Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Any USB connected DVD/CD (and Blu-Ray?) drive should do. Very economical at $50 or so, if even that! No requirement to buy an Apple-branded drive!

Still not something that should be left out on a computer unless it is a ultrabook. A normal laptop should include a disc drive for many reasons.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
I never understand why people complain about ios not being customisable. When you jailbreak your iOS device you can do basically anything to it. Also, jailbreaking these days is so easy that you dont need any experience on coding or programming or any skills to create a very unique, customised ios device.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Why do people who want iOS to be like Android not just go and buy an Android phone?
I would find it very sad if Apple would go down the route of widgets etc. Most people I know use a time widget (time is already in status bar) and a local weather widget (it is actually faster looking out of a window than getting the phone out of your pocket)

I had no idea you were so good at looking out a window and knowing what the temperature was.

I also did not know you could look out the window in a location that you were about to travel to.

P51

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Why do people who want iOS to be like Android not just go and buy an Android phone?
I would find it very sad if Apple would go down the route of widgets etc. Most people I know use a time widget (time is already in status bar) and a local weather widget (it is actually faster looking out of a window than getting the phone out of your pocket)
Idk about you but most people can't predict the whole weeks weather by looking out the window.....

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
UI doesn't get in the way in Android, but I am able to customize things the way I want. Which is a plus IMO.

Yep, never gets in the way...

sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-ux.jpg

Always consistent,

5152.jpg

Always clean,

2864-4aaa558d1b1a8.jpg

Always.

htc-sense-2.png

(For the record I like Android, HTC's Sense 4.0, and Sony's "whatever it's called" 4.0, but seriously, claiming the UI on Android phones is ridiculous (NOT ALL ANDROID PHONES. HTC Sense 4.0 and Stock Android do a good job of staying out of the way, but a LOT do get in the way and are pretty messy).

Dex4788

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Personally I think the OS should be as minimal as possible, get out of the way, and not try to do everything and be everything.
Does this ideology not clash with the "cluttered" iOS homescreens? I really wouldn't call that minimalist by any definition.

(For the record I like Android, HTC's Sense 4.0, and Sony's "whatever it's called" 4.0, but seriously, claiming the UI on Android phones is ridiculous (NOT ALL ANDROID PHONES. HTC Sense 4.0 and Stock Android do a good job of staying out of the way, but a LOT do get in the way and are pretty messy).
If it's messy, that's completely the user's fault. That's the benefit of customization and control. The end product is a result of what you decide to do. I can just as easily post dozens of very clean and minimalist Android homescreens.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Does this ideology not clash with the "cluttered" iOS homescreens? I really wouldn't call that minimalist by any definition.

You answered your own question:

If it's messy, that's completely the user's fault. That's the benefit of customization and control. The end product is a result of what you decide to do. I can just as easily post dozens of very clean and minimalist Android homescreens.

The only things on the iOS home screen are the app icons, which can be arranged any way the user chooses.

Dex4788

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
You answered your own question:

The only things on the iOS home screen are the app icons, which can be arranged any way the user chooses.
I was referring to Android with the second portion of my post.

The point was that you can't simply "hide" away the apps like you can on a traditional desktop. I don't understand why Apple won't give the option of a universal app drawer, sorted by alphabetical order (or whatever the user desires). It's such an obvious thing to do, especially when handling so many applications. It takes far more time and effort to have to manage my installed apps. I don't want to have worry about where they are.

One press, everything is there. Another press, everything is gone. That's true simplicity.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Does anybody know why Apple doesn't make iOS more customizable like Android? For example, why doesn't iOS have widgets, live wallpaper, multiple keyboards, etc? Is it because these things shorten battery life?

Widgets: annoying and not very useful. Apple tried it in Tiger. The novelty wears off.
Live wallpaper: even more useless and annoying. It can't be good for the battery life either.
Multiple keyboards: not sure what you mean, but iOS supports Bluetooth keyboards and different languages.

Etc: The lack of control on the Android market is the most notable. It's about having a sense of security on iOS. I'd like to have the 100% legit apps on the App Store and the sketchy stuff on Cydia. I've actually tried all of these features in Cydia, and I was not pleased with them.

