safari, and don't want safari to take up space on your home screen, just turn safari off in the parental settings. Bam! It may still be on your phone, but at least the icon's gone.

No, android doesnt have more bloat. Download any AOSP from from google and it doesnt even come with gmail, maps, etc.

What I don't like about Android is how it locks you in too. Yes, you read that right. I mean, at least the stock browser/mail apps on iOS support search engines/email servers other than Google's.

It's obvious you are clueless when it comes to android.

mrjayviper

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
No, android doesnt have more bloat. Download any AOSP from from google and it doesnt even come with gmail, maps, etc..

only the nexus devices can use those? How about the hundred other phones in the market?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
No, android doesnt have more bloat. Download any AOSP from from google and it doesnt even come with gmail, maps, etc.

Android as an OS itself does not come with any bloatware at all.

It's the OEMs and Carriers that install all the bloatware and makes people assume the OS is full of bloatware.

Another pure example of this is Microsoft Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.