Last edited:

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Because Apple's main customers don't know the difference between a HDD and a SSD.
There are WAY more people with Windows that have no clue what the difference is... Most of the population uses Windows so your point is invalid...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
There are WAY more people with Windows that have no clue what the difference is... Most of the population uses Windows so your point is invalid...

Your logic is way off. Just because there are many Windows users who don't know about SSDs doesn't mean that most Apple users know about SSDs. And you're not even using a proportion.

But what percentage of Windows users don't know? The percentage matters! I still think it's a higher percentage than Mac users since a higher percentage of Mac users are young people, mostly in college or high school, and young people are generally more knowledgable about 21st century machines.

----------

Because Apple's main customers don't know the difference between a HDD and a SSD.

If they God forbid, let us customize things, well then thats just more things that the technologically inadequate people can screw up. Unfortunately that hurts people like most of us who know what and how to use more complex features.

Why don't you just jailbreak if you're that hardcore? The process of jailbreaking is easy.

Last edited:

NbinHD

macrumors 6502
I think the primary reason is branding. The iPhone is iconic, and the springboard UI, with the brightly-colored app icons, is a big part of that. On the original iPhone, there were no 3rd party apps, there was no springboard rearrangement, there was no springboard wallpaper - ALL (non-jailbroken) iPhones looked exactly the same. In addition to keeping things as simple as possible, I really think the idea was to to make the iPhone (UI and all) an icon, just like the iPod was before it. They've loosened up a bit since then, by necessity due to the explosion of the app store, but in general I think this idea is still persistent.

Secondarily, there are performance concerns like Battery life and lag that are always side-effects of customizations, live-wallpapers, and widgets.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but we don't have widgets on iOS, yet the battery life on the iPhone 4s is shocking. Samsungs S3 can be full of widgets and still lasts 2 full days of moderate to heavy use.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
----------

[/COLOR]
I know rentals aren't $10 but I know to buy movies it can be up to $20. I would much rather go on amazon and buy the bluray version which will most likely come with an ultraviolet copy plus bonus features. Not putting a DVD drive in the new macbook is further proof that Apple wants you to buy everything from them. What about all of the CD's people have bought over the years or movies that people want to watch on their computer. Oh just go out and buy an external Apple DVD drive...another way for Apple to make money on standard items.

DVD drive is an old technology! Remember floppy drive?
I have DVD drive on my last years iMac... i don't think i have used it twice. And i use my iMac on a daily basis.
Oh... and i have never rented or bought any movies from iTune. I use Netflix and other services. There is plenty options around if you know where to look.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but we don't have widgets on iOS, yet the battery life on the iPhone 4s is shocking. Samsungs S3 can be full of widgets and still lasts 2 full days of moderate to heavy use.

If that's true, i would say Hallelujah!
Because i used galaxy SII and battery was absolutely crap! Phone would overheat after apps crashing, battery would drain quickly!Sold it after 3 months of using it and not even dreaming of buyng any more android phone right now. I have not used SIII though so i can't comment on it.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Why don't you just jailbreak if you're that hardcore? The process of jailbreaking is easy.

Actually its not that big a deal to me. I'm fine with iOS (although I may try Android just because I'm curious) I was just stating that Apple wants a to keep things as simple as possible so the mass market of iOS buyers fully understand the iPhone. If they start to complicate/let us customize things, some customers may be a little put off by it. I was just being a little melodramatic

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Widgets: annoying and not very useful. Apple tried it in Tiger. The novelty wears off.
Live wallpaper: even more useless and annoying. It can't be good for the battery life either.
Multiple keyboards: not sure what you mean, but iOS supports Bluetooth keyboards and different languages.

Etc: The lack of control on the Android market is the most notable. It's about having a sense of security on iOS. I'd like to have the 100% legit apps on the App Store and the sketchy stuff on Cydia. I've actually tried all of these features in Cydia, and I was not pleased with them.

Widgets made no sense in tiger because they put them on a separate screen and not on the desktop. Mac os is also not very focused on the desktop anyway. IOS on the other hand relies heavily on its homescreen. Widgets would make sense.

Another thing apple to needs to open up to is third party keyboards and launchers. If someone wants to use those things they should be able to without jailbreaking.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Actually its not that big a deal to me. I'm fine with iOS (although I may try Android just because I'm curious) I was just stating that Apple wants a to keep things as simple as possible so the mass market of iOS buyers fully understand the iPhone. If they start to complicate/let us customize things, some customers may be a little put off by it. I was just being a little melodramatic

Oh OK. I don't blame them though; I've actually seriously messed up my Mac with all of my mods. Well, probably just a few caused the problems. I probably also did a lot of Leopard-only hacks then upgraded to Snow Leopard, which is why I'm having issues now.

A word of advice: Don't use root as your main account like my cousin did unless you want to turn your Mac OS into Windows 98. And don't install WINE three times with CrossOver, WineBottler, and MacPorts.

----------

Another thing apple to needs to open up to is third party keyboards and launchers. If someone wants to use those things they should be able to without jailbreaking.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean third-party physical keyboards and a replacement for the app grid where you click an app to open it?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I think that speaks to one of the reasons why Apple doesn't go into that area. Part of it is philosophical for sure - keeping things clean, consistent, and simple. I also think they see customization as the bane of support since it introduces so many areas where things can go wrong and can just ruin the experience for users - something that Apple developed for many years. Apple chooses to do one thing (or a couple things) and do them incredibly well and they sacrifice customizability banking on the things they have control over are the things that people will find important.

But they also want to look at supporting these things. Honestly, when has your system ever had any major problem with adding/changing wallpaper or a ringtone. Heck, for years their system lacked multitasking until they hammered out the best way to do that without compromises. Wasn't available for about 3 years!

Ultimately Apple believes that customization is like handling lit dynamite. Some people can treat it carefully and some areas it might be good idea, but most people aren't likely to understand the problems and start complaining when things go awry and they expect Apple to deal with it. Apple would much rather come up with a much more safer thing that isn't going to just blow up for most people and s going to cause more headaches down the line.

Apple just isn't going to give people a rope to hang themselves else they be labeled the executioner. They would much limit things since it's safer that way.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
In my opinion jailbroken iOS is the best mobile OS out there. It's the best of both worlds, iOS's typical polish and responsiveness with android's customization and freedom.

If Apple were to squelch jailbreaking, I would be very disappointed. I understand why Apple wouldn't officially sanction it, but don't let the ability for users to take complete control over their device go away!

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have always been and posted a few times I was an anti widget guy especially time and weather and got flamed a few times but glad to see most here agree.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
In my opinion jailbroken iOS is the best mobile OS out there. It's the best of both worlds, iOS's typical polish and responsiveness with android's customization and freedom.

Somehow i agree with you but not totally.
For one, my jailbroken iPhone 4s is noticeably slower then it was before it was jailbroken. Sometime it lags. But nothing to serious for me though, some ppl may not like it. There is plenty of useful stuff in Cydia and also plenty of crap! Am only using few like Activator, applocker, iGotYa etc. Got tired of various themes and now only using the apples default. Find it much more relaxing.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
Oh OK. I don't blame them though; I've actually seriously messed up my Mac with all of my mods. Well, probably just a few caused the problems. I probably also did a lot of Leopard-only hacks then upgraded to Snow Leopard, which is why I'm having issues now.

A word of advice: Don't use root as your main account like my cousin did unless you want to turn your Mac OS into Windows 98. And don't install WINE three times with CrossOver, WineBottler, and MacPorts.

----------

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean third-party physical keyboards and a replacement for the app grid where you click an app to open it?

Obviously you have no idea what you are doing (screwing up the OS) and you also don't know what you're talking about. (blind about keyboards. The guy is talking about the keyboards on the phone not physical keyboards...LMAO!

I for one would like more customization. I want to be able to do what I want with my phone. I am jailbroken, and I like it, just wish there were more/better widgets.

Part of the reason I'm pondering switching to android. Bigger screens and more customization

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.